• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Belgariad

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Classic Fantasy series by David Eddings. Archetypal fantasy plot, but has engaging and memorable characters with humorous, sharp dialogue. I've only read the first series, consisting of five books, but there is a second series of five called the Malloreon in which characters from the first book have aged 15 years or so. Here's my guesses as to the types of the expansive cast of characters.

Garion: ISTP? 6w5-9w8-3w4 sp/sx RCUAI (I often find protagonists difficult to type, and Garion is mainly supposed to represent the coming of age from a boy to a man and king/hero rather than a distinct personality type)

Belgarath: isTP 9w8 or 7w8-5w6-3w2 sp/sx xCUEI (definitely xxTP, but I could see him as any of them. Wise, michievous old man archetype, like Gandalf or Zedd, but more lazy.) His constant arguments with Polgara seem be classic examples of their contrasting P/J nature, each of whom has a strong preference in that area.

Polgara: INTJ 1w9-5w6-2w1 sp/sx RCOEx (wise, regal, strict yet subtly motherly, powerful sorceress archetype.) I can see how some might want to type her as INFJ, but I disagree. Definitely Te/Fi over Fe/Ti.

Silk: EnTP 7w6 or 3 sx/so SCuEI (obvious ExTP trickster/lovable rogue archetype and one of the most interesting and entertaining characters of the series. Has elements of both Se and Ne.)

Ce'Nedra: ENFJ 3w2-7w6-8w7 so/sx SLxEN (manipulative, arrogant, bratty princess archetype)

Durnik: ISFJ 6w5-1w2-2w1 sp/so RCOAN
Barak: ISTJ or ISTP 6w5-8w9-2w1 so/sp scuan
Hettar: ISTP 5w6-9w8-3w4 sp/sx RCOEN
Mandorallen: ESFJ (or ESFP?) 1w2 or 8w7-6w7-2w1 sx/so SCOAN
Relg: ESFJ 1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sx SLOEN
Taiba: ESFP 2w1-7w8-8w7 sx/so SCOAN
Lelldorin: ESFP 7w6-1w9-4w3 sx/so SLUAI
Asharak/Chamdar: ENTJ 8w7-3w4-5w6 sx/sp SLxEx
Brill: ISTP 6w5-8w9-3w2 sp/sx RCOEN
Taur Urgas: ESTP 8w7-6w7-3w2 sx/sp SLUEN
Ctuchik: ENTP 8w7-7w6-3w4 sx/so RxxEI
'Zakath: INFP or INTP 4w5-5w4-9w8 sx/sp RCOxI
Ariana: ExFx (ESFP?) 9w1 or 2w3-7w6 so/sx SLxAN
Adara :wubbie:: ISFP 9w1-4w5-6w5 sp/sx RCxAI
Salmissra: ISFP? 4w3-8w7-7w8 sx/sx/sx
Anheg: ???? 6w5-1w9-3w2 so/sp SLUEI
Rhodar: ENTJ 3w4 or 8w7-6w5 so/sp SCOEI
Fulrach: xSFJ 6-1w9-2w1 xCOAN
Cho-Hag: ISTP? 9w8-6w5-3w4 sp/sx RCOxx
Brand: ISTJ 1w9 or 6w5-2w1 sp/so RCOxN
Islena: ISFP? 4w3-6w7-9w8 sx/sp SLUAI
Porenn: ENFx? 2w1-6w7-1w2 so/sx SCOAI
Layla: ESFJ 2w1-6w7-1w2 so/sp SLOAN
Beldin: ENTJ 3w2-8w7-5w6 so/sp SCOEx
Gorim of Ulgo: INFJ 1w2-9w1-6w5 so/sp RCOAI
Errand: INFP 9w1 archetype RCUAI

Last edited:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Funny, I don't usually agree with people in these sorts of threads, but you are spot-on in your estimations.
My gut kept saying "correct" at all points.
For the record, I have read all these books (the Belgariad and the Malloreon + change) over and over again since I was ten.

I really don't have anything to add besides agreeing :)

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks! :D It's good to know such a great fan of the books finds my estimates accurate. I should really get around to reading the Malloreon.

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't see Ce'nedra as ENFJ. Dom-tert ENFP, more likely.

I will omit the Ti-analysis.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
None of those look jarringly wrong. I get the impression from Belgarath's earlier studies in the Vale of Aldur that he's more INTP than isTP, but I can't be bothered looking for supporting evidence for that. And if you've read the Belgariad you've basically read the Mallorean, and also both Sparhawk series. Eddings doesnt seem to change his characters or plotlines too much. Orb of Aldur = Bhelliom, Azash = Torak, Sparhawk = Garion, Ehlana = Ce'nedra, Kurik = Durnik, Kalten = Barak, Polgara = Sephrenia, Talen = Silk etc.

I'm rereading the Elenium right now. Not because I thought they were amazing books, but more because I find something very soothing about rereading fantasy books I first read years and years ago. They're my bedtime stories. It's probably an Si thing. Actually I'm probably due for a rereading of Lord of the Rings. It's been about 10 years now I think. Possibly enough time that my rereading won't be polluted by images from the movies.

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see Ce'nedra as ENFJ. Dom-tert ENFP, more likely.

I will omit the Ti-analysis.

I understand why you would think that, what with her efficient organizing in the last two books looking like Te, (and her being in a double extraverted function loop making alot of sense) but I really don't see much Ne in her. She's a very obvious Je dom, and a very obvious feeler, so ExFJ makes more sense.

None of those look jarringly wrong. I get the impression from Belgarath's earlier studies in the Vale of Aldur that he's more INTP than isTP, but I can't be bothered looking for supporting evidence for that. And if you've read the Belgariad you've basically read the Mallorean, and also both Sparhawk series. Eddings doesnt seem to change his characters or plotlines too much. Orb of Aldur = Bhelliom, Azash = Torak, Sparhawk = Garion, Ehlana = Ce'nedra, Kurik = Durnik, Kalten = Barak, Polgara = Sephrenia, Talen = Silk etc.

I'm rereading the Elenium right now. Not because I thought they were amazing books, but more because I find something very soothing about rereading fantasy books I first read years and years ago. They're my bedtime stories. It's probably an Si thing. Actually I'm probably due for a rereading of Lord of the Rings. It's been about 10 years now I think. Possibly enough time that my rereading won't be polluted by images from the movies.

Yeah, from Belgarath's descriptions of himself as a boy and especially his time in the tower xNTP would be the obvious choice. But throughout the journey he displays alot of sensing traits.

I know what you mean about rereading fantasy books. I very rarely reread books, but I've read the Chronicles of Narnia many times. It is a sort of comforting Si/Ne fond memories/escapism thing. I love it!

A few more characters:
Yarblek: iSTP or 7w8-9w8-3w? SCxEI
Issus: Yet another ISTP 6w5-9w8-3w4 RCOAx