• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dexter

narticus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Unless someone makes a case for the childhood trauma forcing Dexter into some sort of stressed/inferior function personality, I think INT is just about a given. I'm not completely caught up (still in season 1), but I have seen him beat himself up over process (Te), which he rigidly adheres to, but not over theory (Ti). He seems to have a more developed personal value system (Fi) than a desire to adhere to a societal norm (Fe)*, and Fi as a tertiary trait would fit this well (as he matures, he becomes comfortable with his personal value system of accepting killing as fine, so long as the victims meet a minimum standard of badness). I'm therefore going with INTJ, but you wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard to convert me to INTP.

* Yes, I know there are vague, stereotypical views of these functions, but come on, we're talking about a lovable television serial killer; cut me some slack.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
He's damaged so it's hard to say, but either way he is SO J. I originally thought INTJ, but somebody theorized INFJ which is an idea that intrigues me. He definitely has a people-oriented ethic and outlook. I can see it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Just curious why you guys think INTP. He's so methodical and routine-oriented and locked into his rituals, he seems like a clear J to me. He's trying to organize the world in his "take out the trash" quest, and he adheres to his father's "code" over his own minute-to-minute thinking.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seeing how Noel compared me to Dexter in the "How We (Really) Look" thread, I'd say INTJ, as well! :D

But I haven't watched the show.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've watched the first season and I'm waiting for the second to come out on DVD. He gets uncomfortable when he leaves his prescribed routine. I just don't see a scrap of P in the guy at all. He's almost a caricature of a J, in fact. (I guess he is one, being a fictional character and all.)

narticus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Is this an autobiographical slant? ;)

No, No, and I say it again: No. I'm to rigid to even think of giving up my J.

Upon further reflection, I am more certain of Dexter's J. One reason that you wouldn't have to twist my arm to hard, though, is due to two strained tendons in my left shoulder. You'd have to twist my right arm pretty hard to get me to call him and INTP.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
When I saw INTP.. I was beginning to doubt my typing abilities, but no Dexter is a definite INTJ. He is likely based off the 'INTJ' scientist type..

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
iNventive!

and future oriented..

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
To me he almost seems like a wounded Idealist. He's so people-oriented, despite not fully understanding them or himself. And he has this ethical (albeit unusual) code that he is trying to uphold. It's the ethical system, rather than the actual people, that he is concerned with. So, I see NF all over him.

NT is tempting because he's so impersonal but I think that's because of his past. You can see that he's clearly trying to connect to his girlfriend, although he's blocked because he has to protect himself first and foremost. The first time they had sex was one of the sweetest, hottest TV moments I can remember.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
INFJ is much more likely than INTP.

lalala

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think Dexter is an INTJ. I agree with everyone here who has noted he's almost a parody of a J and he's pretty clearly I and N.

From watching Six Feet Under and Dexter, I do think Michael C Hall may be an INFJ. I'm an INFJ, I don't really have clear reason for suggesting Hall is an INFJ other than my INFJ spidey sense.

But maybe that's why some are suggesting Dexter is an INFJ instead of INTJ, because of Hall's INFJness coming through?

Typing fictional characters is hard to even attempt, since it is always a mix of the actor playing the character, the writers' vision, and other things. Still, it is a fun exercise. I just started watching Dexter on DVD recently, it's a really addictive show.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
I actually identify with Dexter a lot. No no, don't be afraid :). I just have some misantrophic qualities. And even though I can't put it properly into words, I feel very little for people unknown or distant to me. Sometimes I happen to think if I'm emotionally dead to some degree, if I'm not feeling anything when I "should", but that's just the misantrophy talking. I'm just saying that even INFJs, despite being the empaths, could turn out really ugly if wounded at the core...

Before reading this thread I had been thinking he's an INTJ. But then some people brought up the possibility that he's an INFJ, which is a very interesting twist I hadn't thought about. Yeah, he might be.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The more I watch, the more I think he really must be INFJ. Consider how much he uses Fe, even if it is wounded Fe.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
Today a funny thought occurred to me. Don't take this post too seriously. INFJs are known as problem avoiders and doorslammers. I can see some of that past trauma avoidance in Dexter, but I also thought that killing someone is like the ultimate form of doorslam. No? Okay.