• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dexter

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I dunno about INTJ. With Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory I identified instantly (general inclinations blown completely out of proportion and OCD mind you :p), Dexter not at all. He's not very hard at all. He just kills people.

And follows someone else's code. And though he claims not to feel is way more emotion-oriented in his analyses. INTJs (stereotypical) feel and have emotion working on them without realising it and don't take emotion into account. This seems to be the reverse for Dexter.

Of course there's the psychopath thing. And the fictional thing.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
Dexter not at all. He's not very hard at all. He just kills people.

And follows someone else's code. And though he claims not to feel is way more emotion-oriented in his analyses. INTJs (stereotypical) feel and have emotion working on them without realising it and don't take emotion into account. This seems to be the reverse for Dexter.

Of course there's the psychopath thing. And the fictional thing.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I think what makes him such a psycho is the fact that he isn't as cold and rational as he'd like to be. Again, were he a rational I don't think he'd be portrayed in the same manner. Don't you think there's a point to him trying so hard to be a cynic? Doesn't that scream out to you 'who is he trying to fool?'

People make it sound as if he's changing personality in the lastest season because he's showing signs of Fe. Isn't it logical to conclude that he had that function all along, but being socially retarded it's only surfacing now - rather than his entire personality changing?

Last edited:

Aphex

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Dexter- INTJ
Debra- ESTP
Rita- ESFJ
Maria- ENTJ
Angel- INTP

Aphex

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What the hell?

Debra, because she is a straight-talking, straight-shooting and fast-paced type who likes to get shit done. But I think she might really be an ENTP on closer inspection, what's your opinion on that?

As for Angel, I guess he could be an INFP more than an INTP. What are your opinions of their type?

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
Debra, because she is a straight-talking, straight-shooting and fast-paced type who likes to get shit done. But I think she might really be an ENTP on closer inspection, what's your opinion on that?

As for Angel, I guess he could be an INFP more than an INTP. What are your opinions of their type?

Angel is not N. Just, no.

Debra seems ENFP to me.

Aphex

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Angel is not N. Just, no.

Debra seems ENFP to me.

Don't take my opinion too seriously. I barely watch the show; I've seen less than 10 episodes at best. I thoroughly enjoy it however, and was just having a bit of fun speculation.

You should probably just ignore my post, clearly I don't have enough knowledge of the show, lol. :jew:

Btw, the (pretty retarded) reasoning behind my N typing is because crime invesigators seem to be more lenient towards this, given that they have to think outside the box a lot and observe with speculation. Idk.

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
As an ENTJ, Frank Lundy is the only character I identify with personality-wise. He's precise, sees the big picture, and is always up for a challenge. Plus he easily subordinates personal interests to professional interests, so I don't know where people are getting ENFP.

With the other ENTJ candidates, I'd put Doakes down for ISTJ, and LaGuerta down for ENFJ. Doakes only sees the details right in front of him, which is why he is the only one suspicious of Dexter. He also lets his SJ "shoulds" get the best of him. LaGuerta has a very people-y, as opposed to an analytic, leadership style, which is why she isn't Te (ESTJ or ENTJ) but Fe, probably ENFJ, since she seems to bring situational insight.

Debra is the ENFP. Rita = INFP. Quinn's a little iffy, I'd say ESTP. Matsuka= ENTP. Batista seems like an SF of some sort, maybe an overworked ESFP, though I'm more likely wrong here than with anyone else.

Dexter seems like an INTJ mastermind, because we see the planning. But he doesn't have the intellectual interests and some of the INTJs above don't identify with him. If so, has anyone considered ISFJ for Dex McDexerton? INTJ was also my first guess, though I'm not sure if INTJs would have the indirect fakeyness (Fe?) or the shoulds of The Code (Si).

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As an ENTJ, Frank Lundy is the only character I identify with personality-wise. He's precise, sees the big picture, and is always up for a challenge. Plus he easily subordinates personal interests to professional interests, so I don't know where people are getting ENFP.

With the other ENTJ candidates, I'd put Doakes down for ISTJ, and LaGuerta down for ENFJ. Doakes only sees the details right in front of him, which is why he is the only one suspicious of Dexter. He also lets his SJ "shoulds" get the best of him. LaGuerta has a very people-y, as opposed to an analytic, leadership style, which is why she isn't Te (ESTJ or ENTJ) but Fe, probably ENFJ, since she seems to bring situational insight.

Debra is the ENFP. Rita = INFP. Quinn's a little iffy, I'd say ESTP. Matsuka= ENTP. Batista seems like an SF of some sort, maybe an overworked ESFP, though I'm more likely wrong here than with anyone else.

Dexter seems like an INTJ mastermind, because we see the planning. But he doesn't have the intellectual interests and some of the INTJs above don't identify with him. If so, has anyone considered ISFJ for Dex McDexerton? INTJ was also my first guess, though I'm not sure if INTJs would have the indirect fakeyness (Fe?) or the shoulds of The Code (Si).

^ I could see ENFJ for Lundy, which might explain the identification with another ENJ?

How exactly do you get P for Debra (ESFJ)? Or Rita (ISFJ)? Doakes is far more ISTP than ISTJ in his gross disregard for the justice system's rules. Quinn seems awfully ISFP with an exaggerated macho front to hide his sensitivity (not uncommon for ISFP males who are raised to display traditional "masculinity.")

I originally had ENTJ for LaGuerta but actually I think you have a pretty good case for ENFJ. Sometimes T women will adopt more F-isms due to upbringing and social expectations so they can be hard to read.

Interestingly your ESFP for Batista is spot on, and certainly not where you're the most wrong.

As for Dexter...

I thought INTJ at first too but there is a nocap post somewhere in thread that makes the case for ISTJ really convincingly. Look at how Dexter reasons: When he needs guidance, he relies on immersing himself into extremely detailed past impressions of his father's personality in order collect information on a situation.

He always relates new information back to the things he already knows from experience, and he has a sensory fixation with blood which is also very Si...he most desires to relive one particular kind of sensory experience that evokes the stored impressions of previous murders. He doesn't make connections by changing the framework; he just recalls sensory data with extraordinary clarity and constantly lets it guide his current situation.

All of his kill sites are designed to the exact detailed specifications (down to the pictures of their victims and cutting their cheeks) that evoke his favorite memories of past murders!

Even his blood slides are Si; he collects physical objects that evoke the stored impressions of the sensations he enjoys. SJs who are interested in history collect stamps, memoirs, war books, what have you...SJs who are interested in music collect instruments, physical copies of music, etc. Having these "collections" around stimulates Si to evoke the intense recollection of those experiences most enjoyed.

Dexter most enjoys blood, and the slides do just that for him.

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Debra is extremely impulsive. She even changes her mind in the world of love without consideration for the other person-- she likes the possibilities more than what is fixed and stable. Debra also solves cases by aha! moments, sniffing out possibilities, and following hunches no one else believes.

Rita doesn't seem like a very earthy person. She's more of an essence reader, someone who orders the world in terms of importance and worth. She's gentle, kind, empathetic, and easily hurt. Her feeling isn't like Fe team building, and she doesn't have a lot of social awareness either. This all points to Fi, probably INFP, since she idealizes her relationships instead of having fun or watching tv.

Ah, how did we forget? Miguel Prado should also be on Team ENTJ!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Debra is extremely impulsive. She even changes her mind in the world of love without consideration for the other person-- she likes the possibilities more than what is fixed and stable. Debra also solves cases by aha! moments, sniffing out possibilities, and following hunches no one else believes.

Fair...that's a pretty good argument. I have her as ESFJ because I noticed her ardent insistence on respecting family traditions/fulfilling expected familial roles (Dad's birthday, etc.), which seems very Fe. I think her impulsiveness can be explained by tertiary Ne leading her to get restless with what is and seek newer, more exciting possibilities. This always seems to happen when she is very stressed out and tertiary functions start coming in.

Her "aha!" moments usually require someone else pointing her in the right direction (often Dexter or Lundy) which I don't think would be true for many Ne doms.

Rita doesn't seem like a very earthy person. She's more of an essence reader, someone who orders the world in terms of importance and worth. She's gentle, kind, empathetic, and easily hurt. Her feeling isn't like Fe team building, and she doesn't have a lot of social awareness either. This all points to Fi, probably INFP, since she idealizes her relationships instead of having fun or watching tv.

Rita is extremely conscious of "what the neighbors think!" and her biggest issues with Dexter are when she feels he isn't living up to his familial obligations to her and the kids. I don't know what you mean by Fe team building--I don't think that's really what Fe does.

She's very aware of social etiquette standards, even publicly chiding Dexter for not observing them at times. Gentle/kind/empathetic/easily hurt is the case for quite a lot of people of all four I_F_ types.

Where do you get social unawareness? The only Ne I ever see in her is when she's really worried (like when Dexter doesn't come home on time) and starts imagining the worst possible absurd scenarios, very characteristic of inferior Ne.

Ah, how did we forget? Miguel Prado should also be on Team ENTJ!

Miguel seemed more ENFJ to me with his extraordinary charisma. I suppose the killing could be an expression of inferior Fi's anger at the justice system's failure, which could support ENTJ. There are a lot of very charismatic ENTJs, I suppose.

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Where do you get social unawareness?
Well, consider how she was fired from her job. Rita was more concerned about how the customer made *Rita* feel, instead of how Rita was making the customer feel. We would expect one of the four FJ types to be excellent at establishing rapport, creating harmony, and letting the customer know they're on the customer's side.

BTW, I hate Rita, and rooted for her to die all four seasons! :devil:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, consider how she was fired from her job. Rita was more concerned about how the customer made *Rita* feel, instead of how Rita was making the customer feel. We would expect one of the four FJ types to be excellent at establishing rapport, creating harmony, and letting the customer know they're on the customer's side.

Fair, but she's pregnant and incredibly stressed out. Fe might react negatively here because it perceives the customer as being unduly rude, not observing the general rules for how strangers in public should treat each other.

Little_Sticks

Did anyone who has seen season 4 find it interesting that through Trinity Dexter realizes he has a conscience? At least that was what he seemed to realize in himself, as if it was something he always had, but was unable to realize without 'enough experience'. Is this important in typing him?

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Did anyone who has seen season 4 find it interesting that through Trinity Dexter realizes he has a conscious?
I'm pretty sure he was conscious most of the time, though whether he has a conscience is debatable.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Did anyone who has seen season 4 find it interesting that through Trinity Dexter realizes he has a conscious? At least that was what he seemed to realize in himself, as if it was something he always had, but was unable to realize without 'enough experience'. Is this important in typing him?

tert Fi

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Disagreements and Additions

Dexter Morgan - INTJ (Just because he may be repressing emotion, doesn't automatically make him a closet F. Dexter always is the one to choose reason over emotion).

Bryan 'The Ice Truck Killer' Moser - ENTP (I doubt this can be disputed).

Lila - ENTP (She wants to find out what makes Dexter tick; not an S trait. She also lets off very similar vibes to Bryan Moser despite the gender difference which would explain her preference towards manipulation over serial-killing).

Debra Morgan - ENFP (She takes emotional problems far too strongly to be an xSFx). I have an ESFP mother and an ENFP sister and the difference is very easy to see after a while.

Rita Bennett - INFJ (Her sense of how things 'should' be seem to stem from a personal sense of justice rather than an adopted one. Compare with Maria who states her 'shoulds' rather than reflecting on them).

James Doakes - ESTP (An ESTP in a foul mood can be just domineering as an ENTJ, but in doing so they are more likely to take the law in their own hands and forget to think before they leap. His xSxP moodswings also point away from the xNTx rationale).

Miguel Prado - ENTJ (Authoritative, domineering and likes to take things into his own hands but not a wild card like Doakes.)

More to come once I see the next season.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Frank Lundy - INTJ (He prefers his peace and quiet, see how he always takes time alone for his sandwich. Lundy differs from Dexter in that his Introversion is not as extreme as Dexter, allowing him to freely exercise charisma when the opportunity demands it.)

Angel Batista - ESFP (I have no idea how anyone could possibly call him an IxPx anything.)

Maria LaGuerta - ESTJ (She's hard, she's rigid, she hates ENFP Debra Morgan, she directs the correct way while devoid of flashes of genius.)

Vincent Masouka - XXXX (How can we type Masouka, when he doesn't really know himself? The character thrives on being the court jester and while this in a normal case would point to an ExTP, his clear fragility and need to be accepted through these measures suggests another type, maybe an F. Masouka spends just as much time trying to be someone else as Dexter does, only we know how Dexter really is.)