User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Thread: Dexter

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Hi everyone

Massive Dexter fan here, and I must admit I joined this board just to participate in this discussion, since I've been trying to type the characters for a while. I'm still fairly new to this typing thing so some of the arguments go over my head, but I'm willing to learn.

Thank you similutedworld for your post - awesome - but it also raised a few questions for me.

Firstly, I find it interesting that so many of the PD characters are typed as Ns - Doakes, Deb, Harry, Maria, Masuka and Dexter himself. The last three I agree with completely, but I'm not so sure about the first three. Simply because, from what I've read, most police officers are Ss. But perhaps its their iNtuition that has elevated these characters from typically S uniformed positions to the more N-like detective work.

Doakes is the main one I'm thinking about. Can someone tell me why he wouldn't be ISTP? Because his preferred mode - lone wolf, not bound by convention, free to take risks - seems like classic SP to me. Plus, I would imagine that a Black Ops operator, working mostly on his own like he did, would basically describe an ISTP. He doesn't seem meticulous enough to be INTJ, for mine. Sure, he certainly uses his intuition in suspecting Dexter as a bad guy, but it's based on his own experiences - what he has observed in Black Ops - not some NT-like reasoning of "research shows this is what bad guys are like".

On the other hand, if Deb is an S she'd have to be ESFJ, because the E, F and J are all obvious with her. And I can't see her as an ESFJ - not traditional enough - not really the motherly, dinner-party-organiser type. Plus, it's probably her N-ness that enables Maria to eventually (grudgingly) respect her as a detective. As an NT myself (like Maria), I reserve particular snobbery towards Ss who miss my intellectual point. :o. But I do think Deb might be losing some of her Judging nature, especially in season 3 with her relationship with Anton. (For Dexter's sake, he'd have to hope she becomes a bit more P or else she may turn him into a punching bag when she finds out Rudy was his brother.)

Plus, I still think Dexter is INTJ. He may be becoming more INFJ, but the majority of his decisions, including the decisions about whom he is going to kill, are made using T, not F. The times when he's exercised F in decision-making (whacking Paul with skillet, headbutting Doakes, doing risky stuff with Lila, stabbing Hicks when he insulted Rita) have been exceptions, not norms for him. His natural sociopathic side - his Dark Passenger - may be more F, but he is able to control that part of him mostly.

Finally, been trying to type a couple of the minor season 3 characters.

I'm thinking Ellen Wolf as an ENTP - typical defence lawyer, flexible, can take a hard-arse approach when needed, doesn't particularly care whether her clients are innocent or not, just whether she can succeed in her defence of them. She also displays what could be seen as "masculine" type tendencies regarding her sexual relationships. But she has strong F characteristics, as shown by her willingness to help others, so she'd be borderline ENFP.

Sylvia - ESFJ? I think she's pretty similar to Rita - which explains why they get on - but more extraverted (would need to be in her job).

Thoughts?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think I agree about Doakes as an ISTP. But Deb, I'm not sure where you're seeing obvious J. I see her as a classic SP, probably ESFP (maybe T). Remember when she was living with Dexter after the exciting season 1 finale? They had all the classic "Odd Couple" J vs P conflicts, like her leaving out the OJ and him putting it away with exasperation.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I think I agree about Doakes as an ISTP. But Deb, I'm not sure where you're seeing obvious J. I see her as a classic SP, probably ESFP (maybe T). Remember when she was living with Dexter after the exciting season 1 finale? They had all the classic "Odd Couple" J vs P conflicts, like her leaving out the OJ and him putting it away with exasperation.
    I just went along with the J diagnosis for Deb because of the ENFJ typing from the previous poster.

I can see both J and P in her, TBH. P for the untidiness and impulsiveness (maybe the swearing too). But J for her lack of flexibility and "black and white" nature. She's also pretty dogged and single-minded once she makes her mind up about something.

I also think that most cops would be J -that's the nature of the job. Harry was, I think, and I would expect Deb to inherit that from him at least. In contrast, the show seems to depict (at least in season 3 anyway) Angel and Quinn as less succesful cops because of their P-ness. Certainly there were times where Quinn made mistakes because he wasn't decisive enough.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by clairebbbear View Post
    Hi everyone

Massive Dexter fan here, and I must admit I joined this board just to participate in this discussion, since I've been trying to type the characters for a while. I'm still fairly new to this typing thing so some of the arguments go over my head, but I'm willing to learn.

Thank you similutedworld for your post - awesome - but it also raised a few questions for me.

Firstly, I find it interesting that so many of the PD characters are typed as Ns - Doakes, Deb, Harry, Maria, Masuka and Dexter himself. The last three I agree with completely, but I'm not so sure about the first three. Simply because, from what I've read, most police officers are Ss. But perhaps its their iNtuition that has elevated these characters from typically S uniformed positions to the more N-like detective work.
    I didn't type Masuka as N; I said he was ESTP. I wrote this several months ago when I first joined the forum and it was one of my first exercises in typing fictional characters. When I started I tended to overestimate the frequency of N characters, so I'll reconsider a few of these.

I'm still pretty certain that Maria is ENTJ, but Deb could possibly be ESFJ. She's obviously ExFJ, and traditional career advancement and "success" seem very important to her. She also gets really sensitive over traditions/holidays like Harry's birthday and so on, so ESFJ is possible, but ENFJ is still a decent guess. She seems fairly borderline between the two.

But I'm not budging on Harry. Classic INFJ guilt complex.

Doakes is the main one I'm thinking about. Can someone tell me why he wouldn't be ISTP? Because his preferred mode - lone wolf, not bound by convention, free to take risks - seems like classic SP to me. Plus, I would imagine that a Black Ops operator, working mostly on his own like he did, would basically describe an ISTP. He doesn't seem meticulous enough to be INTJ, for mine. Sure, he certainly uses his intuition in suspecting Dexter as a bad guy, but it's based on his own experiences - what he has observed in Black Ops - not some NT-like reasoning of "research shows this is what bad guys are like".
    You and Ivy are probably right; this is a compelling argument. I still occasionally have trouble telling the difference between ISTP and INTJ in certain people, and we don't get a lot of insight into the inner workings of Doakes' mind...but looking back on what I wrote before and what you have to say about it now, ISTP does seem a better fit for Doakes...I hereby amend my position on that.

On the other hand, if Deb is an S she'd have to be ESFJ, because the E, F and J are all obvious with her. And I can't see her as an ESFJ - not traditional enough - not really the motherly, dinner-party-organiser type. Plus, it's probably her N-ness that enables Maria to eventually (grudgingly) respect her as a detective. As an NT myself (like Maria), I reserve particular snobbery towards Ss who miss my intellectual point. :o. But I do think Deb might be losing some of her Judging nature, especially in season 3 with her relationship with Anton. (For Dexter's sake, he'd have to hope she becomes a bit more P or else she may turn him into a punching bag when she finds out Rudy was his brother.)
    See above; ESFJs aren't all motherly or dinner-party-organizing. In fact, ENFJs tend to really like organizing social events where they can bring different combinations of people from different social groups together and find ways to help them help themselves and each other. I'm still slightly in favor of ENFJ for Deb, but she's not that far from ESFJ.

Plus, I still think Dexter is INTJ. He may be becoming more INFJ, but the majority of his decisions, including the decisions about whom he is going to kill, are made using T, not F. The times when he's exercised F in decision-making (whacking Paul with skillet, headbutting Doakes, doing risky stuff with Lila, stabbing Hicks when he insulted Rita) have been exceptions, not norms for him. His natural sociopathic side - his Dark Passenger - may be more F, but he is able to control that part of him mostly.
    Agreed. I haven't read the books, so no comment on them, but in the series he's strongly INTJ.

Finally, been trying to type a couple of the minor season 3 characters.

I'm thinking Ellen Wolf as an ENTP - typical defence lawyer, flexible, can take a hard-arse approach when needed, doesn't particularly care whether her clients are innocent or not, just whether she can succeed in her defence of them. She also displays what could be seen as "masculine" type tendencies regarding her sexual relationships. But she has strong F characteristics, as shown by her willingness to help others, so she'd be borderline ENFP.\

Sylvia - ESFJ? I think she's pretty similar to Rita - which explains why they get on - but more extraverted (would need to be in her job).

Thoughts?
    Yeah ENTP is pretty solid for Ellen Wolf. Willingness to help others doesn't make her an F; I don't think she's very close to ENFP at all. I get a strong T vibe from her.

ESFJ or ISFJ is probably good for Sylvia. We don't get to see much of her, but that seems fair.

So to be clear, you said you saw obvious N in Masuka...what do you think he would be, a really maladjusted ENFP? I originally wrote ESTP for him but upon reconsidering, I think he might actually be ESFP. Where does the N come from, though?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Thanks Simulatedworld.

Actually, I think it was a mistake on my part to think you had typed Masuka as N. I must have been confused or something.

I think for a while I had Masuka as N simply because he's a scientist and seems to handle the theoretical well. I might have had him as INTP (what I am) because his weirdness and propensity for blurting out inappropriate things reminded me of myself LOL. But now I think he's too social to be an I. And he's not ENTP - he's not the visionary leader thing.

Yeah, I'm thinking S now for Masuka. ESFP or ESTP. Leaning towards the latter because of his lack of tact and sensitivity towards others.

And Ellen's willingness to help others refers to her setting up funds for defendents etc - the good stuff that Dexter found out about when he was pondering whether to kill her. That showed some Idealist tendencies, I think.
    Last edited by clairebbbear; 04-18-2009 at 10:43 PM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

And to add - based on the interviews I've seen with them, I'd describe Michael C Hall as a definite INFP. He certainly seems to have a P sensibility when talking about his character in relative terms, and the idea that, like Dexter, all of us are acting in some ways. Plus he's described himself as both messy and shy at various times.

Jennifer Carpenter I'll take a stab (heh!) on ENFJ, but I'm not really sure about the N or the J with her.

MBTI
    YaYa

Default Showtime-Dexter the serial killer

Anyone watch this series on showtime?

The main character is INTJ. I don't relate 100%, but there is enough commonality that I enjoy.

Written really intelligently with much hidden symbolism.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Anyone watch this series on showtime?

The main character is INTJ. I don't relate 100%, but there is enough commonality that I enjoy.

Written really intelligently with much hidden symbolism.
    I like it. I don't care what Dexter's type is, other than diabolical.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I had always pegged him as an ISTJ. He's just so damned meticulous.

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    I had always pegged him as an ISTJ. He's just so damned meticulous.
    I thought the meticulousness was a learned behavior that his dad artificially instilled in him.

He is always inside his head thinking.

This season premier episode, he didn't notice his sister changed her hair style for the first time in 20 years or so.