• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dexter

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
anyway, i'm absolutely convinced of ISTJ.
i don't even see how there's a question.

Yeah you make some good points, can you discuss a little more the process by which Si makes intuitive insights regarding its surroundings?

I don't understand the inner workings of Si very well, and I was very new at this when I declared Dexter to be INTJ.

For instance, I was at a club the other night with an ISFJ friend and he saw some really southern rocky-sounding band name written on the wall and observed that "They're probably southern rock."

I couldn't decide if this was Si or Ni, because I'm not sure I understand the relationship between the two...I think Si may be the most poorly understood of the eight functions, in general.

How do Si and Ni differ and how do you tell the difference when it comes to realizing things that were not derived specifically from past concrete experience (like Dexter knowing where to go to save Deb from Rudy)?

redacted

Intuitive insights are N.

Any SJ uses N. So if you see someone using N, that doesn't mean they're XNXX, it just means they are a person.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Saw an episode last night.

Dexter is definitely an ITJ, though I am inclined to think he is an ISTJ.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've only seen half of season 1 so far (waiting for my husband to watch the next episode with me!).

Dexter reminds me of a cross between Sylar from Heroes, a very creepy ISTJ in my graduate school, my INFP brother, and an ISTJ ex. Make of that what you will. Haha.

Rita is definitely ISFJ.

Deb seems ENFx.

Maria seems ExTJ.

Last edited:

Kanamori

I'd say Dexter is just a pyschopathic INTP who's been trained to cover his footsteps. It's not as if an INTP doesn't plan either; he only plans his murders (usually plans them), frankly a serial killer who didn't plan their murders beforehand would probably be really damn dumb and would get caught quickly. I see Ti as being the function that defines him and definitely not Si or Ni. Everything is sorted through his Ti principles.

Deb - ENFP
Doakes - ESTP
Brian - ENTP

redacted

I think Deb is ESFP.
Dexter's chick seems to be ESFJ.
Dexter is clearly ISTJ.
Miguel Prado is ESTP i think.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm going to vote INFJ on this one. He is just a really messed up one. He is more caring and sweet to Rita than I think an INTJ would be, in my opinion.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm going to vote INFJ on this one. He is just a really messed up one. He is more caring and sweet to Rita than I think an INTJ would be, in my opinion.

I think you and I are alone on this one. :D

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I want to vote INFJ too. Maybe just because of the actor.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Fun fact: Deb and Dexter are married in real life.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
My notes say INFJ. How anyone could see him as ST is beyond me.

I'm absolutely certain he's an N. He's always (darkly) daydreaming, caught up in his own little web of thoughts. Most of the cops are bound to Sensors, so see how they notice completely different things about cases than Dexter does. Sensoring - being present and grounded is what 'drains' his battery. Anytime he hasn't gotten time to himself and his projects, he loses his attention to details and slips up. He quite literraly becomes clumsier, which also points toward N.

Introvert - he prefers to work alone, recharges his batteries with solo projects. Drains his batteries when putting on his "mask" and attempting to connect with people.

Judger - a neat freak, very punctual, very precise, believes in control.

Feeler - were Dexter a Thinker, he wouldn't even consider himself a monster. All he talks about is how he has no feelings and how he isn't human, and it's getting ever clearer that he's just telling himself these things, and he's in denial. He would like to be a Thinker, because then he might not have feelings distract him. The truth is, he is a romantic. If that daydream about him being some rogueish, cloaked vigilante didn't just scream Idealist, I don't know what does. He wants to be an NT, because being an NF seems to be his achilles' heel. It could also be his greatest strength (depending on how well the rest of the show is written).

For the sake of contrast his brother Brian is the clear Thinker, and he doesn't have -any- of Dexter's emotional complications.

So I'm convinced Dexter is INFJ aka "the protector".

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Update: I just finished Season 2.

Dexter Morgan - INFJ
Detective Debra Morgan - EsFP
Rita Bennett - ISFJ
Harry Morgan - ENFJ
Lt. Maria LaGuerta - EstJ
Angel Batista - ESFP
Sgt. James Doakes - ENTJ
Vince Masuka - EXTP
Lila - ESTP

Last edited:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Um btw guys,

S types have an N function, and T types have an F function.

Everyone spouting "boo hoo Dexter has feelings so he can't be a T!!!" is being ridiculous.

Dexter has a weak and rather unconscious (because it is repressed by his trauma) tertiary Fi. Not Fe.

And whoever is calling him a P...just doesn't know a damn thing about typology. Good lord. :doh:

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Everyone spouting "boo hoo Dexter has feelings so he can't be a T!!!" is being ridiculous.

Dexter has a weak and rather unconscious (because it is repressed by his trauma) tertiary Fi. Not Fe.

My vote for INFJ stands. His brother on the other hand is an INTJ.

Last edited:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes I think Deb is a pretty clear ENFJ.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes I think Deb is a pretty clear ENFJ.

To me she seems more ENFP than ENFJ, as she is quite random (thus seeming more Ne dom than Fe dom), but ENFx for sure.

BTW, I'm all caught up now... and the season 4 finale was crazy!!!