User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Thread: Dexter

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Eh, I just read the book, so perhaps this isn't the right place, but from the book he's a definite INFJ.

Yes, one would be too quick to give him INTJ, because he seems to be logical. He goes on and on about himself being cold... but he's an unreliable narrator. It's too obvious in the book (more obvious than in the show?) that he's trying to convince himself of that. He's just trying to convince himself of that because he's afraid it might not be true...

The only types I've know to use 'logic' as such, more for comfort than as directly a tool, would be Fs, particularly INFJs. In fact, I've seen this a lot with INFJs... he's not developing into an INFJ, he always was one, just one who was trying to bury himself in 'T' -- this the appearance of being the caricature of an INTJ.
    Yes. A thousand times, yes. I'm now fully convinced of his INFJitude.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Same here.

La Guerta's clothes and jewelry hurt my eyes. If it weren't for her personality, I'd say she was an S. That crap is flashy as hell.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Talking awww

Wow, I'm shocked. Someone actually DID care enough to read this.

Thank you for making my morning.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    We're both right. The series is about Dexter's evolution from an INTJ (killing because he needs to) into an INFJ (killing because it helps society.) His focus gradually becomes less self-centered.

Although, I must point out that he is really not a natural F. Note how he expects such constant, inexhaustible rationality from everyone and everything. This is most evident in his hilarious inner monologues during scenes with super-ISFJ Rita--we hear "this social ritual is utterly illogical!" just about every single time. (But it's still funny!)

His natural F function is total shit, but he learns to develop it as the series goes on.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by narticus View Post
    Unless someone makes a case for the childhood trauma forcing Dexter into some sort of stressed/inferior function personality, I think INT is just about a given. I'm not completely caught up (still in season 1), but I have seen him beat himself up over process (Te), which he rigidly adheres to, but not over theory (Ti). He seems to have a more developed personal value system (Fi) than a desire to adhere to a societal norm (Fe)*, and Fi as a tertiary trait would fit this well (as he matures, he becomes comfortable with his personal value system of accepting killing as fine, so long as the victims meet a minimum standard of badness). I'm therefore going with INTJ, but you wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard to convert me to INTP.

* Yes, I know there are vague, stereotypical views of these functions, but come on, we're talking about a lovable television serial killer; cut me some slack.
    He's definitely not P. He is waaaaay too methodical and calculated for that. ("I'm a very neat monster!") He's not naturally particularly flexible in his beliefs, either--it takes a good bit of prodding to convince him that the Code of Harry isn't perfect, but once he realizes it he brilliantly reinvents the system in his own way (very NT.)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkadonna View Post
    Intp. but deedee and mandark?
    ESFP and ENTJ, respectively.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Badger View Post
    Where do you all see any sign of N about him?
    Whooooa, no offense but please read a book on MBTI. Dexter is outrageously N, if for no other reason than because he is so very very J. If he's J but not NJ, that forces him to be an SJ, and he's absolutely not a traditionalist in any sense of the word. (His adherence to Harry's code is a function of his J nature, not S. He has an obvious penchant for creatively testing the limits of any and all systems in his life, which is very very NT...he usually has a purpose beyond simple amusement for doing it, however, which is what separates him from INTPs.)

Reasons Dexter is extremely N:
    Always future-oriented. Constantly wandering off into his own head, speculating on abstract relationships and possible connections between ideas. Very, very good at intuiting the probable results of his actions and predicting the actions of others. SJs follow the rules on principle; NTs follow the rules when it's convenient, but almost always end up breaking them sooner or later. Dexter weaves skillfully in and out of the system, abusing its rules to his advantage and ignoring them when he finds them insufficient. All of this is profoundly NT.

An xNxJ is far more likely to consider himself "above" the traditional societal systems of morality ("I can simply intuit my own moral code!") than an xSxJ, who is most often defined by these very societal customs that the INTJ has such a difficult time comprehending.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I'm actually reading C.G. Jung's book "Psychological Types" right now. And lots of what simulatedworld says makes perfect sense according to what I have gathered from the grand master himself.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

And to whoever said ISTP, that's way, way off. Go read up on your functions =P

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    We're both right. The series is about Dexter's evolution from an INTJ (killing because he needs to) into an INFJ (killing because it helps society.) His focus gradually becomes less self-centered.

Although, I must point out that he is really not a natural F. Note how he expects such constant, inexhaustible rationality from everyone and everything. This is most evident in his hilarious inner monologues during scenes with super-ISFJ Rita--we hear "this social ritual is utterly illogical!" just about every single time. (But it's still funny!)

His natural F function is total shit, but he learns to develop it as the series goes on.
    In the series, it kind of discredits Dexter to say he had to be an F, in order to have any feelings at all. Even INTJs, are capable of that at times. Having emotions on rare occasion wouldn't make him an INFJ. Merely, an INTJ that began development of his feeling function. Which does happen for NTs later in life.

Yet, in the books Dexter does come off like a stunted INFJ, as Haphazard suggested.