User Tag List

123 Last

ByMySword

Cool American Psycho Type?

I'm a huge fan of American Psycho, both the book and the movie.

I was recently wondering what type Patrick Bateman must be. After going over everything I know about him, the best I could come up with was that he was an INFJ.

I came to this final conclusion while talking to Meta about how he can identify with Hannibal whereas I can identify with Bateman.

I'll wait till others post their ideas before going into other reasons why I came to this conclusion.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Moved from MBTI.

MBTI
    ENTP

whoa. isn't he clearly ENTJ? tertiary Se which explains why he goes into such detail about his face washing routine and phil collins albums. dominant Te cause he just wants to use people and exploit them and rape and murder them. Ni cause he's pretty out of touch with reality and doesn't care about social norms in the ways an Si type would.

he could be INTJ, but that would mean tertiary Fi, which he clearly has none of. hes just your typical anti-social personality disorder bro. like cartman. ENTJ.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Definitely an I, definitely an N, definitely a J, and perhaps an F that "descended" to the dark side.

I think the author, Bret Easton Ellis, is a "fallen F" as well, so yeah, BMS, I'd agree with you, he's probably an INFJ, granted, A VERY PSYCHOTIC ONE!!!

And what is this nonsense about you identifying with him?

C'mon, you're a harmless puppy.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ESFJ

I've had someone tell me that he thought I was going to ax him in the face after I went into a long rant about Genesis. Apparently, I share quite a number of superficial elements with Patrick Bateman. He only feels "greed and disgust," though. I am way too emotional to be as robotic as he is. I've been called a sociopath before, too. What types escape into extremely lucid, vivid dreams?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What types escape into extremely lucid, vivid dreams?
    Ni dominants.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

An exceedingly distressed INxJ.

Although, to be fair, his psychosis distorts parallel calculation to others within this same range - he's an anomaly.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

i'd think INTJ. Ni/Te/Fi...

i was almost gonna say ISTJ.

ByMySword

Cool

Ok, I'd agree with Ni, definately. But I can't agree with the INTJ and here's why:

While he does exploit and use people, he is constantly driven by his emotions. His killings are random and uncontrolled. Not very INTJ like IMO.

Like I said, I'm also taking things from the book as well. He is most definetaly and I because he's constantly talking about how he's not really there when he's around people. He's completely inside and somewhere else. So that to me represents Ni as well.

Other than that, I would have said an E, but he seems so into himself. As I said earlier, if I wanted an example of an INTJ, I would say Hannibal. And don't forget, INFJs can mimic thinking types, so you can't always know. Hannibal would be listed as a sociopath who kills because he enjoys killing. Pat Bateman is a psychopath. Also, Bateman is conflicted within himself. He enjoys killing but at the same time tries to turn himself in. Another INFJ trait IMO.

But comparing and contrasting the two, I would still list Pat Bateman as an INFJ. But one that is very distressed and has a dark nature. I mean, come on, he is the American Psycho. lol

And if you still don't see him as an F......check out the romantic side of Patrick Bateman.

YouTube - American Psycho Redux

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Its been a while since I read the book,*shudders*, (perhaps the bleakest existential one I've read, like Camus' The Stranger, but on crack.) I recall that Bateman was responding to what has become his/an increasingly mindless, emotionless, cold, everything-is-utterly-meaningless world. He kills because he doesn't care, he kills because it sooooooooooooooo doesn't matter.

In the book I don't recall him feeling any remorse, but there was this one scene, (my favorite), where he's out in the Hampton's with his girlfriend, or fiancee, and in the middle of the night, he runs out to the beach, looks up at the stars and the moon, and stuffs a handful of sand in his mouth. Something about this was moving to me. As if he felt nonexistent and scared by that fact.

He might be an INTJ who is searching to feel something, anything, but like I originally mentioned I also think he might be a "fallen" INFJ.

If anyone is interested, I would highly recommend reading Bret Easton Ellis' first novel, "Less Than Zero". It is like an 80's version of "The Catcher in the Rye". Sooooooooo Moving!!! And it is also why I think the author used to be, or is an INFJ.
    Last edited by SillySapienne; 03-22-2008 at 02:57 AM.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles