• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Psycho Type?

B

ByMySword

I'm a huge fan of American Psycho, both the book and the movie.

I was recently wondering what type Patrick Bateman must be. After going over everything I know about him, the best I could come up with was that he was an INFJ.

I came to this final conclusion while talking to Meta about how he can identify with Hannibal whereas I can identify with Bateman.

I'll wait till others post their ideas before going into other reasons why I came to this conclusion.

americanpsycho460.jpg

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Moved from MBTI.

augmented

MBTI Type
ENTP
whoa. isn't he clearly ENTJ? tertiary Se which explains why he goes into such detail about his face washing routine and phil collins albums. dominant Te cause he just wants to use people and exploit them and rape and murder them. Ni cause he's pretty out of touch with reality and doesn't care about social norms in the ways an Si type would.

he could be INTJ, but that would mean tertiary Fi, which he clearly has none of. hes just your typical anti-social personality disorder bro. like cartman. ENTJ.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Definitely an I, definitely an N, definitely a J, and perhaps an F that "descended" to the dark side.

I think the author, Bret Easton Ellis, is a "fallen F" as well, so yeah, BMS, I'd agree with you, he's probably an INFJ, granted, A VERY PSYCHOTIC ONE!!!

And what is this nonsense about you identifying with him?

C'mon, you're a harmless puppy.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I've had someone tell me that he thought I was going to ax him in the face after I went into a long rant about Genesis. Apparently, I share quite a number of superficial elements with Patrick Bateman. He only feels "greed and disgust," though. I am way too emotional to be as robotic as he is. I've been called a sociopath before, too. What types escape into extremely lucid, vivid dreams?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
An exceedingly distressed INxJ.

Although, to be fair, his psychosis distorts parallel calculation to others within this same range - he's an anomaly.

B

ByMySword

Ok, I'd agree with Ni, definately. But I can't agree with the INTJ and here's why:

While he does exploit and use people, he is constantly driven by his emotions. His killings are random and uncontrolled. Not very INTJ like IMO.

Like I said, I'm also taking things from the book as well. He is most definetaly and I because he's constantly talking about how he's not really there when he's around people. He's completely inside and somewhere else. So that to me represents Ni as well.

Other than that, I would have said an E, but he seems so into himself. As I said earlier, if I wanted an example of an INTJ, I would say Hannibal. And don't forget, INFJs can mimic thinking types, so you can't always know. Hannibal would be listed as a sociopath who kills because he enjoys killing. Pat Bateman is a psychopath. Also, Bateman is conflicted within himself. He enjoys killing but at the same time tries to turn himself in. Another INFJ trait IMO.

But comparing and contrasting the two, I would still list Pat Bateman as an INFJ. But one that is very distressed and has a dark nature. I mean, come on, he is the American Psycho. lol

And if you still don't see him as an F......check out the romantic side of Patrick Bateman.

YouTube - American Psycho Redux

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Its been a while since I read the book,*shudders*, (perhaps the bleakest existential one I've read, like Camus' The Stranger, but on crack.) I recall that Bateman was responding to what has become his/an increasingly mindless, emotionless, cold, everything-is-utterly-meaningless world. He kills because he doesn't care, he kills because it sooooooooooooooo doesn't matter.

In the book I don't recall him feeling any remorse, but there was this one scene, (my favorite), where he's out in the Hampton's with his girlfriend, or fiancee, and in the middle of the night, he runs out to the beach, looks up at the stars and the moon, and stuffs a handful of sand in his mouth. Something about this was moving to me. As if he felt nonexistent and scared by that fact.

He might be an INTJ who is searching to feel something, anything, but like I originally mentioned I also think he might be a "fallen" INFJ.

If anyone is interested, I would highly recommend reading Bret Easton Ellis' first novel, "Less Than Zero". It is like an 80's version of "The Catcher in the Rye". Sooooooooo Moving!!! And it is also why I think the author used to be, or is an INFJ.

Last edited:
B

ByMySword

If anyone is interested, I would highly recommend reading Bret Easton Ellis' first novel, "Less Than Zero". It is like an 80's version of "The Catcher in the Rye". Sooooooooo Moving!!! And it is also why I think the author used to be, or is an INFJ.

I can see an INTJ, but looking at the fact that INFJs can be mistaken for INTJs, I stick with my hypothesis. Of course it is hard to type someone so psychotic.

"Less Than Zero" is good but depressing. I like "The Rules of Attraction" as well.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
True, it made me cry. (for reals)

The Rules of Attraction is a magnificent book, hilarious too!

redacted

While he does exploit and use people, he is constantly driven by his emotions. His killings are random and uncontrolled. Not very INTJ like IMO.

he's not an F at all. everyone has feelings. he's completely distraught. i think the uncontrolled nature of his killings come from auxiliary Fi.

haven't you never seen a T lose control? it's even scarier because they're less conscious of their feelings.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
The one where he is staring at himself in the mirror while he's, edit: having sex with that girl?

Where he is basically getting off on watching himself get off?