User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Clearly IxTJ. I'm thinking InTJ because I get more Ni than Si from him.

Check it out - dominant Ni goes into lucid fantasies of him going on murder sprees that he does not even know if he committed or not. Then again, of course you have scenes where he delves into textures (business cards) his various lotions (morning scene) he can remember all his appointments without writing them down (office scene) - this does point to Si, buttttt...I'm going to say that an ISTJ is probably not going to be unable to distinguish between reality and fantasy like that (okay, yes, he is psycho, but come on). An Si would be more likely to trace back and think how/why those may (not) have occurred, but he's in a daze so that we do not even know if he did them or not. And okay, he obsessively knows all about his favorite bands, but that might be a Te thing too???

Auxiliary Te to boot - that regimen in the morning? His plans on how to carry out his murders that may or may not have happened? The drive to succeed and be better (card scene, where he nearly freaks out because his business card is not cool enough). Okay, you could argue Fe with his ability to charm the hell out of the ladies and be polite when controlled, and he 'just wants to fit in.' But nah, Te is much stronger.

Tertiary Fi - he hates his surroundings, the senselessness, the debauchery, faces without names, no one with a backbone. He kills 'on the spur of the moment,' but does he really? Then why does he spare the secretary? It reminds me of Silence of the Lambs, where Hannibal does not kill Starling...sort of...though it does have a slightly different dynamic.

Inferior Se - enough to take advantage and kill spontaneously. Enough to react to situations with ease. To deal with things as they come. However, it's a shadow function - you only see it in him under stress (interrogation, killings). Otherwise he's very detailed, very deliberate, very planned.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Did not typed character, actor's type is ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I still think ISTJ after watching again (and my previous post was a year and a half old).

I also agree with simworld's NPD claim.

EDIT: I was referring to the movie; I have no idea what I'd think if I read the book.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Just have to comment...one of my favorite movies of all time.

Are you typing him before or after his breakdown? As he is a psychopath and is fitting in with the rest of the world. So his type isn't really known.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

* Reacts to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation
    * Takes advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals
    * Has feelings of self-importance
    * Exaggerates achievements and talents
    * Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love
    * Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
    * Requires constant attention and admiration
    * Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy
    * Has obsessive self-interest
    * Pursues mainly selfish goals

How is he anything but an ESTP

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Ok, I'd agree with Ni, definately. But I can't agree with the INTJ and here's why:

While he does exploit and use people, he is constantly driven by his emotions. His killings are random and uncontrolled. Not very INTJ like IMO.

Like I said, I'm also taking things from the book as well. He is most definetaly and I because he's constantly talking about how he's not really there when he's around people. He's completely inside and somewhere else. So that to me represents Ni as well.

Other than that, I would have said an E, but he seems so into himself. As I said earlier, if I wanted an example of an INTJ, I would say Hannibal. And don't forget, INFJs can mimic thinking types, so you can't always know. Hannibal would be listed as a sociopath who kills because he enjoys killing. Pat Bateman is a psychopath. Also, Bateman is conflicted within himself. He enjoys killing but at the same time tries to turn himself in. Another INFJ trait IMO.

But comparing and contrasting the two, I would still list Pat Bateman as an INFJ. But one that is very distressed and has a dark nature. I mean, come on, he is the American Psycho. lol

And if you still don't see him as an F......check out the romantic side of Patrick Bateman.

YouTube - American Psycho Redux
    I long speculated that Patrick Bateman was an evil INFJ. He lost his ability to feel empathy for people because the positive F in him is dead, all he has left is anger and disgust. His rage isnt NT rage, its hurt NF rage.

His constant self introspection, the stuff he says about not being there, I HAVE FELT THAT I think all Ni doms have at some point. We arent there, we are controlling our body through a video console, there is a level of detachment. Of course I am still connected to my feelings the positive ones I mean. The 1 or 2 times I have ever lost control and became violent, my outbreaks were a lot like Batemans, luckily I only smashed furniture and not people.

I also sense Ti in Bateman, he does exactly to his social groups what I do to mine, he is an entity, I feel the same way, this is all Ni and Ti. He tries to figure out how to work and use his social life like a system, he is only trying to win it because he is stuck in it and he is arrogant.
    Ground control to Major Tom

Epiphany

Perfect casting!

[YOUTUBE="Uxj0cFz-3cw"]Christian Bale Rant[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII

INTJ. Let's study this from a functional perspective, shall we? He's obviously a very emotional character, there's no question about this. However, does his emotionality fit the Fe mold? The answer would be a resounding "no." He is clearly not in tune with the feelings of others - this is the basis behind his entire need to wear a social "mask." He is, however, very in tune with his own feelings. Rather than displaying Fe, he displays very strong Fi and Te. This conclusively rules INFJ out as an option. Moreover, he does display Ni and Se, with very little Ne or Si. This leaves the only available options to be INTJ, ENTJ, ISFP, and ESFP. Based on his general demeanor and Ni-driven internal monologues, dislike of social contact, as well as the fact that he's far too Fi for it to be his inferior and only relies on Se under stress, I would say he's rather clearly INTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Saxon View Post
    INTJ. Let's study this from a functional perspective, shall we? He's obviously a very emotional character, there's no question about this. However, does his emotionality fit the Fe mold? The answer would be a resounding "no." He is clearly not in tune with the feelings of others - this is the basis behind his entire need to wear a social "mask." He is, however, very in tune with his own feelings. Rather than displaying Fe, he displays very strong Fi and Te. This conclusively rules INFJ out as an option. Moreover, he does display Ni and Se, with very little Ne or Si. This leaves the only available options to be INTJ, ENTJ, ISFP, and ESFP. Based on his general demeanor and Ni-driven internal monologues, dislike of social contact, as well as the fact that he's far too Fi for it to be his inferior and only relies on Se under stress, I would say he's rather clearly INTJ.
    He is not INTJ, notice how he needs to be around people before he escapes to be alone, that's some form of destroyed Fe.

He is definitely Ni driven, but he is not an INTJ, as you said, he is highly emotional, even if the emotions are mostly anger and anxiety.

I didnt notice much Te, but that his energies are wrapped up in dealing with other people,

I see Ni, weak or distorted Fe and Ti and Se.

Hes an INFJ.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    He is not INTJ, notice how he needs to be around people before he escapes to be alone, that's some form of destroyed Fe.

He is definitely Ni driven, but he is not an INTJ, as you said, he is highly emotional, even if the emotions are mostly anger and anxiety.

I didnt notice much Te, but that his energies are wrapped up in dealing with other people,

I see Ni, weak or distorted Fe and Ti and Se.

Hes an INFJ.
    Wrong. Emotionality does not necessarily equate with being an F type at all - INTJs do have a tertiary feeling function, you know. They are not robots. If one fits the INTJ functions and functional order, he or she is by definition an INTJ, no matter how strong the particular INTJ's Fi is.

Patrick Bateman's feeling takes the form of Fi, understanding of his own emotions, rather than Fe, understanding of the emotions of others. He also displays large degrees of Te in his rigid, organized, segmented schedule. By contrast, he does not display any Fe or Ti - he does not show connectiveness with the emotions of others (Fe), nor does he show fine-tuning, distinction, or deduction (Ti).

Also, do show how he supposedly "needs to be around people before he escapes to be alone." His only pleasure from any sort of interaction seems to be sadistic delight in murdering people. If he were indeed energized by social interaction (which I see no sign of myself), do note additionally that this would not make him an Fe type by necessity - rather, by definition, it would make him an extrovert. Being energized by social interaction is the very definition of extroversion, but is no part of the definition of Fe.