• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Downton Abbey

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Lady Violet Crawley - ESTJ
Lord Robert Crawley - xxFx (?)
Lady Cora - ESFJ
Mary - ExTJ
Edith - ISFJ
Sybil - ENFP

Isobel Crawley - ENTP
Matthew Crawley - IxTP

Carson - ISTJ
Mrs. Hughes - ISTJ (Mrs. Huges and Carson are like male/female book ends)
Mrs. Patmore - ESxP
Bates - ISFJ
O'Brien - ENTP (?)
Thomas - INTJ (but of the worst kind, I swear to fucking god I wanted to stab him)
William - ISFP
Anna - INFP
Gwen - ENFJ
Daisy - ENFP
Tom Branson - INTP

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
I agree with a lot of these. I think Robert is a ISTJ. I think age has balanced his F/T. I see Matthew as an intuitive. He seems to go like this O___O around the sensor characters and bonds with intuitives like Sybil. Something feels off with Daisy's type, but for the life of me I can figure it out. Bates is either istj or isfj.

I'd so love Anna to be a infp, I related to her & Sybil so much! Though I wonder if she's ixfj.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Bates is ISFJ which is why he so gentle and ridiculously self-sacrificing. I think an ISTJ would be more direct and forth-coming, instead of taking so much shit from other people.

Daisy is definitely ExFP, though granted a less educated one with lower self-esteem. Everything about Daisy screams ExFP to me, and I'm inclined to go ENFP because of her persistent imagination and bringing up of the people who died on the Titanic, how she's haunted by Mary's room, and the other characters are just like "what are you talking about? you sound like a Penny Dreadful."

I think it might also explain her self-destructive fascination with a very unethical and cruel INTJ male.

I think ISxJ is really a good guess for Robert, because of the way he runs his family, and the fact that he says in one of the first couple of episodes that he doesn't really like change. He seems slightly more ISFJ than ISTJ to me - awfully easy going and forgiving when he's in a good mood, not as tediously bound by rules and structure as his ESTJ mother (Violet) or even his butler, Carson.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love love Mr. Bates. Who's the pretty blond girl he's in love with? I heart them together. They're so cute. ISFJ-xNFP.

Thomas is totally INTJ. Couldn't agree more. Jaye thinks he's hot but wants to murder him at the same time.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I love Mr. Bates, too. <3

Can't freaking stand O'Brien. She's like those people who are so insecure that they're dangerous.

Can't wait for the second season--and it's going to be such a long wait!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I think his blonde love Anna is INFP...I don't see IxFJ for her...she's so forthright like "I love you Mr. Bates, I know that's not lady like, but I'm not a lady." She also has a real bullshit detector and seems focused on authenticity like an INFP would be.

I just want to kill Thomas. His pure unadulterated evil overrides any hotness he might of had. I actually started laughing and wanted to cheer when William starts punching him.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, it does seem like an ISFJ - xNFP relationship. :) I could smear them on a cracker.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This just started playing here :wubbie:

Such an interesting collection of characters! I felt inclined to list them by social hierarchy but couldn't work out if Matthew would be higher, as heir, than the Dowager Countess; I assumed lower, as he is untitled.

Lord Crawley - ISFJ
Lady Crawley - ESFJ
The Dowager Countess - ESTJ
Matthew Crawley - INTP
Lady Mary - ENTP
Lady Edith - ISTJ
Lady Sybil - EXFP
Mrs Crawley - ESTP

Carson - ISTJ
Mrs. Hughes - ISTJ
Mrs. Patmore - ESTJ
Bates - IXFJ
O'Brien - ENTJ
Thomas - INTJ
Anna - ISFP
William - ISTP
Gwen - ESFJ
Daisy - ESFP

Jonathan

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lord Crawley - ISTJ
Lady Crawley - ESFJ
Matthew Crawley - INFP
Lady Mary - ISTJ
Lady Edith - ISFJ
Lady Sybil - ENFP
Mrs Crawley - ENFJ
Lavinia - INFJ
Sir Richard Carlisle - ENTJ
Lady Rosamund - ESTP

Carson - ISTJ
Mrs. Hughes - ISTJ or ISFJ
Mrs. Patmore - ESTJ
Bates - ISFJ
O'Brien - ENTP
Thomas - ENTJ
Anna - INFJ
William - ISFP
Gwen - ENFP
Daisy - ISFP
Branson - ENTP

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
This just started playing here :wubbie:

Such an interesting collection of characters! I felt inclined to list them by social hierarchy but couldn't work out if Matthew would be higher, as heir, than the Dowager Countess; I assumed lower, as he is untitled.

Lord Crawley - ISFJ
Lady Crawley - ESFJ
Matthew Crawley - INTP
Lady Mary - ENTP
Lady Edith - ISTJ
Lady Sybil - EXFP
Mrs Crawley - ESTP

Carson - ISTJ
Mrs. Hughes - ISTJ
Mrs. Patmore - ESTJ
Bates - IXFJ
O'Brien - ENTJ
Thomas - INTJ
Anna - ISFP
William - ISTP
Gwen - ESFJ
Daisy - ESFP
I agree with all of these. Second season begins here Sunday.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has anyone else been watching this amazing show?

Mrs. Patmore - ESFJ

She's always grumpy. Reminds me so much of my mother. #homesick

Starry

Mrs. Patmore - ESFJ

I agree 100% with this typing. But I also believe the Dowager Countess to be ESFJ as well and it appears that most people are typing both Patmore & the DC as ESTJ. Likewise...everyone seems to be typing Lady Crawley as ESFJ...and that is not the type I would give her. I can't really say what she is at this point...but I just don't get that vibe from her. But I too have a 'fussy ESFJ Mom'...so maybe I'm bias as to what ESFJs are supposed to be like...haha.

A

Anew Leaf

Mrs. Patmore - ESFJ

I just got into the show this weekend... watched all over series 1 last night.

:wub:

My general ideas of types based on the first series:

Lord Robert: IxTJ (Kind of leaning towards INTJ at times and ISTJ at other times.)
Lady Cora: ESTJ
Dowager Countess: ESFJ

Mary: ENTJ
Edith: ISFJ
Sybil: ENFP

Isobel: ENTP
Matthew: INTP

Bates: ISFJ
Carsen: ISTJ
Hughes: ISTJ
Patmore: ESFJ
Daisy: EXFP
Anna: IxFx (I can't decide on her totally)
Thomas: xNTJ
O'Brien: ESFP

Breaking into Series 2 tonight :D

D

Dali

I love this show. The Dowager Countess is prolly one of the wittiest characters I've yet encountered and is played by such a magnificent actress; no one can deliver a line like Maggie Smith.

Lord Crawley - ISTJ (the Te tempered by age and maturity)
Lady Crawley - ESFJ
The Dowager Countess - ESTJ (and taps into her Ne so delightfully, when throwing out her one-liners)
Matthew Crawley - INTP
Lady Mary - INTP
Lady Edith - ISTJ
Lady Sybil - ENFP
Mrs Crawley - ESTP

Carson - ISTJ
Mrs. Hughes - ISTJ
Mrs. Patmore - ESTJ
Bates - InFJ
O'Brien - ESTP/ENTJ ?
Thomas - INTJ
Anna - ENFP
William - ISFP
Daisy - ESFP

A

Anew Leaf

Surely you're joking, Mrs. Saturned. Robert is not an INTJ, but much rather an ISFJ.

ENFJ?

I think ENTJ suits her well.

:) no I am not. I felt that he is extremely balanced in his Te/Fi. A lot of his decisions based on emotions come down to his personal belief system. Example, Bates' employment. I struggle with the s/n divide at times because I see differing evidence to support either. The conversation with Matthew about why he loves downtown abbey so much seemed very Ni to me, as well as how and why he is so loyal to this estate.

I was hesitating between ENTP and ENFJ for Isobel. I could go either way. She seems caring but at the same time is very matter of fact and not interested in wallowing in emotions. Whatever she is, I liked her loads. :)

O'brien: yes I was sort of wavering between the two since she seems very Se/Te. I have just started season 2 (watched first two episodes of season 2 last night after posting here, and got a much better read on her than my initial one.)

:)

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It surprises me that people are seeing O’Brien as anything other than Je dom, or at least aux. Pe dom or aux types generally don’t have as much trouble letting things go, and it’s like the woman lives and breathes to ‘keep score’ of things. And I think it’s Ni sensitivity/paranoia/tunnel vision that makes her so sensitive/keen to the different kinds of respect going on around her (she’s sensitive to how arbitrary it is, that it’s a matter of being born into a certain class rather than based on the actual person…..and when she feels disrespected, it’s like it explodes into a whole bigger thing about that unfairness)- and makes her so bitter and vindictive. I don’t think Pe types (dom/aux) get SO nonplussed over the same kinds of things, or that the anger has as much staying power as it does with her- they can live more for the moment. I don't see her as living for the moment *at all*. It's all about the scales of justice in her head constantly being checked- based on her cumulative experience of a person- and manipulating the external environment to make sure people get what she believes should be coming to them.

I see ENFJness over ENTJness, and ENJness over INJness- but she seems so NJ to me that it’s kinda stifling.

A

Anew Leaf

It surprises me that people are seeing O’Brien as anything other than Je dom, or at least aux. Pe dom or aux types generally don’t have as much trouble letting things go, and it’s like the woman lives and breathes to ‘keep score’ of things. And I think it’s Ni sensitivity/paranoia/tunnel vision that makes her so sensitive/keen to the different kinds of respect going on around her (she’s sensitive to how arbitrary it is, that it’s a matter of being born into a certain class rather than based on the actual person…..and when she feels disrespected, it’s like it explodes into a whole bigger thing about that unfairness)- and makes her so bitter and vindictive. I don’t think Pe types (dom/aux) get SO nonplussed over the same kinds of things, or that the anger has as much staying power as it does with her- they can live more for the moment. I don't see her as living for the moment *at all*. It's all about the scales of justice in her head constantly being checked- based on her cumulative experience of a person- and manipulating the external environment to make sure people get what she believes should be coming to them.

I see ENFJness over ENTJness, and ENJness over INJness- but she seems so NJ to me that it’s kinda stifling.

Where I went wrong was second guessing my choices and thinking I was going too far with the N's and falling under that old tendency to view everyone the same as myself. I also kept thinking too much of "what are the odds there are two ENTJs in this house, etc."

What you say makes a ton of sense and I agree with your assessment. :)

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've just gotten into this show recently myself, and I'm almost done with the second season. Thomas and O'Brien are difficult for me to watch, because they keep making such crappy choices- the way they're written makes their underlying motivations understandable somewhat (in that Shakespearean 'no one is bad for no reason' kind of way), so I feel bad for them, but they're so cruel! They just seem to embody NJness gone wrong so well to me (and I say this acknowledging there might be a little bit of Pi tunnel vision on my own part in perceiving it that way :laugh: ). It's just that their focus is so singular at times- on leveling out past injustices they've felt, and the contrast of some 'ideal' that'll never come to fruition lingering like a bubble around their heads- instead of what's directly going on around them. *Je + Ni*.

Last edited:

Jonathan

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lady Mary - INTP

Lady Mary is so Se though. In one of the early episodes, she mocks Matthew because he prefers reading books over hunting and riding. And I don't think an INTP would be as good in playing the social game, like Lady Mary does. She strikes me as an ESTP with inferior Fe explaining why she is so concerned about what people thinks of her.