• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Downton Abbey

A

Anew Leaf

Lady Mary is so Se though. In one of the early episodes, she mocks Matthew because he prefers reading books over hunting and riding. And I don't think an INTP would be as good in playing the social game, like Lady Mary does. She strikes me as an ESTP with inferior Fe explaining why she is so concerned about what people thinks of her.

ESTPs don't have inferior Fe, that's an ISTP. :)

I considered her an ENTJ for many reasons, one of which was the way Se manifests itself as an escape/relief for her. She is extremely self-contained and in control of herself to the nth degree.

She's one of my favorites, I love watching her.

Starry

Lady Mary is so Se though. In one of the early episodes, she mocks Matthew because he prefers reading books over hunting and riding. And I don't think an INTP would be as good in playing the social game, like Lady Mary does. She strikes me as an ESTP with inferior Fe explaining why she is so concerned about what people thinks of her.

^^I agree with this.

Here are my best guesses

Lord Robert: ISFJ
Lady Cora: ESTP
Dowager Countess: ESFJ

Mary: ESTP
Edith: ISTJ
Sybil: ENFP

Isobel: ENTP
Matthew: ISTJ

Bates: IxFJ (I believe this character is supposed to be an INFJ. I can’t figure out if that is being translated all the time via the acting though)
Carsen: ISTJ
Hughes: ESTJ
Patmore: ESFJ
Daisy: ISFP
Anna: INFP

And for now I will leave the typing of Thomas & O'Brien to the 'professionals'...because I have no clue.

Nicodemus

Bates: IxFJ (I believe this character is supposed to be an INFJ. I can’t figure out if that is being translated all the time via the acting though)
Yes, Brendan Coyle is quite inept.

Starry

Gosh you can be pissy sometimes!!! That is not what I meant at all.

Starry

I believe all of the employees that are in close contact with the family...will automatically take on sorta an 'ISTJ persona'. So in other words...Brendan Coyle is playing his part to perfection.

Nicodemus

What I meant is that he actually seems to be a bad actor. He has about two facial expressions and one speaking tone.

A

Anew Leaf

What I meant is that he actually seems to be a bad actor. He has about two facial expressions and one speaking tone.

I definitely agree here. I found that I just couldn't care about him and Anna's epicly failing romance because he was so boring to watch.

Starry

I'm trying to type but I'm still laughing over 'two facial expressions...'

Yes...that is very true...haha. When I was watching I was trying to look at it as an actor playing an INFJ trying to be the best damn ISTJ footman (or whatever he is) Downton Abbey has ever hired in spite of his messed-up leg and freaky wife...but I can actually see what you are saying as well.

D

Dali

I struggled with N/S for Mary and almost selected IxTP, I definitely don't see here as a Se-dom though (her mocking of Mathew could also be seen as a reflection of what was deemed more acceptable for aristocratic men at that time, and could be seen to point towards her Fe function. Also, look at ESTP Isobel for comparison.) and there's a certain ISTP irreverence that I feel Mary lacks (or rather, has to a lesser degree). I think she's even better at playing the social game because she's INTP; it's almost a game to her. You can sense her distance and her disconnect and she even questions elements of it at parts (to her SJ parents' consternation) but her inferior-Fe springs up all over and tells her she ought to play her part.

D

Dali

I definitely agree here. I found that I just couldn't care about him and Anna's epicly failing romance because he was so boring to watch.

I thought I was the only one. Everyone (official FB page, and such) seems to be raving about their romance. And I'm just not moved at all (although I did find it cute how she'd call him Mr Beeehts, in that accent. :) ). Bates is just... dry and needlessly self-sacrificing. After face-palm upon face-palm, I stopped caring what happened to him.

I feel bad for Anna though, because I really like her.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought I was the only one. Everyone (official FB page, and such) seems to be raving about their romance. And I'm just not moved at all (although I did find it cute how she'd call him Mr Beeehts, in that accent. :) ). Bates is just... dry and needlessly self-sacrificing. After face-palm upon face-palm, I stopped caring what happened to him.

I feel bad for Anna though, because I really like her.

Nah, not alone. I had the Curled Lip of Contempt for Mr. Bates. He seemed so damn passive. I was waiting for Anna to kick him but it didn't happen. :cry:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Lord Crawley - ISFJ
Lady Crawley - ESFJ
The Dowager Countess - ESTJ
Matthew Crawley - INFP [People keep saying ITP but I don't see it. I think he's a Fi dom.]
Lady Mary - xSTP
Lady Edith - ISTJ
Lady Sybil - ENFP
Mrs Crawley - ESFJ
Richard Carlisle-ENTJ [I sort of liked him despite being painted as a bit of a bully]
Lavinia-IxFJ

Carson - ISTJ
Mrs. Hughes - ISTJ
Mrs. Patmore - ESFJ
Mr. Beeehhhhts - ISFJ [I hate him]
O'Brien - ENTJ
Thomas - INTJ [I love both of them. Their dynamic is so good. Thomas pulls of smug pretension so well it's scary]
Anna - IxFP
William - ISTJ
Gwen - ESFJ
Daisy - ESFP
Ethel-ISFJ
Chauffer-ISFP
Mr. Molesly- ISTJ

I really enjoyed this show. Though I wished Mr. Beeehhhts actually got hanged, to rid us of his horribleness. O'Brien and Thomas are fantastic together, with their little strategy powwows.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
Lord Crawley - ISFJ
Lady Crawley - ESFJ
Matthew Crawley - INFP [People keep saying ITP but I don't see it. I think he's a Fi dom.]
Lady Mary - xSTP
Lady Edith - ISTJ
Lady Sybil - ENFP
Mrs Crawley - ESFJ
Richard Carlisle-ENTJ [I sort of liked him despite being painted as a bit of a bully]
Lavinia-IxFJ

Carson - ISTJ
Mrs. Hughes - ISTJ
Mrs. Patmore - ESFJ
O'Brien - ENTJ
Thomas - INTJ [I love both of them. Their dynamic is so good. Thomas pulls of smug pretension so well it's scary]
Anna - IxFP
William - ISTJ
Gwen - ESFJ
Daisy - ESFP
Ethel-ISFJ
Chauffer-ISFP
Mr. Molesly- ISTJ

I really enjoyed this show. Though I wished Mr. Beeehhhts actually got hanged, to rid us of his horribleness. O'Brien and Thomas are fantastic together, with their little strategy powwows.

the dowager countess is my absolute favourite in the show,
followed by mrs patmore.

sisters: i really liked edith by the second season. she's very
natural and very believable at being snooty. i find lady mary
the most annoying out of all the sisters. in the first season
i loved lady sybil, but then she was handed a boring sub plot.
with the chauffeur, really? so boring.

i do have to say i liked mrs. bates. she finally brought some juicy evil
and just let hell break loose. but omg mr bates is the worseeee! he's
even more annoying than eddard stark. though anna is still very
likeable throughout both seasons despite her awful taste in men.

my favourite dynamic is also between o'brien and thomas.

i think the second season subplots were kinda out of place,
like the earl and the new maid jane. like don't even know
why it was written in.

wistfulwillow

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lord Crawley - ISFJ
Lady Crawley - ESFJ
Lady Mary - xSTP
Lady Edith - ISTJ
Lady Sybil - ENFP
Mrs Crawley - ESFJ
Lavinia-IxFJ

Carson - ISTJ
Mrs. Hughes - ISTJ
Mrs. Patmore - ESFJ
O'Brien - ENTJ
Anna - IxFP
William - ISTJ
Gwen - ESFJ
Daisy - ESFP
Ethel-ISFJ
Chauffer-ISFP
Mr. Molesly- ISTJ

What an amazing show!
I agree with most of these, there's just a few things...
I was kinda feeling an INTJ from Mary. I don't see any SP, ENTJ is possible, but INTJ would be my best bet.
William, ISFJ. Strikes me as a feeler, the huge crush on Daisy, wanting to get married, please her, make her happy. And he was adamant about it, you know?
Why do you hate Bates? He's such a great character!

wistfulwillow

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lord Crawley - ISFJ
Lady Crawley - ESFJ
Lady Mary - xSTP
Lady Edith - ISTJ
Lady Sybil - ENFP
Mrs Crawley - ESFJ
Lavinia-IxFJ

Carson - ISTJ
Mrs. Hughes - ISTJ
Mrs. Patmore - ESFJ
O'Brien - ENTJ
Anna - IxFP
William - ISTJ
Gwen - ESFJ
Daisy - ESFP
Ethel-ISFJ
Chauffer-ISFP
Mr. Molesly- ISTJ

What an amazing show!
I agree with most of these, there's just a few things...
I was kinda feeling an INTJ from Mary. I don't see any SP, ENTJ is possible, but INTJ would be my best bet.
William, ISFJ. Strikes me as a feeler, the huge crush on Daisy, wanting to get married, please her, make her happy. And he was adamant about it, you know?
Why do you hate Bates? He's such a great character!

gromit

likes this
I just started watching this, late to the game.

I am curious why everyone is typing Lady Mary as T? I thought she seemed like an INFJ somehow. She is so proper, very restrained as well as aware of the social consequences of every action, playing out different scenarios, etc.

Nicodemus

She is so proper, very restrained as well as aware of the social consequences of every action, playing out different scenarios, etc.
If that indicates F, do you disagree about Carson as well?

gromit

likes this
If that indicates F, do you disagree about Carson as well?

I don't have as much a read on Carson. I guess I am curious what people see that indicates T versus F. I am certainly no expert on typing characters, so I was curious how others come to their conclusions.

Of course everyone's so amazingly proper in that show, it's like a whole different ballgame than normal life typing.

gromit

likes this
I grew to really like Lady Violet. Don't be so defeatist, dear. It's very middle class.