User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Downton Abbey

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Lady Mary is so Se though. In one of the early episodes, she mocks Matthew because he prefers reading books over hunting and riding. And I don't think an INTP would be as good in playing the social game, like Lady Mary does. She strikes me as an ESTP with inferior Fe explaining why she is so concerned about what people thinks of her.
    ESTPs don't have inferior Fe, that's an ISTP.

I considered her an ENTJ for many reasons, one of which was the way Se manifests itself as an escape/relief for her. She is extremely self-contained and in control of herself to the nth degree.

She's one of my favorites, I love watching her.

Lady Mary is so Se though. In one of the early episodes, she mocks Matthew because he prefers reading books over hunting and riding. And I don't think an INTP would be as good in playing the social game, like Lady Mary does. She strikes me as an ESTP with inferior Fe explaining why she is so concerned about what people thinks of her.
    ^^I agree with this.

Here are my best guesses

Lord Robert: ISFJ
    Lady Cora: ESTP
    Dowager Countess: ESFJ

Mary: ESTP
    Edith: ISTJ
    Sybil: ENFP

Isobel: ENTP
    Matthew: ISTJ

Bates: IxFJ (I believe this character is supposed to be an INFJ. I can’t figure out if that is being translated all the time via the acting though)
    Carsen: ISTJ
    Hughes: ESTJ
    Patmore: ESFJ
    Daisy: ISFP
    Anna: INFP

And for now I will leave the typing of Thomas & O'Brien to the 'professionals'...because I have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    Bates: IxFJ (I believe this character is supposed to be an INFJ. I can’t figure out if that is being translated all the time via the acting though)
    Yes, Brendan Coyle is quite inept.

Gosh you can be pissy sometimes!!! That is not what I meant at all.

Well, then I take back the 'yes'.

I believe all of the employees that are in close contact with the family...will automatically take on sorta an 'ISTJ persona'. So in other words...Brendan Coyle is playing his part to perfection.

What I meant is that he actually seems to be a bad actor. He has about two facial expressions and one speaking tone.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    What I meant is that he actually seems to be a bad actor. He has about two facial expressions and one speaking tone.
    I definitely agree here. I found that I just couldn't care about him and Anna's epicly failing romance because he was so boring to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I'm trying to type but I'm still laughing over 'two facial expressions...'

Yes...that is very true...haha. When I was watching I was trying to look at it as an actor playing an INFJ trying to be the best damn ISTJ footman (or whatever he is) Downton Abbey has ever hired in spite of his messed-up leg and freaky wife...but I can actually see what you are saying as well.

Dali

I struggled with N/S for Mary and almost selected IxTP, I definitely don't see here as a Se-dom though (her mocking of Mathew could also be seen as a reflection of what was deemed more acceptable for aristocratic men at that time, and could be seen to point towards her Fe function. Also, look at ESTP Isobel for comparison.) and there's a certain ISTP irreverence that I feel Mary lacks (or rather, has to a lesser degree). I think she's even better at playing the social game because she's INTP; it's almost a game to her. You can sense her distance and her disconnect and she even questions elements of it at parts (to her SJ parents' consternation) but her inferior-Fe springs up all over and tells her she ought to play her part.