User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Downton Abbey

Scientia potentia est Array iwakar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone else been watching this amazing show?

Mrs. Patmore - ESFJ

She's always grumpy. Reminds me so much of my mother. #homesick
    "The soul of wit may become the very body of untruth... But life is short and information endless: nobody has time for everything. In practice we are generally forced to choose between an unduly brief exposition and no exposition at all. Abbreviation is a necessary evil and the abbreviator's business is to make the best of a job which, though intrinsically bad, is still better than nothing." Aldous Huxley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post

Mrs. Patmore - ESFJ

I agree 100% with this typing. But I also believe the Dowager Countess to be ESFJ as well and it appears that most people are typing both Patmore & the DC as ESTJ. Likewise...everyone seems to be typing Lady Crawley as ESFJ...and that is not the type I would give her. I can't really say what she is at this point...but I just don't get that vibe from her. But I too have a 'fussy ESFJ Mom'...so maybe I'm bias as to what ESFJs are supposed to be like...haha.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post

Mrs. Patmore - ESFJ

I just got into the show this weekend... watched all over series 1 last night.

My general ideas of types based on the first series:

Lord Robert: IxTJ (Kind of leaning towards INTJ at times and ISTJ at other times.)
    Lady Cora: ESTJ
    Dowager Countess: ESFJ

Mary: ENTJ
    Edith: ISFJ
    Sybil: ENFP

Isobel: ENTP
    Matthew: INTP

Bates: ISFJ
    Carsen: ISTJ
    Hughes: ISTJ
    Patmore: ESFJ
    Daisy: EXFP
    Anna: IxFx (I can't decide on her totally)
    Thomas: xNTJ
    O'Brien: ESFP

Breaking into Series 2 tonight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Lord Robert: IxTJ (Kind of leaning towards INTJ at times and ISTJ at other times.)
    Surely you're joking, Mrs. Saturned. Robert is not an INTJ, but much rather an ISFJ.

Isobel: ENTP
    ENFJ?

O'Brien: ESFP
    I think ENTJ suits her well.
    One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent.
    — H. L. Mencken

Dali

I love this show. The Dowager Countess is prolly one of the wittiest characters I've yet encountered and is played by such a magnificent actress; no one can deliver a line like Maggie Smith.

Lord Crawley - ISTJ (the Te tempered by age and maturity)
    Lady Crawley - ESFJ
    The Dowager Countess - ESTJ (and taps into her Ne so delightfully, when throwing out her one-liners)
    Matthew Crawley - INTP
    Lady Mary - INTP
    Lady Edith - ISTJ
    Lady Sybil - ENFP
    Mrs Crawley - ESTP

Carson - ISTJ
    Mrs. Hughes - ISTJ
    Mrs. Patmore - ESTJ
    Bates - InFJ
    O'Brien - ESTP/ENTJ ?
    Thomas - INTJ
    Anna - ENFP
    William - ISFP
    Daisy - ESFP

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Surely you're joking, Mrs. Saturned. Robert is not an INTJ, but much rather an ISFJ.

ENFJ?

I think ENTJ suits her well.
    no I am not. I felt that he is extremely balanced in his Te/Fi. A lot of his decisions based on emotions come down to his personal belief system. Example, Bates' employment. I struggle with the s/n divide at times because I see differing evidence to support either. The conversation with Matthew about why he loves downtown abbey so much seemed very Ni to me, as well as how and why he is so loyal to this estate.

I was hesitating between ENTP and ENFJ for Isobel. I could go either way. She seems caring but at the same time is very matter of fact and not interested in wallowing in emotions. Whatever she is, I liked her loads.

O'brien: yes I was sort of wavering between the two since she seems very Se/Te. I have just started season 2 (watched first two episodes of season 2 last night after posting here, and got a much better read on her than my initial one.)

wants Mifune clone minion Array Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Post Thanks / Like

It surprises me that people are seeing O’Brien as anything other than Je dom, or at least aux. Pe dom or aux types generally don’t have as much trouble letting things go, and it’s like the woman lives and breathes to ‘keep score’ of things. And I think it’s Ni sensitivity/paranoia/tunnel vision that makes her so sensitive/keen to the different kinds of respect going on around her (she’s sensitive to how arbitrary it is, that it’s a matter of being born into a certain class rather than based on the actual person…..and when she feels disrespected, it’s like it explodes into a whole bigger thing about that unfairness)- and makes her so bitter and vindictive. I don’t think Pe types (dom/aux) get SO nonplussed over the same kinds of things, or that the anger has as much staying power as it does with her- they can live more for the moment. I don't see her as living for the moment *at all*. It's all about the scales of justice in her head constantly being checked- based on her cumulative experience of a person- and manipulating the external environment to make sure people get what she believes should be coming to them.

I see ENFJness over ENTJness, and ENJness over INJness- but she seems so NJ to me that it’s kinda stifling.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari Or this.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    It surprises me that people are seeing O’Brien as anything other than Je dom, or at least aux. Pe dom or aux types generally don’t have as much trouble letting things go, and it’s like the woman lives and breathes to ‘keep score’ of things. And I think it’s Ni sensitivity/paranoia/tunnel vision that makes her so sensitive/keen to the different kinds of respect going on around her (she’s sensitive to how arbitrary it is, that it’s a matter of being born into a certain class rather than based on the actual person…..and when she feels disrespected, it’s like it explodes into a whole bigger thing about that unfairness)- and makes her so bitter and vindictive. I don’t think Pe types (dom/aux) get SO nonplussed over the same kinds of things, or that the anger has as much staying power as it does with her- they can live more for the moment. I don't see her as living for the moment *at all*. It's all about the scales of justice in her head constantly being checked- based on her cumulative experience of a person- and manipulating the external environment to make sure people get what she believes should be coming to them.

I see ENFJness over ENTJness, and ENJness over INJness- but she seems so NJ to me that it’s kinda stifling.
    Where I went wrong was second guessing my choices and thinking I was going too far with the N's and falling under that old tendency to view everyone the same as myself. I also kept thinking too much of "what are the odds there are two ENTJs in this house, etc."

What you say makes a ton of sense and I agree with your assessment.

wants Mifune clone minion Array Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just gotten into this show recently myself, and I'm almost done with the second season. Thomas and O'Brien are difficult for me to watch, because they keep making such crappy choices- the way they're written makes their underlying motivations understandable somewhat (in that Shakespearean 'no one is bad for no reason' kind of way), so I feel bad for them, but they're so cruel! They just seem to embody NJness gone wrong so well to me (and I say this acknowledging there might be a little bit of Pi tunnel vision on my own part in perceiving it that way ). It's just that their focus is so singular at times- on leveling out past injustices they've felt, and the contrast of some 'ideal' that'll never come to fruition lingering like a bubble around their heads- instead of what's directly going on around them. *Je + Ni*.
    Last edited by Z Buck McFate; 03-06-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: to clarify
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari Or this.

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/so
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Lady Mary - INTP
    Lady Mary is so Se though. In one of the early episodes, she mocks Matthew because he prefers reading books over hunting and riding. And I don't think an INTP would be as good in playing the social game, like Lady Mary does. She strikes me as an ESTP with inferior Fe explaining why she is so concerned about what people thinks of her.