• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Firefly (formerly your favorite TV characters)

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
This works better when we limit the topic. FIREFLY! GO!

Firefly

Mal - ISTJ? ESTJ?
Jayne - ESTP
Simon - Reminds me of an INTJ I know
River - INTP?
Kaylee - ESFJ? ISFJ? ENFJ?
Zoe - ?
Wash - ESFP (Alternate guess: ENTP or ENFP)
Inara - ENFJ?
Book - INFJ?

Last edited:

narticus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Firefly

Mal - ISTJ? ESTJ?
Jayne - ESTP
Simon - Reminds me of an INTJ I know
River - INTP?
Kaylee - ESFJ? ISFJ? ENFJ?
Zoe - ?
Wash - ESFP (Alternate guess: ENTP or ENFP)
Inara - ENFJ?
Book - INFJ?

Mal - ISTP - always looking (shortsightedly) for too much adventure and too poor of a planner to be a J. Too closed off to be an E, and I especially lean toward I over E due to his loyalty to his crew (the few close friends I instead of a stream of new people E). S for sure. He does have a too strongly-developed sense of personal ethics for me to completely rule out ISFP, but I'll leaning toward T
Jayne - ESTP, a stereotype
Simon - INTJ, yep
River - who knows how much of her personality is hers and how much of it is the brain-tinkering. Probably an N, probably a P, probably a T.
Kaylee - ENFJ
Zoe - xSTJ? The sargeant type
Wash - ExFP, definitely. I lean toward S on this one, but not with 100% conviction
Inara - ExFx
Book - INTP - Given the hinted-at secrets of his past, I think he's a T who's forced himself to develop some F in his old age in order to cope with that past. He is more of a truth-seeker than a world-conquestor, so INTP.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
All Southpark posts have been moved to their very own thread. This thread is now for Firefly only. Sorry guys, my lack of foresight in this thread bugged the hell out of me.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
River - INTP?
Whenever I see lists of fictional INTPs, they seem to consist largely of things like cyborgs, alien species, and persons whose psyche has been modified to the point of being incomprehensible to humans in general. It's also very common to see INTP followed by a question mark. INTPs are sort of the default catch-all for "WTF?"

I think that's way cool.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mal - ISTP or ENTP - lean towards ISTP because he seems introverted in his personal privacy, and yet his identity rests in his ship and crew.
Jayne - ESTP - the stereotype of it
Simon - INTJ - pretty obvious INTJ
River - ?
Kaylee - ISFP - she is warm hearted, earthy, sensual, and mechanically gifted. A definite SP
Zoe - ISTJ - duty, honor bound, consistent, strong, clear.
Wash - INTP - he seems like the quintessential INTP - I am a leaf on the wind and yet technically precise pilot with dinosaur action figures.
Inara - INFJ - she is cool and distant, but gifted at reading people. She could also be an ENFJ.
Book - INFJ - not sure on that one. He is subdued and mysterious.

Isn't River way too filled with dichotomies to be INTP? I think she could be INFJ especially how she has the fearful waif mode turned ferocious avenger. In addition to this her ability to read into people seems seems strongly intuitive. She doesn't seem terribly logical or systematic, but more intuitively driven. When she took down the Reavers it was for Simon. "You've always protected me - now it's my turn." ENFP just crossed my mind as a possibility also being intuitive dominant, but I'm not certain. River could be an extrovert. It is difficult to tell because she is damaged.

luridlemur

Mal - ISTP
Jayne - ESTP
Simon - INTJ
River - F'ed up ex-INTP
Kaylee - ENFP maybe S
Zoe - ISTJ
Wash - ENTP
Inara - INFJ
Book - uh, who knows

nightwatcher

MBTI Type
INXJ
Mal ENTP/ISTP
Zoe ISTJ
Wash INFP
Kaylee ENFP
Jayne ISTP
Inara ENFJ
Simon INTJ
River XXXX
Book INFJ

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
Kaylee - ENFP
Simon - I agree that INTJ fits
River - xNxx. I'd say introvert, but trauma can make even the most extroverted people turn inside themselves, so I'm not sure.
Mal - xSTP
Jayne - ESTP (Who else loved the Jaynestown episode??)
Inara - ENFJ

I was tempted to make a joke about what type I think the Reavers are, but I'll refrain. ^_^

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Mal - ISTP or ENTP - lean towards ISTP because he seems introverted in his personal privacy, and yet his identity rests in his ship and crew.
Jayne - ESTP - the stereotype of it
Simon - INTJ - pretty obvious INTJ
River - ?
Kaylee - ISFP - she is warm hearted, earthy, sensual, and mechanically gifted. A definite SP
Zoe - ISTJ - duty, honor bound, consistent, strong, clear.
Wash - INTP - he seems like the quintessential INTP - I am a leaf on the wind and yet technically precise pilot with dinosaur action figures.
Inara - INFJ - she is cool and distant, but gifted at reading people. She could also be an ENFJ.
Book - INFJ - not sure on that one. He is subdued and mysterious.

I agree with all of these.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Mal - ISTP
Jayne - ESTP
Simon - ISTJ (INTJ's show more unusual behavior than Simon does.)
River - INFJ
Kaylee - ESFP (She's clearly an "artisan" and a feeler. I can't see her as an N.)
Zoe - ESTJ
Wash - ENFP or maybe ENTP (playing with toys as a grown up is what you expect from ENxP's)
Inara - ENFJ
Book - toughest to type because he holds back who he really is. I'll guess ISFP.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mal: ISTP
Jayne: ESTP
Simon: Liquid Laser's assesment of ISTJ is really swaying me, but I'll still say InTJ
River: ENTP? (based on flashbacks... and how I think she might act post-crazy. I don't really see any Fe. Sure, 'cause she psychic she'll sometimes experience the emotional state of another, but she's not really concillatory or sensitive)
Kaylee: ISFP
Zoe: ISTJ
Wash: ENFP
Inara: ENFJ
Book: I don't really know, but I think that from the show- it's like he's trying to oppose his natural inclinations/ the things he did back when... so I'll just throw out ESTJ.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
Mal - ISTP
Jayne - ESTP
Simon - ISTJ (INTJ's show more unusual behavior than Simon does.)
River - INFJ
Kaylee - ESFP (She's clearly an "artisan" and a feeler. I can't see her as an N.)
Zoe - ESTJ
Wash - ENFP or maybe ENTP (playing with toys as a grown up is what you expect from ENxP's)
Inara - ENFJ
Book - toughest to type because he holds back who he really is. I'll guess ISFP.

Why don't you see Kaylee as an N?

Simon behaved pretty oddly at times, especially in regard to his interest in Kaylee... haha... I'd accept ISTJ for him, but I still think INTJ is more likely.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Kaylee displays Se over Ne. She's clearly into the sensual pleasures. The strawberries. Her impulsiveness. Even the mechanical aptitude.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Why don't you see Kaylee as an N?

Simon behaved pretty oddly at times, especially in regard to his interest in Kaylee... haha... I'd accept ISTJ for him, but I still think INTJ is more likely.

Basically what Colors said is right. High mechanical aptitude is associated with Se. Beyond that she tends to enjoy beautiful/sensual things simply for the sake of their own beauty. That's Se. In describing her attraction to Simon, she mentions it's been a long time since she's had a man between her legs. That doesn't sound like some heightened NF idealistic romance. That's your basic Se horniness. Also she tends to rely more on common sense like an SP than on elaborate metaphors or explanations like an NF. She's clearly a feeler, but that feeling is influenced by sensing and not intuition.

scarecrow

MBTI Type
intj
mal istp w/good ne function
simon enfj. more f than t. nothing like istj.

kaylee enfp. mechanical aptitude, liking sex & strawberries do not make her sp.

jayne istp. where does everyone get estp.
river infj. pure ni without fe auxiliary but some fi.
zoe istj
wash infp
inara infj
book infj

thejames

MBTI Type
INFP
FIREFLY (Greatest 1-Season Show of All Time): A Complete Typology

If you find Myers-Briggs Typology interesting,
yet haven't seen Firefly, you are most definitely missing out.

(Yes, I know there is another Firefly thread,
but this one is much more expansive as opposed to a simple "guess the types" discussion.)

- Part 1: Firefly Character Types
- Part 2: Firefly MBTI Relationships

Part 1 of 2: FIREFLY CHARACTER TYPES
(based on my observation and research)​

Mal - ISTP

"ISTPs are loyal to their causes and beliefs, and are firm believers that people should be treated with equity and fairness. Although they do not respect the rules of the "System", they follow their own rules and guidelines for behavior faithfully. They will not take part in something which violates their personal laws. ISTPs are extremely loyal and faithful to their "brothers"." (personalitypage.com)

Zoe - ISTJ

"They have a strongly-felt internal sense of duty, which lends them a serious air and the motivation to follow through on tasks. Organized and methodical in their approach, they can generally succeed at any task which they undertake... ISTJs are very loyal, faithful, and dependable. They place great importance on honesty and integrity... While they generally take things very seriously, they also usually have an offbeat sense of humor and can be a lot of fun - especially at family or work-related gatherings." (personalitypage.com)

Wash - ESFP

"They are lively and fun, and enjoy being the center of attention. They live in the here-and-now, and relish excitement and drama in their lives... ESFP is definitely a spontaneous, optimistic individual... They would love nothing more than for life to be a continual party, in which they play the role of the fun-loving host... The ESFP under a great deal of stress gets overwhelmed with negative thoughts and possibilities... They like to "go with the flow", trusting in their ability to improvise in any situation presented to them. They learn best with "hands-on" experience, rather than by studying a book." (personalitypage.com)

Jayne - ESTP

"ESTPs get great satisfaction from acting on their impulses. Activities involving great power, speed, thrill and risk are attractive to the ESTP... Oddly enough, the ESTP seems to admire and respect anyone who can beat [him] at [his] own game... "If I was any better, I couldn't stand it!" To an ESTP, admission of weakness feels like failure. He admires strength in himself and in others." (typelogic.com)

"Blunt, straight-forward risk-takers, they are willing to plunge right into things and get their hands dirty. They live in the here-and-now, and place little importance on introspection or theory... If the ESTP has decided that something needs to be done, then their "do it and get on with it" attitude takes precendence over the rules..." (personalitypage.com)

Kaylee - ENFJ

"ENFJ's main interest in life is giving love, support, and a good time to other people. They are focused on understanding, supporting, and encouraging others... They are typically very straight-forward and honest. Usually ENFJs exude a lot of self-confidence, and have a great amount of ability to do many different things... They get excited about possibilities for the future, but may become easily bored and restless with the present... They are warmly affirming and nurturing... When a situation calls for it, the ENFJ will become very sharp and critical. After having made their point, they will return to their natural, warm selves... Although the ENFJ will probably not ask for it, they need to be given sweet words and loving affirmation." (personalitypage.com)

"ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture... ENFJs know and appreciate people... They have thinner psychological boundaries than most, and are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people." (typelogic.com)

Simon - INTP

"They live primarily inside their own minds, having the ability to analyze difficult problems, identify patterns, and come up with logical explanations. They seek clarity in everything, and are therefore driven to build knowledge... The INTP is likely to be very shy when it comes to meeting new people. On the other hand, the INTP is very self-confident and gregarious around people they know well, or when discussing theories which they fully understand.

Since their Feeling side is their least developed trait, the INTP may have difficulty giving the warmth and support that is sometimes necessary in intimate relationships." (personalitypage.com)

"Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off. While annoying to the less concise, this fine discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists." (typelogic.com)

River - INFJ

"INFJs are gentle, caring, complex and highly intuitive individuals. Artistic and creative, they live in a world of hidden meanings and possibilities... They know things intuitively, without being able to pinpoint why, and without detailed knowledge of the subject at hand. They are usually right, and they usually know it... Only one percent of the population has an INFJ Personality Type, making it the most rare of all the types... some INFJs report experiences of a psychic nature, such as getting strong feelings about there being a problem with a loved one, and discovering later that they were in a car accident. This is the sort of thing that other types may scorn and scoff at... They are deep, complex individuals, who are quite private and typically difficult to understand." (personalitypage.com)

"INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden. They often are found in the wake of an emergency, rescuing those who are in acute distress. INFJs may fantasize about getting revenge on those who victimize the defenseless." (typelogic.com)

Inara - ISFJ

"People value the ISFJ for their consideration and awareness, and their ability to bring out the best in others by their firm desire to believe the best... They value practical application... The ISFJ has an extremely well-developed sense of space, function, and aesthetic appeal. For that reason, they're likely to have beautifully furnished, functional homes. They make extremely good interior decorators." (personalitypage.com)

Book - INFP

"INFPs never seem to lose their sense of wonder. One might say they see life through rose-colored glasses... INFPs have the ability to see good in almost anyone or anything. Even for the most unlovable the INFP is wont to have pity." (typelogic.com)

"They rely heavily on their intuitions to guide them, and use their discoveries to constantly search for value in life. They are on a continuous mission to find the truth and meaning underlying things... Generally thoughtful and considerate, INFPs are good listeners and put people at ease. Although they may be reserved in expressing emotion, they have a very deep well of caring and are genuinely interested in understanding people." (personalitypage.com)

Last edited:

thejames

MBTI Type
INFP
Part 2 of 2: FIREFLY MBTI RELATIONSHIPS
(a 'therefore' section proceding my first part: all things quoted from typelogic.com)​

For Mal, the ISTP:

- Zoe = “Complement: compatible strengths with opposite emphases”
- Wash = “Tribesman: share a sense of culture, but with different interests and abilities”
- Jayne = “Pal: work and play well together: minimal natural type conflict”
- Kaylee = “Anima: each is the other’s inferior (4th) function”
- Simon = “Neighbor: arrive at the same place by variant processes”
- River = “Supplement: like pal, but functions are farther removed: each can add to the other’s strengths”
- Inara = “Advisor: each has an area of insight that the other lacks”
- Book = “Enigma: a puzzle: totally foreign in nearly every facet”

For Zoe, the ISTJ:

- Mal = “Complement: compatible strengths with opposite emphases”
- Wash = Natural partner in love (according to personalitypage.com). “Pedagogue: each is the other’s mentor and student: has a ‘parent to child’ feel.”
- Jayne = “Contrast: point and counterpoint on each function”
- Kaylee = “Novelty: intriguingly different: interestingly so”
- Simon = “Suitemate: a person one might be comfortable sharing an office. Prefer similar climates, but don’t necessarily have much in common as far as goals are world view”
- River = “Enigma: a puzzle: totally foreign in nearly every facet”
- Inara = “Companion: similar modes of expression: bear each other’s company well”
- Book = “Supplement: like pal, but functions are farther removed: each can add to the other’s strengths”

For Wash, the ESFP:

- Mal = “Tribesman: share a sense of culture, but with different interests and abilities”
- Zoe = Natural partner in love (according to personalitypage.com). “Pedagogue: each is the other’s mentor and student: has a ‘parent to child’ feel.”
- Jayne = “Companion: similar modes of expression: bear each other’s company well”
- Kaylee = “Suitemate: a person one might be comfortable sharing an office. Prefer similar climates, but don’t necessarily have much in common as far as goals are world view”
- Simon = “Novelty: intriguingly different: interestingly so”
- River = “Cohort: mutually drawn into experiential escapades”
- Inara = “Contrast: point and counterpoint on each function”
- Book = “Counterpart: perform similar functions in totally different realms”

For Jayne, the ESTP:

- Mal = “Pal: work and play well together: minimal natural type conflict”
- Zoe = “Contrast: point and counterpoint on each function”
- Wash = “Companion: similar modes of expression: bear each other’s company well”
- Kaylee = “Supplement: like pal, but functions are farther removed: each can add to the other’s strengths”
- Simon = “Counterpart: perform similar functions in totally different realms”
- River = “Anima: each is the other’s inferior (4th) function”
- Inara = “Pedagogue: each is the other’s mentor and student: has a ‘parent to child’ feel.”
- Book = “Novelty: intriguingly different: interestingly so”

For Kaylee, the ENFJ:

- Mal = “Anima: each is the other’s inferior (4th) function”
- Zoe = “Novelty: intriguingly different: interestingly so”
- Wash = “Suitemate: a person one might be comfortable sharing an office. Prefer similar climates, but don’t necessarily have much in common as far as goals are world view”
- Jayne = “Supplement: like pal, but functions are farther removed: each can add to the other’s strengths”
- Simon = “Pedagogue: each is the other’s mentor and student: has a ‘parent to child’ feel.”
- River = “Pal: work and play well together: minimal type natural conflict”
- Inara = “Counterpart: perform similar functions in totally different realms”
- Book = “Contrast: point and counterpoint on each function”

For Simon, the INTP:

- Mal = “Neighbor: arrive at the same place by variant processes”
- Zoe = “Suitemate: a person one might be comfortable sharing an office. Prefer similar climates, but don’t necessarily have much in common as far as goals are world view”
- Wash = “Novelty: intriguingly different: interestingly so”
- Jayne = “Counterpart: perform similar functions in totally different realms”
- Kaylee = “Pedagogue: each is the other’s mentor and student: has a ‘parent to child’ feel.”
- River = “Advisor: each has an area of insight that the other lacks”
- Inara = “Enigma: a puzzle: totally foreign in nearly every facet”
- Book = “Companion: similar modes of expression: bear each other’s company well”

For River, the INFJ:

- Mal = “Supplement: like pal, but functions are farther removed: each can add to the other’s strengths”
- Zoe = “Enigma: a puzzle: totally foreign in nearly every facet”
- Wash = “Cohort: mutually drawn into experiential escapades”
- Jayne = “Anima: each is the other’s inferior (4th) function”
- Kaylee = “Pal: work and play well together: minimal type natural conflict”
- Simon = “Advisor: each has an area of insight that the other lacks”
- Inara = “Neighbor: arrive at the same place by variant processes”
- Book = “Complement: compatible strengths with opposite emphases”

For Inara, the ISFJ:

- Mal = “Advisor: each has an area of insight that the other lacks”
- Zoe = “Companion: similar modes of expression: bear each other’s company well”
- Wash = “Contrast: point and counterpoint on each function”
- Jayne = “Pedagogue: each is the other’s mentor and student: has a ‘parent to child’ feel.”
- Kaylee = “Counterpart: perform similar functions in totally different realms”
- Simon = “Enigma: a puzzle: totally foreign in nearly every facet”
- River = “Neighbor: arrive at the same place by variant processes”
- Book = “Suitemate: a person one might be comfortable sharing an office. Prefer similar climates, but don’t necessarily have much in common as far as goals are world view”

For Book, the INFP:

- Mal = “Enigma: a puzzle: totally foreign in nearly every facet”
- Zoe = “Supplement: like pal, but functions are farther removed: each can add to the other’s strengths”
- Wash = “Counterpart: perform similar functions in totally different realms”
- Jayne = “Novelty: intriguingly different: interestingly so”
- Kaylee = “Contrast: point and counterpoint on each function”
- Simon = “Companion: similar modes of expression: bear each other’s company well”
- River = “Complement: compatible strengths with opposite emphases”
- Inara = “Suitemate: a person one might be comfortable sharing an office. Prefer similar climates, but don’t necessarily have much in common as far as goals are world view”

I'm throwing all this information out as a reference post in hoping to breed some awesome discussions...

Last edited: