• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing "Monk"

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, after a brief search through the backgrounds of the Pop Culture Type archives, I've discovered that no one has come up with types for the characters in Monk. It seems to me that these guys would be pretty easy to guess-type at the very least, but no one's actually done it.

I have a few guesses just to get the ball rolling:

Monk: ISFJ
Stottlemeyer: ISTJ
Disher: ESFP?
Natalie: ENTJ?
Sharona: ESTP?

If you don't know what Monk is, shame on you... :D

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Monk's an INTP. He seem pretty clearly intuitive to me, but an intuitive type with good access to Si. Many of the more mature INTPs show a lot of Si usage. Stottelmeyer seems more ESTJ than ISTJ to me. The anger and force that he shows shows both stronger Te and less-controlled Fi than most ISTJs. Disher is practically a caricature of ENTP. I don't think I even need to provide any reasoning for that one. Natalie seems ESFP to me. The S and F seem very clear and her concern for others seems more about the person than the concrete needs that an ESFJ would meet. I do think you might be right about Sharona, ESTP seems like a strong possibility for her to me.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Monk is ISTJ with Si to the extreme. I don't think he's an INTP. How many INTPs would notice such minute details to the level that Monk does? I think ISTJ with a well developed Ne, which is used when he uses the minute details to make connections to a bigger picture (the murder case). Also, the behaviors he exhibits seem very ISTJ like- extreme adherence to routine, not very open to trying new things or exploring the unknown.

Disher I think is a dominant Ne. I'm leaning slightly towards ENFP but ENTP is definitely possible.

I think Stottlemeyer is XSTJ. Could go either way with the E/I. Much more extraverted relative to Monk but I don't know if I'd peg him as an extravert.

I think Natalie is ESFJ. I can't rule out ESFP but she strikes as more of a dominant Fe user than a dominant Se. Her demeanor just reminds me so much of ESFJs I know.

Sharona is harder to peg down. It's been awhile since I've watched an episode with her in it so I don't have the best read on her. Compared with Natalie, Sharona seemed to have a slightly harder edge about her. Natalie seemed a little softer somehow. Natalie is clearly an F type, I'm not sure if Sharona is T or F. From what I remembered about Sharona, I'd say probably more E than I and more S than N.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Monk is ISTJ with Si to the extreme. I don't think he's an INTP. How many INTPs would notice such minute details to the level that Monk does? I think ISTJ with a well developed Ne, which is used when he uses the minute details to make connections to a bigger picture (the murder case). Also, the behaviors he exhibits seem very ISTJ like- extreme adherence to routine, not very open to trying new things or exploring the unknown.

Disher I think is a dominant Ne. I'm leaning slightly towards ENFP but ENTP is definitely possible.

I think Stottlemeyer is XSTJ. Could go either way with the E/I. Much more extraverted relative to Monk but I don't know if I'd peg him as an extravert.

I think Natalie is ESFJ. I can't rule out ESFP but she strikes as more of a dominant Fe user than a dominant Se. Her demeanor just reminds me so much of ESFJs I know.

Sharona is harder to peg down. It's been awhile since I've watched an episode with her in it so I don't have the best read on her. Compared with Natalie, Sharona seemed to have a slightly harder edge about her. Natalie seemed a little softer somehow. Natalie is clearly an F type, I'm not sure if Sharona is T or F. From what I remembered about Sharona, I'd say probably more E than I and more S than N.

I don't think you can really determine monk's type based on his awareness of details. He is OCD, after all. Ne is in the inferior position for ISTJs. INTP with strong Si seems much more reasonable than ISTJ with strong Ne. There's a big difference between tertiary and inferior.

R

Riva

Monk is the best detective TV series there is.

The best thing about the series are how elaborate the crimes are. Solving the crime is simply not catching a killer it's a mystery being unfolded.

The only other series that comes even remotely closer to the series in its complicated plots is Hercule Poirot.

G

Glycerine

Monk: ISTJ 6w5, 1w9, 3w4 SP/SO with OCD tendencies. I have watched 95% of the episodes.
Stottlemyer: I thought ESTX
His wife: INFX

EDIT: Thanks, [MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION].