• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type do you try to look like when you are obviously not?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an honorary ENFJ. I've even been typed as one before!

Domino knows this to be true, no matter how much she denies it.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I was younger I was put in repeated school situations where I was both misunderstood and ostracized (I don't mean this in a whiny way, I didn't get them either and didn't have a very good understanding of my temperament at the time). I find that I began to hide behind an INTJ mask.

I admire INTJs because they seem like they don't care what anyone says and are perfectly happy being alone. They also don't seem as clumsy/bumbly/bubbly. They seem so smooth and in control, and I interpreted that as confidence.

I am almost the exact opposite of this of course. I care too much, get lonely easily, and stumble through everything. At the time, I wanted to deadpan one-liners, project that nerdy-rebel aura :vader1:, and give icy glares. :thelook: (My real glares have been called the dreaded "cute", btw :dry:). I kept it up for a few years, and actually got rather good at it. I was originally mistyped as an INTP, them as an "emotionally unstable" ENTP :rolli:. I think this weak INTJ mask has become kind of my default safety-blanket setting. =( I'm working on that.

boondocked

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I admire INTJs because they seem like they don't care what anyone says and are perfectly happy being alone. They also don't seem as clumsy/bumbly/bubbly. They seem so smooth and in control, and I interpreted that as confidence.

I am almost the exact opposite of this of course. I care too much, get lonely easily, and stumble through everything. At the time, I wanted to deadpan one-liners, project that nerdy-rebel aura :vader1:, and give icy glares. :thelook: (My real glares have been called the dreaded "cute", btw :dry:).

I feel you. INTJ's are all the enviable things you mention. A few years ago, I mentioned a lot of what you just posted to my INTJ ex, and he had a few counterpoints that put things in a different light:

Me: "I wish I could be happier being alone, not relying on people for stimulation all the time"
Him: "You're nuts! Do you have any idea of how much easier my life would be if I actually liked to talk to people? I waste so much energy on conversations throughout the day!"

Me: "I wish people didn't tell me I was cute every time I get angry and treat me like a child even in some professional situations"
Him: "But you are cute. Live with it. And find a smart way to use it to your advantage."

Me: "Why do I have to care about what everyone thinks of me all the effin time?"
Him: "You don't."

I don't know, for some reason the things he said put ENFP in perspective for me and made me feel that I have some measure of control over the stuff I don't like so much. Maybe you'll feel the same way? Not like loving your type would make it much easier to untrain yourself to display an INTJ mask that has gotten comfortable. That's hard work, and I think it's brave of you to even admit that you have a mask. Best of luck :hug:

P.S. Oh, and you can glare at me and I promise you I won't find it the least bit cute ;)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an honorary ENFJ. I've even been typed as one before!

Domino knows this to be true, no matter how much she denies it.

YOU BORE ME!

I go for one of two approaches - if extroversion and conquest is needed, ESTP (nearly my shadow); if blending or silent persuasion is needed, INFx.

I wish I had the truly removed unreactive feel that IxFPs have.

StrawMan

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTJ at work, because that gets shit done and you promoted.

ESTP on freetime, because they create a fun mood everywhere they go. And girls dig them.

Sometimes I'm also plain old me.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I purposely try and look like an ISTP plumber or sometimes the ISTP Paul Bunyun subtype. I make snarky one liners and I wear my pants really low so that people can see my buttcrack.

I'm the most like my type. More so than anyone else in the world or anyone who used to exist in this world. I have no evidence for this but... I'm just gonna say that anyways because I think it makes me cool. Joe Cool.

joe-cool.jpg

hahahaha! :laugh:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm I switch between INTJ 5w4 and ENFJ 2w3 and somedays ISFP 9 (it's what the cool kids do these days.)

THREAD REVIVAL!

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
>Implying I can't actually become whatever type I want when I feel like it.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Probably a 5, but I have kind of accepted that at the very least that is not my core.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ENTP 9w8. No true ENTP 9w8 would put in this much effort into looking like an ENTP 9w8.

Trust me on this.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I am honest with myself... I jerk off at the thought of realizing that I am actually an alternate type. I've been quite aroused by the idea of myself being an ISFJ recently... but it hurts me because every time I try and rationalize it... well I can't. Someone convince me I'm an ISFJ ples. ;-;

Also INTP. I once went through a phase where I decided that the only way to achieve the truth was through separating myself from my own values. But then I wondered whether or not doing so was healthy, and so switched to the polar opposite end, trying to bring my own emotions into everything. Honestly I don't even know who I am anymore since I tend to change my perspective based on what I think is most beneficial for me at the time. lol.