• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type do you try to look like when you are obviously not?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No but your inane comment does.

And yet you graced it with a response. You do me a kindness.

Actually it's funny, he may shamelessly glorify himself outloud, but he does it in away that's remote from how he views others. I'd rather deal with that on regular basis then then one who believes themselves superior then others and uses it to berate others.

Totally agree with SH. (Not that I haven't done my own fair share of hating in here.) I think it's easy to tolerate someone who owns himself and own actions only, not anyone else's. That's an admirable trait in itself.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Actually it's funny, he may shamelessly glorify himself outloud

I'm glad that you agree with my original statement. What were you saying again?

Totally agree with SH. (Not that I haven't done my own fair share of hating in here.) I think it's easy to tolerate someone who owns himself and own actions only, not anyone else's. That's an admirable trait in itself.

So you find someone who owns other people's actions intolerable?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you find someone who owns other people's actions intolerable?

Meaning "I don't like people that don't like people?" :D

No, not at all. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see Elfboy really noticing or caring what anybody else does. (I don't know him well, it's just what I've seen so far.) I think that's admirable and makes the "shameless self glorification" more tolerable... (As if to say, "I'm awesome!" without necessarily saying that others aren't- or implying "I'm better than anyone else." something we see a lot around here.) And not only something we see a lot of, but something that's really easy to do.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do all of your posts consist of nothing other than shameless self-glorification?

:dont: I just listed several points that I don't like about myself and several more that I wish I did have. stating the irony that other people I know desire some of my traits does not make it self glorifying. I can only account for the shameless part because I don't believe in shame or regret. if this is the extent of your abilities to read between the lines, I strongly suggest working on Intuition function.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Meaning "I don't like people that don't like people?" :D

No, not at all. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see Elfboy really noticing or caring what anybody else does. (I don't know him well, it's just what I've seen so far.) I think that's admirable and makes the "shameless self glorification" more tolerable... (As if to say, "I'm awesome!" without necessarily saying that others aren't- or implying "I'm better than anyone else." something we see a lot around here.) And not only something we see a lot of, but something that's really easy to do.

your comment is very insightful. most people don't recognize this trait accurately and assume as an "I'm better than you" statement.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:dont: I just listed several points that I don't like about myself and several more that I wish I did have. stating the irony that other people I know desire some of my traits does not make it self glorifying. I can only account for the shameless part because I don't believe in shame or regret. if this is the extent of your abilities to read between the lines, I strongly suggest working on Intuition function.

:doh:

Stop looking down on Orangey after I just stood up for you by saying that you don't look down on people, you just like yourself.

Edit: But yeah, didn't seem like you were being vain and snotty so much as using a lot of detailed language to describe yourself, and that you know yourself well, and that you like yourself!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1) what type do you try to look like?

ENFJ, generally. or INTJ.

2) why do you try to look like this type?

because at first glance, ENFJ is like an organized ENFP. i know this is not really true, but on a very superficial level it's close enough. and i have Ni envy.

if you want the deep answer, because i'm insecure.

3) what qualities of this type to you admire?

the ENFJs i know are very charismatic, very likeable, with an elegance and a refinement. i admire how they conduct their lives, as if conducting music. they can make very positive humanistic leaders.

4) what qualities of your own personality do you wish were more like this type?

i am more loose and free, which is fine sometimes, but i try to repress it at others. i also have a compulsion to share. NJs do not tend to.

I think maybe it's possible that I'm a 6 who tries to act like a 3. Maybe that's what Petra is seeing...the opposite of what she assumes. :ninja:

dittooooooo

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:doh:

Stop looking down on Orangey after I just stood up for you by saying that you don't look down on people, you just like yourself.

you make a good point. I can be quite condescending when someone makes an ignorant and judgemental comment. in fact, I prize my being selfish, objectivistic, loving myself unconditionally and placing my own needs before others. but frankly, starting a thread for such a purpose would demonstrate the opposite motivation, be inconsiderate to people who actually wanted to talk about the topic and waste a bunch of energy.

Edit: I suppose you already knew everything after the first 2 sentences. I guess I feel being condescending is justified in such instances

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Bad memory and lack of reading comprehension skills eh? That must be rough buddy.

Hmmmm...

Why do all of your posts consist of nothing other than shameless self-glorification?

Actually it's funny, he may shamelessly glorify himself outloud

Who needs a memory when we've got records?

:rolli:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't consciously try & come off like any type.... Unintentionally, I may seem INTP-ish IRL because I don't have a warm demeanor & have been called argumentative at times. I actually have a distaste for strong emotional displays - they can make me quite uncomfortable. I'm suspicious of emotional arguments - but value-based are fine.

Physically, I might seem ISFP-ish, just because people have weird ideas about Ns not being interested in fashion or having any sense of aesthetics because somehow being N means we're floating spirits with no eyes or ears or experience of the tangible, so we never notice nor care about aesthetics (uh huh)....or some buy into the "all artists must be SPs" bit. I'm sort of artsy fartsy & have a strong sense of color & proportion, if I do say so myself :cheese: . I like to apply my creative sensibilities to my appearance, so it might seem more stereotypically SP; although I think there's an NF quirky, bohemian stereotype that I probably fit neatly into :tongue:

Well, again, I don't try....but my reasons are: I'm shameless about being bookish & a bit of a know-it-all, but I'll make fun of myself for it too. I'm not the mushy gushy type, so I try and warn people that they can't expect overt expressiveness from me, but I do have passionate moments (which is really what "argumentative" is - something has excited me enough to assert an opinion).

I think I explained my interest in aesthetics above & how that might seem SP-ish...

I love that INTPs will talk about all the bookish stuff they like because I like it too & it's great when someone else is up for that conversation & doesn't find it dull.

I feel like ISFPs are more prolific than I am. I feel like they have more work to back up the image because they spend less time deliberating & refining concepts because they're not quite as idealistic (Ne eggs on Fi in the idealism factor....).

In some ways, I think it could be simpler to be a T because sometimes I feel I have little of the good qualities commonly associated with Feeling (personal warmth, good with people, visibly sympathetic, etc), but not the full strengths of a T type either when it comes to a certain level of detachment (for lack of a better word).

I wish I was more in-the-moment like an SP, and I know they don't know what that means, and that's because they're not an N.....I always feel stuck in the future fantasy or replay of the past, but the present eludes me. I think I'd be more productive if I was more focused on the tangible.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't consciously try & come off like any type.... Unintentionally, I may seem INTP-ish IRL because I don't have a warm demeanor & have been called argumentative at times. I actually have a distaste for strong emotional displays - they can make me quite uncomfortable. I'm suspicious of emotional arguments - but value-based are fine.

Physically, I might seem ISFP-ish, just because people have weird ideas about Ns not being interested in fashion or having any sense of aesthetics because somehow being N means we're floating spirits with no eyes or ears or experience of the tangible, so we never notice nor care about aesthetics (uh huh)....or some buy into the "all artists must be SPs" bit. I'm sort of artsy fartsy & have a strong sense of color & proportion, if I do say so myself :cheese: . I like to apply my creative sensibilities to my appearance, so it might seem more stereotypically SP; although I think there's an NF quirky, bohemian stereotype that I probably fit neatly into :tongue:

Well, again, I don't try....but my reasons are: I'm shameless about being bookish & a bit of a know-it-all, but I'll make fun of myself for it too. I'm not the mushy gushy type, so I try and warn people that they can't expect overt expressiveness from me, but I do have passionate moments (which is really what "argumentative" is - something has excited me enough to assert an opinion).

I think I explained my interest in aesthetics above & how that might seem SP-ish...

I love that INTPs will talk about all the bookish stuff they like because I like it too & it's great when someone else is up for that conversation & doesn't find it dull.

I feel like ISFPs are more prolific than I am. I feel like they have more work to back up the image because they spend less time deliberating & refining concepts because they're not quite as idealistic (Ne eggs on Fi in the idealism factor....).

In some ways, I think it could be simpler to be a T because sometimes I feel I have little of the good qualities commonly associated with Feeling (personal warmth, good with people, visibly sympathetic, etc), but not the full strengths of a T type either when it comes to a certain level of detachment (for lack of a better word).

I wish I was more in-the-moment like an SP, and I know they don't know what that means, and that's because they're not an N.....I always feel stuck in the future fantasy or replay of the past, but the present eludes me. I think I'd be more productive if I was more focused on the tangible.

seriously. why do people think there is this choice between being a poorly dressed intellectual and a fashionble shallow person? actually, why do people think there are only 2choices to most things?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I often end up looking like a INTP or a ENFP.

I unintentionally end up behaving like one of them, when I'm in feeling self-conscious (which is often) and trying to cover it up. They're like my safe zones at the opposite ends of my personality range. And I guess both makes me feel more control of people's perception of me (leaving me feeling less vulnerable) than being my usual self.

When I go INTP (and I stress this is unhealthy INTP behaviour) I become very anti-social or very cool and detached when I do interact with others. I can also get arrogant and flippant. This is me being lazy and difficult.

When I go ENFP, I'm silly, fun, and wise-cracking in order to feign a more relatable, easy-going quality. This is me trying be fearlessly open and charming, in order to cover up my anxiousness and self-doubt.

ENFPs - like I said: relatable, fun and interesting but still have the quirkiness etc that I can identify with.

INTPs - they're strong-minded, true to themselves and don't try to please people. They're also smart, to the point and like to question the world around them.

See above

Last edited:

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
ISFP, so I can get all the hipster chicks.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop

I don't consciously try to look like another type, but I prefer expressing certain characteristics more than others. Recently, I have been acting more extroverted than I feel. I feel like I am extremely introverted, but people have been guessing that I am extroverted and I have been making a point to always express myself and put myself out there. I also act more rigid than I am. I am very laid-back but I always jump when certain principles are being discussed and get very rawr rawr. I am not docile or innocent. I keep my eyes wide open and I don't deliver mushy words or sentiments. I pay attention to what is happening around me. I am quick to anger and quick to speak up when I see injustice or see someone making a mistake. I am wary of people and a lot more calculating than I used to be. I am always aware of my Fi, but I express and execute in different ways.

I am not sure which type I am trying to convey. I do admire NTJs and ENFs a lot so perhaps it's a combination of their traits. I admire NTJs for getting shit done and I admire ENFs for their ability to charm the pants off of everyone. I am not so charming, I get to the point and sometimes, it's too blunt and unappealing.

Illmatic

I try to be like an ISTP, but i think i am an ISTP deep down, i just need to get my emotions in check.

I am an ISFP.

boondocked

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always try for ESTP. I love their confidence and the smooth way they talk :hifive:

It's a reach, though.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always try for ESTP. I love their confidence and the smooth way they talk :hifive:

It's a reach, though.

ENFPs can be just as confident and smooth talking as ESTPs

boondocked

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFPs can be just as confident and smooth talking as ESTPs

Maybe! I do think ENFP's are ingratiating, charming and witty, but not smooth. I, for one, always seem to be standing in the wrong place at the wrong time, have too many hands and feet (all of which are left feet) and am sometimes over-enthusiastic, bubbling over instead playing it cool.

ESTPs just have a certain swagger to them that I've always liked and can't seem to get by imitation. ISTPs too, come to think of it, though that swagger is more muted and mysterious. And I love how both types just don't seem to care. I feel like I am a career socializer, which means that I think of it almost as my job to constantly take the temperature of my social environment and adjust myself to heat it up or cool it down, taking active responsibility for the happiness and comfort of those around me. I read for other people's cues constantly and extrapolate all sorts of things that help me figure out how to navigate, and really I take it all just a bit too seriously. As I'm sure is the case for most ENFPs, these tendencies win me plenty of friends and boyfriends, but there's nothing effortless about it. XSTPs? They just do their thing and we all love them anyways. As for the confidence point, I tend read XSTPs' casual unconcern as confidence. In all actuality, they just probably have a different set of priorities.

Still, I just want to try it out, for ONE DAY!!

:yes: