• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Lost" characters

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jack: ESTJ, yes
Ben Linus: INTJ, obviusly
Kate: Am I the only person that think she is introverted? ISFP

Yeah, that's my best guess for Kate. He's a little enigmatic, because she plays the "Runner" archetype in the story structure whereas most ISFPs are typically more phlegmatic and wander, but ISFP is probably the best fit.

Sawyer: ENTJ
SP, not ENTJ. To me, that one was as obvious as Ben.

Locke: INFJ
I just responded to a PersCafe comment that said the same thing, and I'm bewildered. Locke's a quintessential INFP, one of the most clearly defined characters on the show; Juliette in comparison is a pretty standard INFJ in her self-expression. The two look very different. I'm not sure why people confuse them. The doubt factor alone (John wanders all over the map and agonizes about every little interpretation and every little detail of life in his quest for meaning; Juliette puts out confidence and runs on internalized will, with a very socially appropriate exterior) would clinch the read, but they seem to be pretty textbook type reads. Sun is another INFJ, but you can see variation in type there. I think you're getting confused on Juliette because her Ti is fairly decent (mostly a control issue, her detachment protects her internal world and she feels security in her science career), whereas Sun expresses her F-ness in her day to day more rather than veering into a more technical pursuit like Juliette did.

G

Ginkgo

I just responded to a PersCafe comment that said the same thing, and I'm bewildered. Locke's a quintessential INFP, one of the most clearly defined characters on the show; Juliette in comparison is a pretty standard INFJ in her self-expression. The two look very different. I'm not sure why people confuse them. The doubt factor alone (John wanders all over the map and agonizes about every little interpretation and every little detail of life in his quest for meaning; Juliette puts out confidence and runs on internalized will, with a very socially appropriate exterior) would clinch the read, but they seem to be pretty textbook type reads. Sun is another INFJ, but you can see variation in type there. I think you're getting confused on Juliette because her Ti is fairly decent (mostly a control issue, her detachment protects her internal world and she feels security in her science career), whereas Sun expresses her F-ness in her day to day more rather than veering into a more technical pursuit like Juliette did.

Locke reads more like Ni than Fi. There's a level of confidence in his perceptions that suggests that he depends less on the objective than the subjective. His "feelings" are more like visions, predictions, insights, and and rough indicators than value based standards for decision making. He also seems pretty structured; I see a chart the course style more than a "behind the scenes" style. Furthermore, he seems to place a higher priority on his personal vision than the individuals he deals with (
) Granted, he does fit several MBTI profiles of INFP more than he does for INFJ.

Hell, I guess INFP would be my second guess. I don't think he's an ISFP because he repeatedly and shamelessly places a higher priority on abstract explanations than Science Man Jack does.

Hmm... Kate kinda reminds me of Olivia Dunham from Fringe.

:shrug:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't read locke as confident. He's constantly agonizing over his beliefs. He even dies in agonizing doubt. This is JiNe at work. Externalize possibilities/events confuse his faith.

If you want Ni style confidence, look at Ben or Juliette.

G

Ginkgo

I don't read locke as confident. He's constantly agonizing over his beliefs. He even dies in agonizing doubt. This is JiNe at work. Externalize possibilities/events confuse his faith.

If you want Ni style confidence, look at Ben or Juliette.

I've only watched the first season; he seems to have only struggled that way a couple of times. Hooray Netflix! :happy2: /continues watching

SunRider

MBTI Type
INTP
My take on it, after seeing the whole series(about 2 years ago) and now seeing it all over again. Just to let you know, i'm putting a lot of thought into typing each character. I'm basing that on overall observation of each character rather than on recent events. Large letters = more extreme, Capital letters = more borderline.
Red color = extreme.

This is up untill seasons 3-4:

Jack: ESfJ - a leader, likes to give orders, impulsive, "feet on the ground", mostly makes decisions based on emotions/people, organized, systematic...

Kate: iSfp - doesn't like too much attention, a bit of a loner, "feet on the ground", mostly makes decisions based on emotions/people, unplanned, goes with the flow...

Sawyer: IstP - doesn't like too much attention, a bit of a loner, "feet on the ground", mostly makes decisions based on logic, unplanned, goes with the flow...

Locke: INtP - doesn't like too much attention, a loner, "head in the clouds", follows patterns, mostly makes decisions based on logic, unplanned, goes with the flow...

Sayid: iSTJ - doesn't like too much attention, a bit of a loner, "feet on the ground", mostly makes decisions based on logic, planned, organized, systematic...

Hurley: EsFP - social, a people-person, "feet on the ground", mostly makes decisions based on emotions/people, unplanned, goes with the flow...

Charlie: esFP - social, a people-person, "feet on the ground", mostly makes decisions based on emotions/people, unplanned, goes with the flow...

Claire: isFp - doesn't like too much attention, "feet on the ground", mostly makes decisions based on emotions/people, unplanned, goes with the flow...

Sun: isFj - doesn't like too much attention, "feet on the ground", mostly makes decisions based on emotions/people, planned, organized...

Jin: IStj - doesn't like too much attention, a bit of a loner, "feet on the ground", mostly makes decisions based on logic, organized, planned...

Mr.Eko: INfp - doesn't like too much attention, a loner, "head in the clouds", follows patterns, mostly makes decisions based on emotions/people, unplanned, goes with the flow...

Benjamin: iNTJ - doesn't like too much attention, a bit of a loner, a strategist, follows patterns, mostly makes decisions based on logic, planned, organized, systematic...

Juliet: inFp - doesn't like too much attention, a bit of a loner, an idealist, mostly makes decisions based on emotions/people, unplanned, goes with the flow...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jack: ESfJ - a leader, likes to give orders, impulsive, "feet on the ground", mostly makes decisions based on emotions/people, organized, systematic...

So you think Jack's primary function is Fe, vs Te? That he is people-oriented, not task-oriented?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have commented in another thread like this one before, which I will post below:

ben - intj
jack - estj
kate - estp
sawyer - istp
sayid - istp
locke - intj
hurley - esfp
daniel - intp
man in black - intj
jacob - infj
miles - entp
witmore - entj
rose - isfj
juliet - enfj
clair - esfj
charlie - enfp
desmond - infp
jin - istj
sun - isfp

I probably mistyped at least half the list and also forgot at least half the characters but whatever!

The only change I would make now is Ben seems more like ENTJ since he is so good at domination strategies.

SunRider

MBTI Type
INTP
So you think Jack's primary function is Fe, vs Te? That he is people-oriented, not task-oriented?

Of course Jack is people-oriented. Almost everything he has done in the series, is supporting people and putting his own needs aside just to help and protect others.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Of course Jack is people-oriented. Almost everything he has done in the series, is supporting people and putting his own needs aside just to help and protect others.

I think you need to rethink how Jack does that, in comparison to F's like Hurley and Kate.

I wouldn't call Benjamin Linus an F, but everything he does is to "help others" in his own words. And John Locke has far more F traits than Jack Shepherd, yet you've got the former as a T and the latter as an F. You are also failing to answer my question of whether Jack is primarily Te directed or Fe directed.

T's are certainly allowed to consider people in the course of making their decisions. Doctors do it every day. All doctors. yet there are many MANY T doctors in the world.

SunRider

MBTI Type
INTP
I think you need to rethink how Jack does that, in comparison to F's like Hurley and Kate.

I wouldn't call Benjamin Linus an F, but everything he does is to "help others" in his own words. And John Locke has far more F traits than Jack Shepherd, yet you've got the former as a T and the latter as an F. You are also failing to answer my question of whether Jack is primarily Te directed or Fe directed.

T's are certainly allowed to consider people in the course of making their decisions. Doctors do it every day. All doctors. yet there are many MANY T doctors in the world.

I don't really look at functions(i also don't really care), sorry. When i type someone, i analyze him by applying letter after letter. And then the functions usually match.

Anyway, the main concept behind F/T is how one makes decisions. That was my tool for typing each character.
Jack has shown numerous times that he mostly makes decision based on emotions and people, rather than task. When someone is in danger, he will leave everything and try to help him, not necessarily because he's a doctor, but because he wants to help. Even though he knows that inviting other people would benefit his ways, he wouldn't do that because he may put them at risk.

Locke has a lot of F traits, indeed. That's why i typed him as a borderline T. But the F traits are mainly because he's ilogical at times, with all the mysterious sutff(although it's unfair to judge him about that, that island is really special and "real world rules" do not apply there). The T traits about him are more dominant, though. He definitely makes decisions based on task, he doesn't give a damn about the others as long as he gets what he wants and he doesn't appreciate people getting in his way.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sawyer=ISTP and nobody can argue against that.

I agree that Sawyer was probably ISTP. Sawyer was an independent rebel who could always develop innovative solutions in a novel fashion with lightning precision. He also was a big gangster as well as a loner who followed no authority. And then there was the difficulty dealing with emotions that Sawyer would unleash upon the environment. This all lines up well with Ti reasoning along with Se action and Ni instinct as well as repressed Fe rage. He is very much in his natural state cool and self-contained who uses this logic for problem solving ability in a variety of settings to make things work with utilitarian improvisation.

How can Locke be an INTJ, or INTP for that matter? T types don't believe in magic nonsense... Do they? And the "don't tell me what not to do," that's P. Also he's good with physical things, he gets picked on at his work, etc.. I'd say ISFP.

Locke I would guess is INTJ. Locke had a psychic connection with the island and would follow its radiant energy to find a sense of direction. Then there was also Locke's chart-the-course style of interaction where he would lay the foundation and point the way for the people of the island. Next is how he was obsessed with having a life purpose and would take extreme measures to make a personal cosmological meaning out of things. Last is how Locke lost touch with reality in many instances and pretty much went insane. This all lines up well with Ni intuition along with Te contingency and Fi value as well as repressed Se delusion. He is very much a tenacious visionary and orients these dreams towards action to transform the world in accordance with a design that springs from the heart.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really look at functions(i also don't really care), sorry.

*shrug* Then you are going to be misled. (Unless you just care to understand MBTI as one of those silly online tests where you are asked four questions in isolation, one for each pair, and that is somehow supposed to give you a correct read on a complex human being.)

If that's the case, there's nothing more to discuss here.

Also, you are confusing "instincts" and "feelings" here. In this case, Jack would be better described by an Enneagram system which makes such a distinction between the two.

SunRider

MBTI Type
INTP
*shrug* Then you are going to be misled. (Unless you just care to understand MBTI as one of those silly online tests where you are asked four questions in isolation, one for each pair, and that is somehow supposed to give you a correct read on a complex human being.)

If that's the case, there's nothing more to discuss here.

Also, you are confusing "instincts" and "feelings" here. In this case, Jack would be better described by an Enneagram system which makes such a distinction between the two.
And let me guess, you believe that a "less silly" online test where you are asked 150-200 questions in isolation is supposed to give you a correct read on a complex human being?
If that's the case, there's nothing more to discuss pretty much anywhere, you've got it all wrong, lol.

And actually i've known MBTI for what, about 6-7 years? And i'm well aware of all the functions and understand them all. I just, as i said, don't use them to type people. I don't see what's wrong with that. Isn't a personality based on four variables? E/I, S/N, T/F and J/P? the letters come first, the functions are then derived by the letters. So basically, it'd make much more sense to type someone by examining the four variables than examining the functions.

Last edited:

Usehername

On a mission
Juliet's type is the most fascinating one to talk about, IMO. Aside from a few extensive efforts to repress pain (like Sawyer & Kate) making them come across non-archetypically, I think the rest are pretty clear archetypes (like Ben's INTJ). I definitely see [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]'s read of Juliet as INFJ, but I think Juliet is a little more complicated in terms of preferences.

In the flashbacks, Researcher Juliet is clearly Ni dom, trying to use her inner vision and perseverance to bend the external world to her internal needs and desires. But island Juliet is a more adaptive, flexy personality who starts with external data and flows in a calculated and methodical manner (rather than voodoo-y magic-it-up without being able to explain one's intuition Ni). Maybe that's just Se needing to lead due to the extrordinary circumstances that come with living on the island, but it seems to me that she's leaning more on Ti/Ne for a lot of the show.

Maybe that's what makes Juliet so captivating--she's got some makeshift Ni/Ti/Te/Ne/Se superfunction going, but to keep those functions leading she's also supressing pretty much all her feelings until they have a safe place to be burnt off from time to time. We look at her on the island and see that she's effortfully and willfully navigating her world moment to moment to get to her goal.

She's sort of an INxJ/INTP hybrid character for most of the island adventures.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I kind of have given up on MBTI as a typing mechanism, at least to the degree that people are consistently taking it. There are some general tendencies, but people are more complex and do not fit into the type definitions to a large degree. And then people are just making up reasons for why someone might not be a particular type or why they show other type tendencies. "Oh, that is their inferior function," or "Oh, it's a tertiary-primary loop" or, "Oh look their Senex is taking over," but we are just blowing smoke -- making up expanded rules to explain people who don't fit well into the main gist of the theory.

Essentially there are different lenses through which to view the world. We might start with some preferences, but eventually a person who is open and tapped into both the internal or external spheres will start to view the world in other ways, based on the needs of the moment and what works the best. We're all just trying to cope with the demands of life with the tools at our disposal.

All these type discussions seem to try to do is draw conclusions from unclear data. Why try to prove "what MBTI type" someone is ... and especially about fictional people and/or even real people we've never actually met?

We can say someone seems adept at particular function perspectives and not as favorable or weak with others, and that's about all we can say. It's like trying to draw a conclusion with not enough or ambiguous data. People -- especially maturing and complex ones -- are going to develop expertise with a range of perspectives, and not even uniformly. if it were simple, we'd all agree.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sawyer: ISTP 7w8 Sx/Sp.
John Locke: INFJ 8w9 Sx/Sp

SunRider

MBTI Type
INTP
Locke is possibly the most P person on the island. How can you think he's a J? He never plans ahead, he goes with the flow. He's open ended, whenever he makes a decision, he stops and walks to another path because the island told him so.
And about the F/T thing, well, i guess it's debatable, i see him as a weak T.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wow, hooray for folk-typology. You guys are killing it, this thread received nearly as many replies as mine.

xaviergx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Jack: ESFJ
Kate: ISFJ ? I have no idea
Sayid: INTJ
Boone: ENFP maybe I
Sawyer: ENTP just a darker one
Locke: INFJ maybe T
Claire: ENFJ
Charlie: ESFP
Shanon: EXTJ
Hurley: ESXP

Cygnus

Lost sounds like the model of a Beta-Quadra show -- combination of a "light," emotional group-dynamic atmosphere and a fast-moving, dead-serious, dark setting.

I put Jack ENFJ, Kate INFJ (as I've seen her typed elsewhere), Sawyer ESTP, not that hard.