User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aubrey/Maturin (Master and Commander) types?

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I love me some Captain Jack.

I took it to be an INTP/INFJ "relationship" in the movie. The books? Dunno! I could easily see an ESTJ captain drawing from an INTJ doctor. I'll have to read those. *adds to list*
    Pffshhfff. You think every cool dude in a movie is INFJ. Knock it off!

You'd like the books though, even the ones I can't read because there's too much ballroom dancing.

Junior Member Array

Having done a couple of lengthy coaching sessions with INTJs recently I definitely agree with Hornblower as one of these, even down to his tendency to overindulge physically when stressed (Inferior Se).

I think Stephen is probably INTP, since analysis (Ti) is much more important to him than organisation (Te). My colleague thinks INFP since his need to be true to himself gets him into so much trouble (ie duels). I can see that but if he is an INFP he's a very troubled one, who has never developed his emotional literacy in the way I experience INFPs. Even his hatred of Bonaparte seems to be driven by logic.

Jack I'm torn between ESTJ and ESTP. He is quite conservative (and indeed Conservative, when his father is a radical Whig), but his tactical genius suggests someone who lives in the here and now. I could even see ESFP since although they are F's, their desire for action can make them ham-fisted in relationships. "Ham-fisted" seems quite apt for the big man.

Any analysis of a fictional character has to be deconstructed a little - we can only see them through the lens of the author. Great authors create characters that are utterly consistent in their personalities, and in some ways easier to type because we have access to their introspective functions. I think both PO'B and CSF are brilliant at creating "real" characters, and naval fiction of the age of sail gives a tremendous stage (and a wooden quarterdeck is quite literally a stage) for these characters to play out. I only really tuned into naval fiction when the penny dropped that the subject matter is not so much bowsprits and lee shores as character and the nature of command. The late Georgian period is also a wonderful period for the setting, as it provides just the right balance of contrast and familiarity with our own age.