• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sex & the City characters

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I've been watching a lot of Sex & the City. I used to be a total hater about TV. Oh, how the righteous fall.

Anyway.

Carrie - I'm pretty sure that she's an introvert, just a pretty social one. Pretty positive that she's NF. INFJ. Sometimes she seems kind of ENFP... but never INFP and probably not ENFJ.

Miranda - INTJ, all day every day.

Charlotte - ESFJ, maybe ISFJ. Probably ESFJ.

Samantha - ESTP

Mr. Big - ISTP or INTJ. ENTJ?

Aiden - INFP

Harry Goldenblatt - ENFP?

Trey McDougall - ISTJ?

Smith Jarrod - INFJ?

Stanford - INTP

Steve - ESFP

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Carrie: Whichever type corresponds best to an Fe, Fi, Se, ... function order.:devil: (The character seems to have trouble using past experiences, logic, common sense, etc. in making personal decisions).

In actuality, I'd go with ENFJ as sticking out most likely, but any FJ seems like it could work.

Charlotte: The stereotypical SFJ, I pretty much agree with Eileen on this one (ESFJ, possibly ISFJ).

Miranda: I could see ISTJ as well for the character, since there aren't really a lot of situations to say N vs. S, though maybe someone else has a better way to tell.

Samantha: I'd go with ISTP over ESTP, just because the character seems a lot more focused and controlled in interactions with people, and seems to work from the background more often than up front, though otherwise is obviously an STP of some sort.

Smith Jerrod: He seems to be a stereotypical ISFP "arty" type of character, though there is some wiggle room on this one.

Big: Obviously some sort of T, but beyond that it gets difficult. I'll just go with the Eileen guesses if pressed, they do seem slightly more likely then other possibilities.

I have seem maybe half the total episodes of the show, so may be missing a lot of information that helps people make the decisions. I also have a lot of views on how the characters might have ended up the way they did (In terms of writing and producing the show, not in terms of back stories for the characters.)

Most of the other people on the list (McDougal, Goldenblatt, etc.), I haven't seen enough of to have a good opinion on.

heart

heart on fire
From what I have seen of Sex and the City, Big is definately ENTJ, Charlotte ISFJ, Miranda ISTJ.

Carrie is not INFJ in my opinion. INFJ would have been more astute about Aiden!

That was the point in which I quit watching the show. If the characters are going to dump decent guys and chase a-holes who cares about their troubles...lol.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Sex & the City

I've been watching a lot of Sex & the City...

Carrie - I'm pretty sure that she's an introvert, just a pretty social one. Pretty positive that she's NF. INFJ. Sometimes she seems kind of ENFP... but never INFP and probably not ENFJ.

I think she's I. She loves her friends, but she works alone and doesn't mind being alone.

Miranda - INTJ, all day every day.

Charlotte - ESFJ, maybe ISFJ. Probably ESFJ.

Samantha - ESTP.

Mr. Big - ISTP or INTJ. ENTJ? Why not ENTP?

Aiden - INFP.

Harry Goldenblatt - ENFP?

Trey McDougall - ISTJ? How about ISFJ?

Smith Jarrod - INFJ?
Samantha's boyfriend? I love him. But he seems like a P.

Stanford - INTP

Who's that?

Steve - ESFP

Jae Rae

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
From what I have seen of Sex and the City, Big is definately ENTJ, Charlotte ISFJ, Miranda ISTJ.

That was the point in which I quit watching the show. If the characters are going to dump decent guys and chase a-holes who cares about their troubles...lol.

I never liked Aiden myself. He's too earnest and not enough fun. :party2:

I think Miranda is INTJ. She seems like Carrie's closest friend, NT to Carrie's NF.

Jae Rae

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
They syndicate Sex and the City a lot. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I'm pretty sure Carrie was an ISFP- stylish (Se), fairly free-wheeling (P)- kind of had the idealizing Fi going on. (I didn't see that much Fe- more like a live and let live philosophy, compared to Charlotte, for example).

Charlotte: SFJ, leaning towards ISFJ (seemed more oriented towards tradition than Fe moralizing/empathy)

Miranda: esTJ- but I'm not fixed on the first two letters. Miranda wasn't really interested in being a upstanding citizen and implementing a plan (other than her career). So now I'm thinking inTJ?

Steve: InFP- I could be convinced on the hfirst two functions. Not all E's have to be overhwhelming, but he always seemed pretty low-key to me, but perhaps that was just how his relationship with Miranda worked.

Mr. Big: I have no idea- T for sure.
Harry Goldenblatt: ENTP

Agree:
Samantha: ESTP- ultimate STP- always out to enjoy the moment
Aiden: INFP
Trey McDougall: ISTJ
Smith Jerrod: ISFP

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Carrie: Whichever type corresponds best to an Fe, Fi, Se, ... function order.:devil: (The character seems to have trouble using past experiences, logic, common sense, etc. in making personal decisions).

In actuality, I'd go with ENFJ as sticking out most likely, but any FJ seems like it could work.

I could be convinced on ENFJ. The ENFJs I know really look like introverts sometimes. Carrie seems to have needs like an introvert sometimes (very clearly seen when Aiden moved in).

Charlotte: The stereotypical SFJ, I pretty much agree with Eileen on this one (ESFJ, possibly ISFJ).

I think she's Fe dominant, but I guess Si is possible too. I don't understand Si very well.

Miranda: I could see ISTJ as well for the character, since there aren't really a lot of situations to say N vs. S, though maybe someone else has a better way to tell.

My assessment of Miranda has to do with her stress mode, which looks quite INJ. She has a tendency towards excess... food and TV in particular. That's got to have something to do with weak sensing.

Big: Obviously some sort of T, but beyond that it gets difficult. I'll just go with the Eileen guesses if pressed, they do seem slightly more likely then other possibilities.

JaeRae asked why not ENTP. I guess ENTP is possible, but he lacks the messiness (I mean physical and psychic) that ENTPs often exude. I've also always found ENTPs to be sort of puppy-doggish and warm in their ways. Big can be that way. I don't know. My gut says ISTP.

Stanford is Carrie's gay boyfriend. He's kind of a caricature and hard to type as a result.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Harry Goldenblatt: ENTP

YES! You're right. And that's actually exactly what I mean by ENTP warmth. Harry is a great example of an ENTP based on the ones I know IRL.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I :heart: Sex in the City! Husband of course hates it and thinks I'm a goon for watching it. ;)

I've thought about their types (it's hardly an intellectual show) and have no idea but I don't see Carrie as an INFJ, although when I was young (younger than these girls) I did my fair share of clubbing. I'm from a big city, not as big as NY but still what else is there to do in the city when you're young and single but go out?

I'll go with most of Eileen's choices. :yes:

Ivy we're still going to see this movie together right? Anyone else wanna see it with us? :devil:

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ

I sort of chalk it up to the makers of the show trying to create drama situations and keep it going for as long as possible.

They do have the Carrie character do a lot of things that are clearly bad decisions from a mile away, and make these decisions in the same type of way over and over. Fortunately the rest of the show can make up for it, and I can pick and choose shows to avoid the most likely problem ones.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Here's what I think about the four girls themselves.
The show worked out that there were
2 Extraverts/2 Introverts (Carrie & Samantha/Miranda & Charlotte)
2 Sensors/2 iNtuitives (Charlotte & Samantha/Carrie & Miranda)
2 Thinkers/2 Feelers (Miranda & Samantha/ Carrie & Charlotte)
2 Judgers/ 2 Perceivers (Miranda & Charlotte/ Carrie & Samantha)

Obviously they didn't do this deliberately, lol.. just found it interesting as I was typing them.

So basically
Carrie: ENFP
Miranda: INTJ
Samantha: ESTP
Charlotte: ISFJ

Makes sense to me.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yep, that makes alot of sense.

They are pretty clear-cut representatives of those types I think.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I :heart: Sex in the City! Husband of course hates it and thinks I'm a goon for watching it. ;)

I've thought about their types (it's hardly an intellectual show) and have no idea but I don't see Carrie as an INFJ, although when I was young (younger than these girls) I did my fair share of clubbing. I'm from a big city, not as big as NY but still what else is there to do in the city when you're young and single but go out?

I'll go with most of Eileen's choices. :yes:

Ivy we're still going to see this movie together right? Anyone else wanna see it with us? :devil:

Um, sha? Duh. :D

NC Sex & the City Meetup Time!

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's what I think about the four girls themselves.
The show worked out that there were
2 Extraverts/2 Introverts (Carrie & Samantha/Miranda & Charlotte)
2 Sensors/2 iNtuitives (Charlotte & Samantha/Carrie & Miranda)
2 Thinkers/2 Feelers (Miranda & Samantha/ Carrie & Charlotte)
2 Judgers/ 2 Perceivers (Miranda & Charlotte/ Carrie & Samantha)

Obviously they didn't do this deliberately, lol.. just found it interesting as I was typing them.

So basically
Carrie: ENFP

Makes sense to me.

I agree with this although I am not sure if Charlotte is an E or I. In general I've noticed a lot of successful sitcoms revolve around four characters with very different personalities: I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, etc....

heart

heart on fire

I sort of chalk it up to the makers of the show trying to create drama situations and keep it going for as long as possible.

They do have the Carrie character do a lot of things that are clearly bad decisions from a mile away, and make these decisions in the same type of way over and over. Fortunately the rest of the show can make up for it, and I can pick and choose shows to avoid the most likely problem ones.

Good writing can create drama without stretching things so far that the suspension of disbelief is broken. :D It became shtick.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Good writing can create drama without stretching things so far that the suspension of disbelief is broken. :D It became shtick.

I know, but this seems like on case where the writers consistently goof up in the show. (Inter show politics may have a part to do with it, as Carrie seems to get sent through different types of challenges/situations as the other characters do.)

For anyone interested, here's my personal theory on how the characters ended up the way they did.

The writers start off with four big personality archetypes: Charlotte=traditional female, Samantha=the no strings sex character, Miranda=Independent career and logic person, Carrie= feelings person, perhaps meant to be the most "average" one.

The writers apparently wanted the characters to act more "feminine" though, and there's the typical need to "humanize" people, so Miranda got several story arcs thrown in to show that she does have those feeling associated qualities, while Carrie and Charlotte were given more story arcs to fit emotional stereotypes. This also adds some drama to the Miranda story arcs of having to face up to and use weaker parts of her personality.

Since the show is called "Sex and the City", and has all the other characters having lots of sex with different people, Charlotte ended up having to have the traditional views on sex reduced a bit, and again lots of drama/fun on the show comes from throwing her into situations where the "fariry-tale romance" ideas she has don't work (as well as other plans she has for herself along those lines). Charlotte also seemed to be written with a more flexible lifestyle outside relationships as the show went on, possibly related to how the character needed ot get more flexible with relationships and sex.

Samantha's views on sex and relationships pretty easily set up interesting situations to throw her into.

It is less obvious, though, how interesting situations could be set up for handling Carrie's personality, and the writers seemed to fall back often on using the same sort of relationship issues over and over again, and did not think of a way to have the character grow and learn while still having interesting situations.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
They are making a second movie... Don't know how I feel about that yet.

Big: ENTJ
Carrie: I feel like she is the most difficult one. Why does everyone see NF for her? Out of all of the NFs I would probably have to say ENFJ but she also reminds me of an ISFP I know so I am a bit perplexed. I do not think any of the other NF types could fit her other than ENFJ.
Aiden: ISFP

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'd say Carrie is an ISFP!!

She doesn't strike me as a J at all, she's always relaxed, coming late everywhere, and I think she shows Se and Fi alot.

Samantha: ESTJ
Charlotte: ESFJ

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Carrie analyzes too much too be an SP. Her writing is trying to see every angle to relationships, deconstructs them to understand them, and makes unrelated connections through metaphor to explain them. All of that says intuitive to me. NFs can be artists and love offbeat beauty, so that explains the fashion. So I think eNFP. I think she is an extrovert, just a low one. I agree that she shows clear signs of Fi.

I think Miranda is ISTJ, not INTJ. ISTJ women seem to have that conflict of wanting to be traditional, but being thinking women, not fitting the traditional woman's role very well and then resenting it. Miranda seems to have that struggle.