• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm confused: Is Spike Spigel ISTP or ESTP?

Illmatic

I've read he's an ESTP and being Cowboy Bebop my fave anime, he seems like an extrovert to me as he always talks and he even generates and starts convos. Will someone please tell me why he's an I?

KDude

Mostly ISTP, I think. I can see what you're confused about, but the main thing that stands out is that he's too lackadaisical to be ESTP. Faye is the ESTP. You can see her Fe, in her teasing at least. She tries charming people with it and could easily play to a group. She easily gets bored and tries pushing things, while he only does jobs that are exciting. He doesn't even care if they pay him well. Otherwise, he just sits on the couch.

Anyways..Initiating conversation isn't necessarily a type related thing. It's not like he has to be shy, just because he's Introverted.

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
ISTP!

I love you for asking this question! :heart:

His love of danger and flying and stuff is stereotypical ISTP shizz.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why does Spike seem extroverted, I just don't get it, someone from another forum was arguing the same thing, could it be the same person?
Shy does not equal introvert(wow, he talks to people, he's an extrovert), I mean it's like the creator of Spike was reading a ISTP description when making his personality.

ESTP for Spike is really bad, he believes life is just a dream for goodness sake(the reality we see is an illusion, we can't always rely on our senses) , that is the opposite of someone with dominant Se, but it is very Ni, which plays an important role in ISTPs. I think it could provide a deeper, more holistic meaning for them. Some people think Spike is a INTP because of this philosophy but is really Ti+Ni based.

I explained this on the other forum about Spike's type:

I know this might be overkill, but I was thinking about Spike's life philosophy and Ni has a very strong influence on Spike. His whole "life is just a dream" is definitive Ni because it says what your senses tell you is just an illusion, there is a far deeper meaning behind the surface physical world, this eliminates ESTP right off the bat. Dominant Se accepts what you can see, touch, taste, smell as reality, there is no need to speculate about some hidden meaning.

ISTPs have tertairy Ni and I think it often plays an important role in bringing deeper abstract meaning to their lifes, Spike's characterisitic aloofness is very Ti and Ni based. Se plays a more supportive role for Spike, he is very smooth and very aware, he trusts his instincts in many situations, but it all SERVES his dominant Ti, he is very selective about which missions he wants to do, that would challenge his tactical abilities. Spike is DEFINED by his own internal principles(Ji), not some external standard(Je) or perception(Pe), this kind of makes him both very nonchalant, careless and stubborn. Also while Spike has moments of being active(going after bounties), he is mostly laid-back, quiet, and a detached orbserver occasionally making sarcastic comments(mostly about Faye), he definitely fits the IP temperament(individualist).

IPs usually alternate between longer periods of inactive, quiet reflection and shorter periods of spontaneous action, who does this sound like? ISTPs are known for this especially, one moment they can seem so apathetic and lazy, the next they quickly move to action, often implusively and without warning. The Ti Se Ni combo is very interesting indeed.

R

Riva

Why does Spike seem extroverted, I just don't get it, someone from another forum was arguing the same thing, could it be the same person?
Shy does not equal introvert(wow, he talks to people, he's an extrovert), I mean it's like the creator of Spike was reading a ISTP description when making his personality.

ESTP for Spike is really bad, he believes life is just a dream for goodness sake(the reality we see is an illusion, we can't always rely on our senses) , that is the opposite of someone with dominant Se, but it is very Ni, which plays an important role in ISTPs. I think it could provide a deeper, more holistic meaning for them. Some people think Spike is a INTP because of this philosophy but is really Ti+Ni based.

I explained this on the other forum about Spike's type:

I know this might be overkill, but I was thinking about Spike's life philosophy and Ni has a very strong influence on Spike. His whole "life is just a dream" is definitive Ni because it says what your senses tell you is just an illusion, there is a far deeper meaning behind the surface physical world, this eliminates ESTP right off the bat. Dominant Se accepts what you can see, touch, taste, smell as reality, there is no need to speculate about some hidden meaning.

ISTPs have tertairy Ni and I think it often plays an important role in bringing deeper abstract meaning to their lifes, Spike's characterisitic aloofness is very Ti and Ni based. Se plays a more supportive role for Spike, he is very smooth and very aware, he trusts his instincts in many situations, but it all SERVES his dominant Ti, he is very selective about which missions he wants to do, that would challenge his tactical abilities. Spike is DEFINED by his own internal principles(Ji), not some external standard(Je) or perception(Pe), this kind of makes him both very nonchalant, careless and stubborn. Also while Spike has moments of being active(going after bounties), he is mostly laid-back, quiet, and a detached orbserver occasionally making sarcastic comments(mostly about Faye), he definitely fits the IP temperament(individualist).

IPs usually alternate between longer periods of inactive, quiet reflection and shorter periods of spontaneous action, who does this sound like? ISTPs are known for this especially, one moment they can seem so apathetic and lazy, the next they quickly move to action, often implusively and without warning. The Ti Se Ni combo is very interesting indeed.

+1

Ah this is well written.

Also the two characters Faye and Spike could be used to understand the differences between ESTPs and ISTPs. It's textbook material for people to learn :).

Anyone knows what his Enneagram and Instinctual variants is?