• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type are hipsters?

Lightyear

What would be the type of a stereotypical hipster? (Here is a definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(contemporary_subculture) and another interesting article about hipster achievements: http://flavorwire.com/157024/10-great-cultural-contributions-by-hipsters)

I would go with ISFP. "I must be unique, express myself and save the world" Fi mixed with "Look, isn't that pretty!" Se. :newwink:

Even if hipsters are sometimes ridiculous I like the idea of one of the biggest vibes in contemporary culture being ISFP.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
most of the hipsters i can think of are FP's

xisnotx

Permabanned
Doesn't the very basis of that ideology reject such external measures of judgement? I'm guessing most hipsters would argue that they as a person could be any type..are all types..aren't any of the types..and they currently choose to be the type that they currently are...and could very well wake up tomorrow and decide to be a different type.

Having said that..
infp.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Too many hipsters around here. Makes me wonder how they're showing their individuality when they're everywhere and all look the same.

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Too many hipsters around here. Makes me wonder how they're showing their individuality when they're everywhere and all look the same.

Maybe they're doing it to be "ironic"...

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

They accessorize differently, duh.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FJs who wish they were FPs. 4s, 6s and 9s.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFPs...I was a 'hipster' in middle school...when it was still original haha

I think that the xSFPs are just TRYING to look deviant, and aren't the ones who are truly original (just a general statement).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
FJs who wish they were FPs. 4s, 6s and 9s.

lol...I do think FJs are included in it...I think hipsters are most likely to be commonly sensing feelers....but I also think NFJs are a huge possibility for a particular breed of hipster, not all NFJs, just the kind who say things like "I'm above that" and "I'm too big picture for that."

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am starting to see a trend with 'F' and hipster.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
INFPs...I was a 'hipster' in middle school...when it was still original haha

I think that the xSFPs are just TRYING to look deviant, and aren't the ones who are truly original (just a general statement).

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure you've heard dumber.

Care to back up your statement?

[Add]: actually, I take back part of that statement. Based on the hipsters I know, they are all incredibly fake. N or not.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm sure you've heard dumber.

Care to back up your statement?

You're right. I have heard dumber. But that was pretty dumb. Why would the "original" hipsters (whoever the hell they were) be any different than the bandwagon hipsters when it comes to wanting to look different? Isn't that the whole point? And even if the motivations of the first hipsters were different than the bandwagonners, why would that be related to type? I'm sure there are a variety of types who claim (and have claimed in times past) to be hipsters. Why on Earth, as you suggest, would INFPs have been original hipsters, and ISFPs the follow-up, bandwagon hipsters (except, as I assume you're doing, to suggest that the ISFPs are more shallow)?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sorry, let me clarify:

I think people who are hipsters want to look like INFPs, or maybe ISFPs as well.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm sorry, let me clarify:

I think people who are hipsters want to look like INFPs, or maybe ISFPs as well.

You're one step closer to making the necessary distinction. Mou ichido onegaishimasu.