• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type are hipsters?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Er...what is the final step?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hipster kitty just seems obnoxious, elitist, immature INFJ to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

how-many-hipsters-lightbulb.jpg

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Er...what is the final step?

You've gone from hipsters as discrete individuals being INFP or ISFP, to individual hipsters wanting to imitate INFPs or ISFPs. The final step is to lose any reference to individual hipsters and just say that the culture of hipsterism embodies values or motivations that align with the stereotype of INFPs or ISFPs.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"the culture of hipsterism embodies values or motivations that align with the stereotype of INFPs or ISFPs."

Okay, there we go.

:shrug:

I type without thinking a lot. Obviously.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
"the culture of hipsterism embodies values or motivations that align with the stereotype of INFPs or ISFPs."

Okay, there we go.

:cheers:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Okay, there we go.

The emphasis on irony and "meta" seems N-ish to me. Wanting to belong to an elitist clique doesn't necessarily scream IxFP to me, though. Especially not INFP...though I suppose your original point was that hipsters were these individualists who thought "nobody understood them" and their interests, amirite?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I would think that hipsterism is more of an enneagram 4 thing (NOT that hipsters as discrete individuals are all 4) above all else. The whole thing is basically about investing one's identity in one's taste.

KDude

The whole thing is basically about investing one's identity in one's taste.

I want to be a "could give less of a shit" 5 or 9. :\ I think my image choices are accidental anyways. Like I had this ugly blue truck once that people thought was "artsy". It wasn't that at all. I just got it painted by a bunch of highschool kids, who, unfortunately, had the worst shade of blue ever. I was too lazy to fix it.

"I'm bored of looking good." This is the most hip song I've ever heard.. which, oddly, I first saw in a commercial.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P09rxVaQAM]/[/youtube]

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, and investing identity in one's own taste was behind the whole "alternative" scene in the 90's - also 4, then, seemingly more INFP, though...less flashy, more just sloppy and natural and unique, with little hints of nostalgia.

Less focus on "image" per se, in the alternative scene (though there was some image, of course, and fashion, duh), hipsters seem a bit more flashy, and the Pabst Blue Ribbon thing is just weirdly conformist and seems Fe to me...alot of things about hipsters seem Fe/Ti to me, they also seem strangely politically correct, I really think NFJs are behind it, and maybe SFx love it to for other reasons.

Alternative was 4w5. Hipster is 4w3.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The hipsters I know (and have known) are:
- INFJ
- INFP
- ESFP
- ISFJ

The ISFJ was mostly just trying to fit in, in a big group of hipster xxFPs. The others have all the qualities of hipsters - be they ironic or humorless or both.

And though I'm not totally certain, all of the hipsters I know seem like 4s.