• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

King of Kong -- Gaming Is the Realm of INTJs?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Anyone see this movie?

King of Kong: And a Fisful of Dollars

I thought this movie was fascinating!

The realm of the old school games -- generally people characterize adults who are still into them as geeks and losers. But the main characters of the documentary are well-adjusted and even successful men by society's standards.

What do you think the types of the main rivals Steve and Billy are?

Billy describes himself as 'a Jedi'. He's very competitive and likes to be in charge and is an entrepeneur. His manner is overly formal and not very emotive. He's described as always having a plan and I think one of his acquaintances calls him 'devious'? He makes a good bad guy! I think he's INTJ?

Steve is like a boy scout -- he also looks surprisingly boyish -- INFJ?
Or maybe he is also INTJ but just had different life events rob him of his confidence and bite? He cares a lot about meeting others expectations and *SPOILER* he actually started crying at one point when he thought he had "lost" It's so sad, the tears are so genuine from some kind of pain you just want to give him a big hug. Even though he is obsessive and exacting, there is a really soft energy and manner to him.

The head referee and founder of Twin Galaxies I thought was INTP? Only because he says he doesn't like details and keeping track of the organization and is really 'musician' acting as a referee for the sake of other people.

I also suspect both may be somewhere on the autistic spectrum.

This is my favorite movie I've seen this year btw.

Has anyone else seen this film? I think 'The Soup' was making fun of Billy for being an out of touch geek with illusions of grandeur.

The filmmakers did a really good job of just showing what was going on and not making it obvious if they were manipulating the view -- i.e. not overly mocking anyone or retro gaming.

They both look really young for their age.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Based on the clip I've determined that I now have to see this movie. lol

I think I've read somewhere that ENTP's tend to be the type most drawn toward games in general, but from personal experience once I've felt that I've sufficiently mastered a game I move on to another one. I could see an INTJ sticking with a game a lot longer after most people have moved on, but I see this even more in line with how an ISTJ is. I think it depends on the nostalgia value. I had an ISTJ friend that created his own classic arcade system in his basement. I don't know any INTJ's that would do something like that. I guess I'll just have to see the movie. :)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Great movie!

If I'm any example, gaming is not an INTJ habit. I rarely play video games, and when I do I'm usually playing Madden football, not the more fanciful ones. I do enjoy some of the more analytical computer games like SimCity though.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remember reading that INTPs, INTJs, ISTPs, and ENTPs were the most overrepresented in playing video games in their spare time.

I tend to like video games for the interactive storyline, but I get really violent and am compelled to throw things around or scream at the monitor when I lose in a level.

I don't think gaming is an INTJ habit, per say, but I think an INTJ gamer's likely degree of obsession is quite high.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think gaming is an INTJ habit, per say, but I think an INTJ gamer's likely degree of obsession is quite high.

Agreed. I will frequently become obsessed with a subject or activity for a few weeks or months at a time and then never bother with it again.

augmented

MBTI Type
ENTP
i think ENTPs would be the game masters. i'm not sure about INTJ's obsession level - for me i get more obsessed with games than anyone i know. i'm always the most into it and the most addicted to any game i play with my friends, starting with N64 to magic to poker to scrabble.

definitely with something like scrabble it's a Ne-Ti skill. i'd be curious to see what the majority of poker pros type as though...i think theres a lot to be said for each function in determining proficiency at that one.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't get "Es" being into games. I mean, aren't they the ones most likely to want to be "out there" in the hubub? Seems more of an "I" activity. I'm an RPGer and use them for relaxation.. escape. I think I get whatever "social" needs I have met with them in fact... so story and character development are critical.

augmented

MBTI Type
ENTP
yeah i see what you mean. i'm pretty modestly E and i thought i was an introvert up until about a month ago; one of the reasons i thought that was that i'm so into games. but, games are pretty good fodder for extraverted intuition in general, a pretty worthy substitute for people, and almost infinitely interesting and engaging in that respect, and the whole experience is even better when you're doing it socially i guess.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't get "Es" being into games. I mean, aren't they the ones most likely to want to be "out there" in the hubub? Seems more of an "I" activity. I'm an RPGer and use them for relaxation.. escape. I think I get whatever "social" needs I have met with them in fact... so story and character development are critical.

Most games are social activities. I don't mean just video games either, but games in general. That makes them more likely to attract E's. I can see single player games being more appealing to I's in general, but speaking from personal experience I've never met an introvert that loved games as much as I do. I have on the other hand met introverts that were much more obsessed with a single game than I could ever be, but given the opportunity I'd play games at least as often as the most obsessed introvert. I'd just vary what the game is after a while.

In short ENTP's love games in general, but introverts are more likely to pick one game to become obsessed with.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Most games are social activities. I don't mean just video games either, but games in general. That makes them more likely to attract E's. I can see single player games being more appealing to I's in general, but speaking from personal experience I've never met an introvert that loved games as much as I do. I have on the other hand met introverts that were much more obsessed with a single game than I could ever be, but given the opportunity I'd play games at least as often as the most obsessed introvert. I'd just vary what the game is after a while.

In short ENTP's love games in general, but introverts are more likely to pick one game to become obsessed with.

I see your point as I get "social" needs met through them as I said. I didn't think about it that way with "Es". But I can't agree with the getting into one game as an "I" myself. I started with PC games like Ultima (when it started) and adventures like Myst... then went on the Playstation and RPGs. That's, admittedly, alota years but between the two, I have around 200/250plus tons of other kinds of PC games and frequent Giveawayoftheday which I'm not even counting. I do understand getting obsessed though as some rpg's can be very engrossing.... if they're good, they're supposed to be so.