• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

criminals

jnick1972

Hi, I'm new here and I can't quite figure out where to put this question, but I'll try it here.

I am curious to know if there seems to be any correlation between types of crimes committed and the MBTI types of the perptrators. I know that not all killers or burglars or vandals, for example, will all be of the same type as others who commit the same crime, but I wonder if there are certain crimes that are more often committed by certain types, or certain types that are more likely to commit certain crimes.

I'm especially curious to know what type some serial killers are--Ted Bundy, for example, or any others whose types may be known/reasonably guessed. But I'd like info regarding the relationship (if there is any) between any type of crime and MBTI type.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was actually watching A&E Biography on YouTube about the following serial killers/mass murders just the other day, and here are my estimated guesses:

Ted Bundy: ENTP
John Wayne Gacy: ENFJ
Jeffrey Dahmer: ESTP
Ed Gein: INFP
Charles Manson: ENFP

Last edited:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Hi, I'm new here and I can't quite figure out where to put this question, but I'll try it here.

I am curious to know if there seems to be any correlation between types of crimes committed and the MBTI types of the perptrators. I know that not all killers or burglars or vandals, for example, will all be of the same type as others who commit the same crime, but I wonder if there are certain crimes that are more often committed by certain types, or certain types that are more likely to commit certain crimes.

I'm especially curious to know what type some serial killers are--Ted Bundy, for example, or any others whose types may be known/reasonably guessed. But I'd like info regarding the relationship (if there is any) between any type of crime and MBTI type.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Something to add to the mix.. a serial killer is probably psychologically very unhealthy, right? So.. "normal" doesn't apply. Secondly, if they are unhealthy they may well be overwhelmed by the shadow... so the crimes may be committed in a way that reflects the opposite to their "top level" type.

deep rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
My father has been a criminal for most of his life. He's an INFP. He's extremely soft-spoken, sensitive, quiet, and gentle. He was born into a difficult life, and he does what he does because of revenge. "Me against the world" kind of thing. As immature as it is, he's not a bad person, just a lost soul.

Criminals are judged, so much, not because of the clothes they wear or what race you are, but because of what they do immediately giving off the notion that they're bad people, selfish and don't care about anyone else. Many criminals are actually nice people deep underneath, they are just misguided and lost and can't find any other way but to do what they do. They're still a child inside, crying for help. It's the same with bullies at school. They pick on others so the bully can feel powerful to hide their insecurities away.

I think when people think of criminals, they usually think of T types.
You'd be surprised...

Criminals aren't bad people, they're just ill.

Last edited:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Was just thinking about this topic today and wanted to make a thread. Cool.

Criminals aren't bad people, they're just ill.

How are you defining "bad." If you're hurting or cheating someone else, you're a bad person, regardless of if you still have an "innocent child deep inside."

deep rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
How are you defining "bad." If you're hurting or cheating someone else, you're a bad person, regardless of if you still have an "innocent child deep inside."

I'm not talking about criminals being an "innocent child deep inside".
I don't believe bad people exist, they're just sick.

Last edited:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6

Well then how do you define bad? Some people are fulfilled by the pain and suffering of others. You call it sick, I call it sick and bad.

tomato/tamahto

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Stimulus: Response

Think of it like a biological transaction.

Criminality isn't always for the sick. Desperation can reduce sensitivity to higher ethical obligation.

Certainly certain crimes are far worse than others and transient external negativity isn't always to blame.

Yet, for the lesser "evils", context can often add clarity to motivation.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ

p.s. About what my dad exactly does, I'm keeping it personal.

Sorry... you're wrong. Even "sick" people can know what they're doing is "wrong" and choose it anyway... that's called "bad."

deep rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Sick as in ill.

I define bad as a person committing acts that are wrong. It's the things they do that are bad. It's not the person that's bad, they are just sick.

I'm not here to argue, and I'm not 'wrong' - this is just my own opinion.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Sick as in ill.

I define bad as a person committing acts that wrong. It's the things they do that are bad. It's not the person that's bad, they are just sick.

I'm not here to argue - this is just my own opinion.
Alright, well you're entitled to your own opinion.

Welcome to MBTI, by the way. :hi:

redacted

i agree with deep rain. i don't think there's such a thing as a bad person. there are only bad acts.

deep rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Note my sig.

No matter how long and how many times a person does what they do (in this case, "bad acts"), they will find their redemption and self-forgiveness at their own time eventually, as difficult as it may be and how much time it may take, but once they can start finding their rightful path of inner peace and forgiveness, they are no more what they repeatedly do.

Last edited:

redacted

Note my sig.

i'm not saying your viewpoint is wrong, or logically flawed. i just start from different assumptions.

and i don't like everyone, either. i just don't think anyone is a "bad" person; i have no respect for a lot of people, though.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Thanks for the respects everyone. Whether we agree or not, I appreciate our respects for each other.

No matter how long and how many times a person does what they do (in this case, "bad acts"), they will find their redemption and self-forgiveness at their own time eventually, as difficult as it may be and how much time it may take, but once they can start finding their rightful path of inner peace and forgiveness, they are no more what they repeatedly do.

No.. then they're a peaceful, forgiving, person.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
i'm not saying your viewpoint is wrong, or logically flawed. i just start from different assumptions.

and i don't like everyone, either. i just don't think anyone is a "bad" person; i have no respect for a lot of people, though.

The difference being the spiritual viewpoint vs the mundane one. I agree in the goodness of all spiritually but we live in a mundane world... that's the yardstick. I really don't ascribe, although I once did, to the idea that a serial killer is a good person doing bad things... and, really, what's the point? The law is going to deal with that person the same way no matter how "good" they are. Should they be let off because they're really a "good" person?

deep rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
The bad acts that are committed, I believe they do need to pay for it or get some kind of punishment. They still committed wrongful acts which hurt others, and they cannot get away with that. There must be justice for it.

I still don't believe there are such thing as bad people, but it was their decision for committing wrongful acts and that does not get them excused - it was their choice to do what they did, and they need to be justified for it.

Even though I don't believe in bad people, they still have the choice to do right or wrong things, and doing wrong things will not get them excused. As "sick" as they are, though not "bad", your ACTS are still your choices and become your responsibility.

I believe everyone is a good soul deep inside. Many just become misguided, but I believe every one of these people can still find the light, first by fully consciously realizing what they're doing, then start their journey to self-forgiveness and redemption. They don't become good people after that, they'll just get well again.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
The bad acts that are committed, I believe they do need to pay for it or get some kind of punishment. They still committed wrongful acts which hurt others, and they cannot get away with that. There must be justice for it.

I still don't believe there are such thing as bad people, but it was their decision for committing wrongful acts and that does not get them excused - it was their choice to do what they did, and they need to be justified for it.

Even though I don't believe in bad people, they still have the choice to do right or wrong things, and doing wrong things will not get them excused. As "sick" as they are, though not "bad", your ACTS are still your choices and become your responsibility.

I believe everyone is a good soul deep inside. Many just become misguided and sick, but I believe every one of these people can still find the light, first fully consciously realizing what they're doing, then start their journey to self-forgiveness and redemption. They don't become "good" people after that, they'll just get well again.

Soul indicates spirit... supernatural and differs from the person.... natural.

The Indians have a saying... All are born with a conscience and it is like a metal, square, wheel inside the chest that turns each time we do a "wrong" act. As it turns there is painful cutting of the chest, if tolerated and ignored, it turns more and more until the corners wear down and there is no more pain.

The point? The person, not the spirit they have become disconnected from for guidance since not all believe in that as a matter of faith, chooses to ignore the pain of what is natural and mundane... the conscience, until they no longer experience what they were born with. That's what they are. That's what they have made of themselves with their choices. What are any of us if not our choices? Remember, not all accept the spiritual. I think it does make spiritual people feel better thinking mundane people are "good"... probably comes from "thou shalt not judge" but judgement, in the biblical sense, is about damnation.... not opinion. No one is right in presuming to judge a person committing bad acts is damned to hell. I suspect they won't be because that is about the spiritual again and we don't know.

deep rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
The point? The person, not the spirit they have become disconnected from for guidance since not all believe in that as a matter of faith, chooses to ignore the pain of what is natural and mundane... the conscience, until they no longer experience what they were born with. Remember, not all accept the spiritual. I think it does make spiritual people feel better thinking mundane people are "good"... probably comes from "thou shalt not judge" but judgement, in the biblical sense, is about damnation.... not opinion. No one is right in presuming to judge a person committing bad acts is damned to hell. I suspect they won't be because that is about the spiritual again and we don't know.

Whether you or I believe this matter in spiritual terms, that's an opinion.

No matter the continuous acts a person commits, people will start believing that that is what makes them who they are. But everyone still has their choices to do good things. So if a criminal stops their behavior and starts to live a good life and help others, they're no longer the "bad" person. Their past is not completely fished out, and the bad things they did in the past are still in their past and still will affect them today, but that won't "make" them who they are anymore.

I don't believe (again, my own opinion) your choices necessarily make you who are. You yourself is one whole being inside, and on the outside are the choices that you make. On the inside, we, are capable of becoming misguided, lost, and sick. Which leads to the bad decisions you make on the outside. But on the inside, you aren't your choices, you are your wholesome being, that I believe everyone is originally "good". I don't believe you can become a "bad" person, you just become lost. Which affects the decisions you make on the outside that are wrong.