• INFJ

3 23.08%
  • Other

4 30.77%
123 Last

MBTI
    ERTP

Default Jefferson: INFJ or INTP?

Having read a lot of Jefferson's papers, he strikes me as a Ti-user and an introvert for sure. Yet he is also very polite, even agreeable. Could Jefferson be an INFJ?

Edit: For example, Jefferson took scripture so seriously that God could not have created species and then let them die that he thought that there might be live wholly mammoths in the Western USA (which in part was why he financed lewis and clark).
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is a difficult determination to make.

I really admire Jefferson in many respects... though I think he was a little bit constrained by the conventions of his time. I think he was more likely to be an INTP, because his ideas were very influenced by the Enlightenment tradition, and were rarely the result of his own imagination. He also tended to stick rather rigidly to certain principles, rather than always focusing on the big picture. He was a brilliant man, but his skill was more T than N. I am certain he was an N, though. Just not N dominant.

The issues I have with his thinking, are usually the same issues I have with an INTP's thinking... it makes sense and I generally agree with it, but it isn't forward-looking enough. Too rooted in the local circumstances at times, not totally global in perspective.

I consider his ideas evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Either ISTJ or ESTJ.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ERTP

Uhh? How so? Never seen him typed that way before.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Either ISTJ or ESTJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Uhh? How so? Never seen him typed that way before.
    Let me guess...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Definite Ni-Dom. I would say INTJ though INFJ is possible.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    Let me guess...
    Hah! No, actually. I don't usually face-type when I'm dealing with early historical figures because their portraits are often too varied to be of help.

I typed him that way because his thought is fundamentally pragmatic/practical in nature, and he was known for being a work-horse and lover of details. When he was a student, for example, he kept a ridiculously rigorous reading schedule for himself; it literally filled up the entirety of his day and covered several categories of subjects. He was known for his great methodical industry (which is why he was able to learn so much shit so quickly. He was very self-disciplined.) Hell, he's even listed on a lot of those "feel better about having OCD"-type sites as a great person who had OCD.

For that matter, why are INTP and INFJ the original guesses? Let me guess, is it because he was a really smart guy? :rolli:

It's pretty interesting to me that his face (at least as it's portrayed here) lined up so well with my opinion, though.

MBTI
    ERTP

INFJ/INTP because he was an introverted Ti-user.

"In France, John Baptist Say has the merit of producing a very superior work on the subject of Political Economy. His arrangement is luminous, ideas clear, style perspicuous, and the whole subject brought within half the volume of [Adam] Smith's work. Add to this considerable advances in correctness and extension of principles."

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Milligan, April 6, 1816

Sounds pretty Ti to me.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    INFJ/INTP because he was an introverted Ti-user.

"In France, John Baptist Say has the merit of producing a very superior work on the subject of Political Economy. His arrangement is luminous, ideas clear, style perspicuous, and the whole subject brought within half the volume of [Adam] Smith's work. Add to this considerable advances in correctness and extension of principles."

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Milligan, April 6, 1816

Sounds pretty Ti to me.
    How does that sound Ti to you? Because he mentioned the words "correctness" and "principles?" All he's doing in this passage is telling somebody something about something else, like a review. He's not even reasoning.

MBTI
    ERTP

Ti = Isolate the principle, honour the principle, let all else follow by itself
    Te = Sum up the concrete situaion, assign a specific course of action

Jefferson talks about "considerable advances in ... extension of principles". I don't know a single Te-user who finds "considerable advances in extension of principles" sexy in and of itself. In my experience they do enjoy complex theoretical notions, yet once they have a basic grasp of the situation, they prefer to switch to executive mode: How does this apply to the situation at hand, and what needs to be done. (As extrovert functions must apply themselves to the outher environment.)

You can of course argue, that Jefferson is merely reviewing a book, which he is. I think its good to have your perspective present in this thread, though I personally see no STJ-ness what so ever. But maybe you can point it out to me:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Jefferson