4 30.77%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Try this on for size. Would an INTP really give a shit about any of this? This is STJ micro-management at its very worst.

I do not wish you to be gayly clothed this time of life, but that what you wear should be fine of its kind; but above all things, at at all times let your clothes be clean, whole, and properly put on. You will be the last who will be sensible of this. Some ladies think they may under the privileges of the dishabille be loose and negligent of their dress in the morning. But be you from the moment you rise till you go to bed as cleanly and properly dressed as at the hours of dinner or tea. A lady who has been seen as a sloven or slut in the morning will never efface the impression she then made with all the dress and pageantry she can afterwards involve herself in. Nothing is so disgusting to our sex as a want of cleanliness and delicacy in yours. I hope therefore the moment you rise from bed, your first work will be to dress yourself in such a stile as that you may be seen by any gentleman without his being able to discover a pin amiss, or by any other circumstance of neatness wanting.
    This was a letter to his daughter Patsy.

Here's some stuff from another letter (written when he was younger) that he sent to a friend who'd asked him for advice on what he should read during his legal studies.

Before 8 a.m., "Employ yourself in physical studies, Ethics, Religion, natural and sectarian, and natural law." From 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., he suggested reading in law, and from 12 to 1, politics. Then the afternoon would cover history, and "From dark to Bed-time," belles-lettres, criticism, rhetoric, and oratory. (Taken from pp. 63 of "Thomas Jefferson: an intimate history by Fawn McKay Brodie.)

This stuff shows that he was a fastidious, methodical, detail-whore. Do those traits not strike you more as STJ than NTP? (I am discounting INFJ because I REALLY do not think he was an F of any sort.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Try this on for size. Would an INTP really give a shit about any of this? This is STJ micro-management at its very worst.

This was a letter to his daughter Patsy.

Here's some stuff from another letter (written when he was younger) that he sent to a friend who'd asked him for advice on what he should read during his legal studies.

Before 8 a.m., "Employ yourself in physical studies, Ethics, Religion, natural and sectarian, and natural law." From 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., he suggested reading in law, and from 12 to 1, politics. Then the afternoon would cover history, and "From dark to Bed-time," belles-lettres, criticism, rhetoric, and oratory. (Taken from pp. 63 of "Thomas Jefferson: an intimate history by Fawn McKay Brodie.)

This stuff shows that he was a fastidious, methodical, detail-whore. Do those traits not strike you more as STJ than NTP? (I am discounting INFJ because I REALLY do not think he was an F of any sort.)
    The second letter sounds like Te to me. The first one sounds like Fe. Given his constant inventing, tinkering, and pioneering nature, I would imagine he is more likely an intuitive than a sensor. I've done some research on this in the past and read a couple of his biographies. I have a picture of him on the wall in my office because I'm a bit of a Jefferson fan. Every reference I've seen in the past has been INXJ.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    The second letter sounds like Te to me. The first one sounds like Fe. Given his constant inventing, tinkering, and pioneering nature, I would imagine he is more likely an intuitive than a sensor. I've done some research on this in the past and read a couple of his biographies. I have a picture of him on the wall in my office because I'm a bit of a Jefferson fan. Every reference I've seen in the past has been INXJ.
    The second letter sounds like TeSi to me, because he was basically repeating to his friend what he'd devised as his own program of reading when he was studying law. I'm not sure how the first one sounds Fe, though. It's blunt, directive, and dealing with the minutiae of his daughter's dress, which again seems like TeSi. Also, I don't think his "inventing, tinkering, and pioneering nature" excludes him from being STJ. A lot of his stuff was simply improvement on old designs (not to diminish his accomplishments, don't get me wrong), and they were ALWAYS practical, "down-to-Earth" things. Or are you really saying that STJs, even if they're smart, would most likely not invent new things?

Also, what do you mean by "every reference I've seen in the past has been INXJ?" Do you mean that you've only ever heard him called an INXJ (on forums and MBTI-related sites)? If so, I'd like to point out that...who cares?

If I were to ever call him an N, I'd say he was an INTJ. Never an INFJ or INTP.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    The second letter sounds like TeSi to me, because he was basically repeating to his friend what he'd devised as his own program of reading when he was studying law. I'm not sure how the first one sounds Fe, though. It's blunt, directive, and dealing with the minutiae of his daughter's dress, which again seems like TeSi. Also, I don't think his "inventing, tinkering, and pioneering nature" excludes him from being STJ. A lot of his stuff was simply improvement on old designs (not to diminish his accomplishments, don't get me wrong), and they were ALWAYS practical, "down-to-Earth" things. Or are you really saying that STJs, even if they're smart, would most likely not invent new things?

Also, what do you mean by "every reference I've seen in the past has been INXJ?" Do you mean that you've only ever heard him called an INXJ (on forums and MBTI-related sites)? If so, I'd like to point out that...who cares?

If I were to ever call him an N, I'd say he was an INTJ. Never an INFJ or INTP.
    Maybe I should taper back my perspective on him being an Ni-dom.

- He was a bookworm with great curiosity about things like economics, architecture, mathematics, philosophy, astronomy, science and technology
    - He held several patents related to things he invented like the pedometer, swivel chair and lazy Susan
    - He designed his own home and was tinkering with it through his entire life - something or other was constantly under construction
    - His style seemed to be more informing than directive
    - He liked to communicate about ideas, principles, and concepts

I don't think that sounds like an SJ or FJ. He very much sounds like an NT. He was an introvert.

So, that leaves INTP or INTJ. Those quotes above look like Te as you said. However, as I think about it, INTP is quite possible because of the diversity of his interests. An INTJ would perhaps be more single minded or focused. Then there is the informing vs. directing style.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

http://www.monticello.org/site/resea...nner-etiquette

Jefferson hated the rules of formality and etiquette and would not allow them at his dinner parties, something that really isn't very SJ-like.

"By never mixing Federalists and Republicans at his table Jefferson evidently hoped to maintain the social harmony he so prized."

Are we going to acknowledge some of the aspects of Extroverted Feeling that Jefferson seems to portray, or do I have to italicize?

MBTI
    ERTP

Indeed, Torai

I remain torn between INFJ and INTP
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    TITS
    Enneagram
    7w8

ISTJ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by GetOffMyBiscuits View Post
    ISTJ
    Not likely. I don't think ISTJs would go against conventional rules of etiquette for social harmony.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

INFJ. Why? Because he protected us against evil ExTJs with his epic visions and sense of ethics very like INFJ.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Having read a lot of Jefferson's papers, he strikes me as a Ti-user and an introvert for sure. Yet he is also very polite, even agreeable. Could Jefferson be an INFJ?
    Edit: For example, Jefferson took scripture so seriously that God could not have created species and then let them die that he thought that there might be live wholly mammoths in the Western USA (which in part was why he financed lewis and clark).
    why is he Ti/Fe? I think he was ENTJ personally
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire