User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Buckminster Fuller: What kind of NT was he?

Wikipedia and his website have convinced me that he's an NT. But, what kind of an NT was he?

Can people discuss him? I've heard of the "buckyball" before and vaguely heard his name, but i've only stumbled across becoming interested in him by reading a quote he spoke.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

It may just be me, but he seems to be an almost stereotypical ENTP.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    It may just be me, but he seems to be an almost stereotypical ENTP.
    I was going to say exactly this, until I realized that you had already posted.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I was leaning more toward Ne for him, however, this made me wonder if a P could hold a compulsion this long:

Fuller documented his life every 15 minutes from 1915 to 1983, leaving 80 meters (270 feet) of journals. He called this the Dymaxion Chronofile. That is said to be the most documented human life in history. (Wikipedia)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Put me down for ENTP as well. Some of the anecdotes from people who met him said he was very high energy (even in his later years) and allude to his hedonism.

His philosophies seemed very humanist oriented rather than purely abstract (which seems to be a tendency in ENTPs who go that route) and his writing style seem more folksy than I imagine the other NTs to write. I could see how others would see his writing style as bufoonish. I had to work really hard not to use long run on sentences and making up words that seemed too make sense to me but broke rules of grammar.

Also, bufoonish keeps showing up in ENTP bios. I never hear that applied to other NTs.
    Last edited by meanlittlechimp; 03-03-2008 at 11:09 PM.

MBTI
    INTj

He's my hero.

Watch your mouths.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I was leaning more toward Ne for him, however, this made me wonder if a P could hold a compulsion this long:

Fuller documented his life every 15 minutes from 1915 to 1983, leaving 80 meters (270 feet) of journals. He called this the Dymaxion Chronofile. That is said to be the most documented human life in history. (Wikipedia)
    Rather rare for a P, I do agree, yet I could still see myself (a P) doing something like this. I think this is more of a manifestation of some form of neurosis entirely separate of Jungian personality type.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post

Weird. I missed this.

But I agree with Merkw -- I wonder if anyone could hold a compulsion like that for long. It seems unusual even for Js. I would think, then, that it's a manifestation of something else.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London