Thread: Hayao Miyazaki

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I did put forward that theory. Like I said, the Fi seems strong with Miyazaki-san.

Just outta curiosity, why ISFP instead of xNFP? Do you think he's got strong Se?
    I agree that he seems to have strong Fi. I said ISFP instead of INFP because he seems hung up on environmental themes (which, if we go by stereotypes, tree-huggers are more close to ISFP than INFP.) And, MUCH less importantly (because anyone can use rhetorical devices, and I kind of hate this type of interpretation), the (over)use of symbols in his storytelling strikes me more as lower Ni than high Ne. So strong ethical focus (Fi) + environmental hang-up (FiSe) + (over)use of symbolism as a device (Ni) makes me think ISFP over INFP.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII

First off, I love Miyazaki's work. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are two of my all time favorite movies. They resonate with me in a way very few other things have ever come close to.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I agree that he seems to have strong Fi. I said ISFP instead of INFP because he seems hung up on environmental themes (which, if we go by stereotypes, tree-huggers are more close to ISFP than INFP.) And, MUCH less importantly (because anyone can use rhetorical devices, and I kind of hate this type of interpretation), the (over)use of symbols in his storytelling strikes me more as lower Ni than high Ne. So strong ethical focus (Fi) + environmental hang-up (FiSe) + (over)use of symbolism as a device (Ni) makes me think ISFP over INFP.
    Interesting argument, but from what I've seen INFPs love symbolism too, wouldn't you say? The combination of Fi/Ne could produce many symbolic aspects in his work just as Ni would. Symbolism isn't exclusively assosciated with Ni, right? (seeing as how Fi chooses to endorse whatever is reflective of it's inner ideals, and Ne is the master process behind making assosciations and connections between things) What would be an example of some distinctly "Ni" inspired symbolism that he's used?
    The mind shows only what is near the heart - Elder Edda

Ti>Fi>Ne>>>Si>Te>Se>Ni>>>Fe - LII - 5w4 sp/sx 5w4-4w5-1w9
    |R|cUeI - Phlegmatic/Melancholic - Mystic - Neutral Good

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Curtiss View Post
    First off, I love Miyazaki's work. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are two of my all time favorite movies. They resonate with me in a way very few other things have ever come close to.

Interesting argument, but from what I've seen INFPs love symbolism too, wouldn't you say? The combination of Fi/Ne could produce many symbolic aspects in his work just as Ni would. Symbolism isn't exclusively assosciated with Ni, right? (seeing as how Fi chooses to endorse whatever is reflective of it's inner ideals, and Ne is the master process behind making assosciations and connections between things) What would be an example of some distinctly "Ni" inspired symbolism that he's used?
    Yeah, this is why I don't like using that type of argument. You are correct, it is perfectly true that an INFP could (and perhaps would) use lots of symbolism in their work. If you want, you can disregard what I said about Ni. I wash my hands of it.

I stand by the tree-hugger = ISFP bit, though.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Yeah, this is why I don't like using that type of argument. You are correct, it is perfectly true that an INFP could (and perhaps would) use lots of symbolism in their work. If you want, you can disregard what I said about Ni. I wash my hands of it.

I stand by the tree-hugger = ISFP bit, though.
    I can see your argument for ISFP, but if anything, there are probably MORE INFP tree huggers than ISFP. they are after all the most idealistic of all the types. I am still leaning INFP, but ISFP is certainly a possibility

MBTI
    IsFJ

I'm curious - what do you mean by "overuse of symbols"?

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I can see your argument for ISFP, but if anything, there are probably MORE INFP tree huggers than ISFP. they are after all the most idealistic of all the types. I am still leaning INFP, but ISFP is certainly a possibility
    I've never watched any interviews featuring him, I'll admit... but why do you fancy him as an introvert? Strength of Fi?

On an OT note, I swear I can find neither Princess Mononoke nor Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind in my present location - is that unfair or what?

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I'm curious - what do you mean by "overuse of symbols"?

I've never watched any interviews featuring him, I'll admit... but why do you fancy him as an introvert? Strength of Fi?

On an OT note, I swear I can find neither Princess Mononoke nor Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind in my present location - is that unfair or what?
    he could also be ENFP

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

My guess is either ENFP (reserved E) or INFJ. INFP's characters usually have a different quality... but I'm basing most of this off Howl's Moving Castle. It's been years since I watched anything else of his. His story-telling smacks of ENFP, but INFJ's seem to be more drawn to film/animation. The detail in the movies makes me want to type him as a J.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    My guess is either ENFP (reserved E) or INFJ. INFP's characters usually have a different quality... but I'm basing most of this off Howl's Moving Castle. It's been years since I watched anything else of his. His story-telling smacks of ENFP, but INFJ's seem to be more drawn to film/animation. The detail in the movies makes me want to type him as a J.
    But INFPs can be attentive to detail by using tertiary Si, no? Also, could you elaborate on what you mean by "a different quality"?

MBTI
    IsFJ

Update: I finally found clips of Miyazaki on YouTube.

I may have to revise my typing... The way he name-drops his animation buddies and shares their worry about how the film will be received seems Fe-ish, though I'm no expert on Fe/Fi. Also, could the comment about the 30-year gap in movie enjoyment be a sign of Ni, which is anticipatory? That'd point towards INFJ...

Suggestions welcome!

MBTI
    IsFJ

Also, he does sound more 9w1 than 4... Avoids voicing criticism and goes out of his way to praise his acquaintances. Not that Fours are unkind, mind you! It's just, Miyazaki doesn't sound so fixated on the "expression" part of his work.