User Tag List

First 789

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I'll get to reading all of this later, but my first impression is that you place waaaaaay too much stock in these arbitrary descriptions of communication styles.
    They are not arbitrary. Communication styles are one of the most researched and consistent features of MBTI. (Go here and get materials to read: CAPT: Training, Books, Research for MBTI, Archetypes, Leadership, Psychological Type. )They reflect a simple and verifiable reality, which is reliable and has been shown to be reliable by much research--that MBTI preferences and attitudes are reflected in use of language. All types have a preferred extroverted function; this function is the dominant function in their verbal communications. In the case of extroverts, that preference is similarly apparent in writing; in the case of introverts, you do notice a shift from extroverted function to dominant function, as a result, INJs, for example, will often write in a more open-ended style than they will speak in, in the case of INFPs or INTPs, you will see a greater tendency toward use of a judging function.

This isn't something that INTJ Lenore disputes, btw, or really anyone of note that I'm aware of.

Incidentally...
    The types which can be a bit tricky are STPs. This isn't because STPs don't follow the same rules as other types; they do. The problem is that Extroverted Sensation supported by Ti can appear nearly as blunt and directive or definitive as Te.

I see psychological type as determined by what is most important to a person's sense of self, not the style in which he communicates.
    As you know, only extroverts extrovert via their dominant function. Therefore all you know for certain when someone communicates to you via intuition, for example, is that that person is an NP.

Lenore uses the Star Trek analogy; Kirk was an extrovert, he always went down to the planet with his away team and left Spock behind on board the Enterprise. Picard was an introvert, he stayed behind and let his second in command take the risk. So it is with people...

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The Harrison interview only furthers my belief that his communication style is abstract, and therefore more likely an N type of some sort.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

someone other than Jung made up later on to generalize his/her interpretations of Jung's writings. You're not using firsthand sources.
    Of course, Jung was not a first hand source. Typology predates Jung. Moreover, even though I know you know that "not using first hand sources" is a specious argument, Jung's writings on personality type are enormously, enormously insightful, concise and imply much of what we know today that is not explicitly contained in his profiles of the eight types...Jung understood that was he was doing primarily was discovering, not inventing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    The Harrison interview only furthers my belief that his communication style is abstract, and therefore more likely an N type of some sort.
    You may find this helpful:

Amazon.com: I, Me, Mine (9780811859004): George Harrison: Books

A nice contrast:

Amazon.com: In His Own Write (9780684868073): John Lennon, Yoko Ono: Books

MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    5w4

INFJ

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

omg that is amazing.....it means you can use the beatles to represent the 4 big divides of mbti!
    it does, however, not explain why i love paul mccartney so much. mmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    Surely some kind of NF - Idealistic, Mystical. I'd say INFP.

John Lennon - NT
    Ringo Starr - SP
    Sir Paul McCartney - SJ. Can you imagine Lennon ever being knighted?

Jae Rae

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

and since there is little resolution in this thread, i'm going to offer my voice to the choir of mess lol:

Lennon - ENTP (pretty sure)
    McCartney - ESFJ (he cannot be a P because he has shitbuckets of Fe. I'm on the verge between I or E)
    Harrison - INFJ
    Starr - ISTP