User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. #21
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emotionalogic View Post
    I don't know much about him, but I would guess ENFP, like Oscar Wilde. This thread is about Byronic Heros. But then again you've never let simple facts get in the way of insinuating that I only do typology to associate impossibly cool people with my type, thereby assuaging my inferred sense of inadequacy.
    Byronic heroes are so-called because of their resemblance to Byron. Derp.
    You should give up trying to type others, you are shockingly bad at it.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Emotionalogic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Byronic heroes are so-called because of their resemblance to Byron. Derp.
    You should give up trying to type others, you are shockingly bad at it.
    Byronic Heros are so called because of their resemblance to Byron's Heros, and perhaps to idealized representations of Byron's life in media and his pseudo-autobiographies. It is a literary trope designed to be applied to fictional characters rather than real people. The self involved, idealized antihero actually predates Byron, despite being named for him. Milton's Satan is the initial prototype, particularly the interpretation by romanticist poets (such as Byron) of the character as an unintended and unusual heroic figure. You should give up trying to nettle me, you're shockingly bad at it.

  3. #23
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    @Emotionalogic - I agree mostly with your list with the exception of struggling with integrity answer. It seems more F or at least equal F and T for different reasons. A strong F may often encounter situations where the only feasible solution or choice involves violating one of their own values and then later on reflect upon their compromise of ethical integrity (probably with a degree of shame.) T's to me seem like they would just get down to the task and if the F functions do turn up they would just suppress them or rationalise them out of existence through stoic and strong logic. F's don't really have this luxury.
    I agree. I do think significant enough violations of integrity will eventually come back to haunt even a tert/inf Fi user, and can cause considerable internal havoc. The effect will be delayed/deferred more than with a F-dom/aux, however, and will be a less significant or obvious part of their external presentation.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  4. #24
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    INTJ for sure.

    Though TV Tropes also mentions Jay Gatsby, who seems INFJ, and Tony Stark, who seems ENTP.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Emotionalogic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    INTJ for sure.

    Though TV Tropes also mentions Jay Gatsby, who seems INFJ, and Tony Stark, who seems ENTP.
    Scroll down to the real life section where they talk about how Michael Jackson is a modern Byronic Hero.



    I'd take that site with a pinch of salt.

  6. #26
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emotionalogic View Post
    Scroll down to the real life section where they talk about how Michael Jackson is a modern Byronic Hero.

    I'd take that site with a pinch of salt.
    Geez.

    Well yes, I can indeed think for myself.

    TV Tropes came up when I googled Byronic Hero, which I found entertaining. I think Gatsby and Stark both qualify, personally.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    I always thought Guts from Berserk fit a Byronic Hero pretty well. I think of him as ISTP in case it really matters what I think to someone.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Emotionalogic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Geez.

    Well yes, I can indeed think for myself.

    TV Tropes came up when I googled Byronic Hero, which I found entertaining. I think Gatsby and Stark both qualify, personally.
    Remember, I'm not saying all Byronic Heros are INTJs, just that that's the most common type for them. ENTP and INFJ are both possibilities, but they won't fit the trope as well. Stark isn't angsty enough, and Gatsby isn't arrogant enough. They may qualify, but not as well as Frankenstein, Heathcliff, Rochester, Raskolnikov, Darcy, Dantes, or Onegin, all INTJs.

  9. #29
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emotionalogic View Post
    Byronic Heros are so called because of their resemblance to Byron's Heros, and perhaps to idealized representations of Byron's life in media and his pseudo-autobiographies. It is a literary trope designed to be applied to fictional characters rather than real people. The self involved, idealized antihero actually predates Byron, despite being named for him. Milton's Satan is the initial prototype, particularly the interpretation by romanticist poets (such as Byron) of the character as an unintended and unusual heroic figure. You should give up trying to nettle me, you're shockingly bad at it.
    It's good that being told you're wrong doesn't nettle you. (In this you are unlike other INTJs.)
    Your analysis is inane and misses the point. (In this you are quite like other INTJs.)

    The "Byronic Hero" exhibits a constellation of pathological traits which can be exhibited by a person of any type. However, the chief redeeming qualities - charm and charisma - are not typically associated with INTJs. Quite the reverse. INTJ arrogance is generally repulsive to others.

    Your distinction between "Byron the man" and "Byron the legend", is moot. Byron is the archetypal "mad, bad and dangerous to know" Byronic hero and the only non-fictional person attached to the type and is therefore, the only valid candidate for typing. It is much more useful to consider this characterisation through the lens of psychological disorder than to impose an arbitrary (and ill-fitting) MBTI type upon it.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Emotionalogic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    It's good that being told you're wrong doesn't nettle you. (In this you are unlike other INTJs.)
    Your analysis is inane and misses the point. (In this you are quite like other INTJs.)
    It is ironic that you attribute inane analysis and arrogance to INTJs while displaying both of them so clearly in your post. Have you considered that, according to your ludicrous and prejudicial version of typology (which seems entirely disconnected from the work of Jung or Myers) you yourself are likely an INTJ?


    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    The "Byronic Hero" exhibits a constellation of pathological traits which can be exhibited by a person of any type.
    Obviously. Perhaps you missed the post where I went over those traits and discussed their correlations with MBTI, then determined that INTJs fit best (but not exclusively). Perhaps you also missed the part where INTJ is the overwhelming consensus among other posters in the thread.




    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    However, the chief redeeming qualities - charm and charisma - are not typically associated with INTJs.
    Charm and Charisma are almost entirely unrelated to type, and many INTJs have been very charismatic. Consider John Maynard Keynes, Christopher Hitchens, Vladimir Lenin, and Martin Luther.



    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Quite the reverse. INTJ arrogance is generally repulsive to others.


    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Your distinction between "Byron the man" and "Byron the legend", is moot. Byron is the archetypal "mad, bad and dangerous to know" Byronic hero and the only non-fictional person attached to the type and is therefore, the only valid candidate for typing.
    This is wrong in so many ways. Byron is certainly not the only non-fictional person attached to the type, as he himself considered Napoleon a shining example of the trope. And, as I said before, this thread is about a fictional character type, so the only really valid candidates for typing are fictional characters. Real people like Napoleon and Byron might bare some similarity to the trope, but they can't really fit it (except in idealized portrayals) because they're not literary figures, so literary tropes don't apply.

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    It is much more useful to consider this characterisation through the lens of psychological disorder than to impose an arbitrary (and ill-fitting) MBTI type upon it.
    It is entirely possible that the traits of the Byronic Hero bear resemblance to psychological disorders like Narcissism or APD. I fail to see how that's any less arbitrary than pointing out a resemblance to an MBTI type though. If you think this is all a waste of time, then why on earth have you posted on the site 10,000 times? Are you just a really dedicated troll?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Similar Threads

  1. The Greek Hero in Crisis
    By Article Poster in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2017, 09:20 AM
  2. The Hero?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 11:21 PM
  3. Hero of the Day
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 01:57 PM
  4. Obama Snubs Nation's Heroes, Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal
    By swordpath in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 08:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO