User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Child Prodigies

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I tend to believe there is no such thing as insanity, only different sorts of complexities in personality. So everyone can potentially be typed.
    I agree. The whole black/white sanity/insanity thing gets on my nerves.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist

Welcome to Sunnyside Array Mondo's Avatar

However a sensor probably would not find something intangible like chess to be very interesting.
    I'd disagree.
    An SP would likely find the game to be fun to play especially if he or she is good at it. If they see chess as fun, they will play it.
    An SJ is very interested in his or her reputation or his or her 'status', especially XSTJ's. If a person of this type discovers that he or she has a mind for chess, then he or she will likely work on increasing his or her skills in the game. For different reasons than an NT would, but the SJ would take similar measures.
    Chess isn't 'intangible', it has its practical benefits- socially and mentally.

According to this argument, many Sensing types wouldn't bother to study abstract subjects such as mathematics or linguistics in high school/college, even though they would be more likely to get a better job in the future.

I do agree with Fischer being an INTJ. He had the idiosyncratic personality and his reasons for taking on chess were NT ones.