Thread: Child Prodigies

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I dunno, Fischer struck me as a neurotic INTJ, the kind of type who dwells on paranoid thinking.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    True, but chess is also a game which heavily relies upon tactics, which is would more accurately be described as the realm of STPs.
    Not to derail your thread but a surprising number of people do not know the difference between strategy, logistics and tactics.

As usual I can think of evidence to support either conclusion as had might have had preference for Si (if primarily relied on the memorization of known strategies) or Ni (if he primarily created new strategies). That being the case I will gladly defer this decision to you.

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Not to derail your thread but a surprising number of people do not know the difference between strategy, logistics and tactics.
    Indeed. Such irritates me indefinitely. STJs are more logistic, STPs are more into tactics, and NTJs are more strategic.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

Speaking of this, here is another similarly paranoid individual whom I have had some difficulty typing. Again, definitely IxTx:

"The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The Unibomber is an INTP, I think, possibly INTJ. And I'm not just suggesting that because he's sociopath, either. I believe even Keirsey typed him as an INTJ somewhere in his website.

NTs as a whole, however, are most likely to be the paranoid types, because of their combination of N's imagination and abstract thought and T's skepticism and intellectual independence.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Speaking of this, here is another similarly paranoid individual whom I have had some difficulty typing. Again, definitely IxTx:

I'm pretty sure he's INTP.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Tactics vs. Strategy

Indeed. Such irritates me indefinitely. STJs are more logistic, STPs are more into tactics, and NTJs are more strategic.
    I concede ISTP is possible. From Wiki:

"Chess computers are considered superhuman at tactics, but rather spotty at strategy. The fact that computers can dominate the best humans suggests that chess is primarily a tactical game."

But something about Fischer still says INTJ to me.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post

But something about Fischer still says INTJ to me.

Jae Rae
    I understand your belief. Although I should not re-iterate my previous point as I cannot defend it, nevertheless I just cannot imagine the stereotypical ISTP playing chess.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae
    "Chess computers are considered superhuman at tactics, but rather spotty at strategy. The fact that computers can dominate the best humans suggests that chess is primarily a tactical game."
    The thing with chess is that for all the strategizing you do, you'll also need to execute it properly with the proper tactical maneouvers. This is because strategy is abstract and tactics is concrete -- the moves (tactics) represent the strategy.

Tactics can arise without strategy, -- such as seeing a sudden mating or a forking combination brought on by the opponent's blunder, leading to a win/material advantage-- but the rewards of strategy can not be received without tactics.

However, strategy defines the grandmaster more, simply because the point of strategizing is to create oppurtunity for such lucrative tactics to occur -- to increase the chances of your opponent making the last miniscule mistake, so that you win, having made the second last miniscule mistake.

So I'll probably go for INTP or INTJ for Bobby Fischer. I don't see J any more than I see P.

NOTE: I'm an unrated player, but my rating would be 1400-1500 at best.
    Not really.

I think INTJ should be the final verdict on Fischer's type.

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp