User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Child Prodigies

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Sounds rather reasonable. Definitely IxTx. Rather interesting character, he was.
    If we accept that the INTJ is the "mastermind" and "the strategist" then Bobby Fischer probably was an INTJ.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Care to name a few more non-mathematician prodigies? I only say that because this is a cool idea but I don't find mathematicians interesting for the most part.

I'll take a stab at Picasso though, but I'll need to look at some of his works and read about him a bit more.

Cool idea!
    Many websites type Picasso as an ESFP but I disagree. I think he was an ENFP because his work was to surreal to have been created by someone with a dominant Se. However, to me Ne makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    If we accept that the INTJ is the "mastermind" and "the strategist" then Bobby Fischer probably was an INTJ.
    True, but there is nothing particularly N nor J about him. I was thinking IxTJ as a first, ISTP second, and INTP last.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    xNTP

True, but there is nothing particularly N nor J about him. I was thinking IxTJ as a first, ISTP second, and INTP last.
    His rebellious personality is very ISTP, as didn't he renounce America and move to Iceland? However a sensor probably would not find something intangible like chess to be very interesting.

Given the fact that one could memorize many strategies (Si?) you could build a strong case that he was an ISTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    His rebellious personality is very ISTP, as didn't he renounce America and move to Iceland? However a sensor probably would not find something intangible like chess to be very interesting.

Given the fact that one could memorize many strategies (Si?) you could build a strong case that he was an ISTJ.
    He didn't really move to Iceland. Rather, he was kicked out of the US for refusing to pay taxes. He made many anti-American remarks, and very surprisingly, extremely antisemitic remarks (even though he was of Jewish decent).

How exactly is chess intangible, though?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    xNTP

He didn't really move to Iceland. Rather, he was kicked out of the US for refusing to pay taxes. He made many anti-American remarks, and very surprisingly, extremely antisemitic remarks (even though he was of Jewish decent).

How exactly is chess intangible, though?
    Perhaps intangible is the wrong word. Bear with me on this, firstly it's a game. As such it has little use beyond itself. You can't do anything with it. Playing chess will neither cure AIDs nor find the origin of the universe. It's impractical. Hmm ... I cannot offer an adequate explanation of intangible.

To be honest I just can't imagine an artisan sitting around playing a complex board game.

Ah, I see. Well, SPs aren't always into "usefulness." Take ESFPs, for instance. They often prefer to spend their time partying and living a hedonistic lifestyle. This is has no pragmatic result whatsoever. The same may be applied to ISFPs and ISTPs, if you catch what I am trying to say. INTJs, on the other hand are very much into pragmatic application. I honestly don't think that it is all about S vs. N.

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    xNTP

Ah, I see. Well, SPs aren't always into "usefulness." Take ESFPs, for instance. They often prefer to spend their time partying and living a hedonistic lifestyle. This is has no pragmatic result whatsoever. The same may be applied to ISFPs and ISTPs, if you catch what I am trying to say. INTJs, on the other hand are very much into pragmatic application. I honestly don't think that it is all about S vs. N.
    How the hell did I miss that? Good point. Perhaps he was an ISTP then as chess, like many things pursued by artisans is fun.

MBTI
    INFJ

Chess is a game which relies heavily on strategy, at which the Rationals excel. I vote INTJ.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    Chess is a game which relies heavily on strategy, at which the Rationals excel. I vote INTJ.

Jae Rae
    True, but chess is also a game which heavily relies upon tactics, which is would more accurately be described as the realm of STPs.

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp