• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Great Artists

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
What are the types of some of the great artists of history? I know that ISFP is a typical artisan personality, but I think there will be more veriety than that. I think it will be more interesting to discuss artists who made great works despite having a personality not usually associated with artists. I'm talking mostly about painters here, by the way, when I say artists.

Name some of your favourite artists and their type, and tell me what you think of these:

Van Gogh: INFP, he's very typical INFP really, I just saw a biography of his and Guaguin and it was obvious he was INFP within the first ten minutes of the show. He was famously reclusive and isolated, and emotionally intense. He was known to have the classic INFP filtering mechanism of making people seme better than they are or having qualities they do not really posess (which is why he fell in love with a pregnant alchoholic hooker. You sure know how to pick em', Vince). I think the whole impressionist appraoch to colour -being expressive and exagerating rather than realistic- is very N. He was also extremely religious and spiritual, and at one point almost became a preist, but they found him too unconventional.

Paul Guaguin: INTJ, he was known to have an untouchable self confidence, and an arrogant "I'm right you're wrong" attitude. He was an accountant for a stock broker before becoming an artist. He always disobeyed authority and did his own thing. I think he may have had a well developed F side, though, he oftne described himself as being both savage and rational and sensitive and emotional depending on his mood. Maurice de Vlaminck, a french painter from the 50's, described his paintings as being cold, distant, and lacking emotion, which is often used to describe an INTJ in a negative mood, too.

The biography also noted how radically different the personalities of Van Gogh and Gauguin were, so INFP and INTJ seems pretty appropriate.

Claude Monet: ?

Leonardo:?

Michealangelo:?

Jackson Pullock: ?

Picasso: ?

Georgia O'Keefe: ?

Rembrandt: ?

I think it might also be fun to discuss what kind of art may apply to what types. I.E. Do N's prefer abstract style?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Monet: ISFP

DaVinci: ENTP

Michaelangelo: ENFP

Pollock: ESFP

Picasso: ENFP

O'Keefe: INTP

Rembrant: ISFP

Wild guesses based on the kind of artwork they did...

Although, I based DaVinci more on his inventions.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I agree with you on Da Vinci and his inventions being ENTP.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've heard recently that da Vinci was an ISTP. Why do you disagree?

Trovador

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've heard recently that da Vinci was an ISTP. Why do you disagree?

He was a visionary, interested in many areas of knowledge(a polypath) and he never put in pratice most of his projects. This man was almost the NTP archetype, IMO. (actually, he is the Renaissance Man archetype, wich is very similar to the NTP one)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He was a visionary, interested in many areas of knowledge(a polypath)
This is definitely true.
Trovador said:
and he never put in pratice most of his projects.
I've never thought about it before, but there are lots of designs he drew up, then never physically built.

It's just that he seemed to be known for trying some of his works out in person. And it's not a great way to judge, but that's more likely for an STP than an NTP, isn't it? Plus I don't know how true it is, anyway.

TPol

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5sp
After reading about Da Vinci, watching documentaries, and especially after watching "The Life of Leonardo Da Vinci" [(2-Disc Series) (1972)], I thought either INTP or ISTP.