12 Last

Thread: True Grit

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Post True Grit

I recently watched the Coen Brothers' version of True Grit. I never saw the old version with John Wayne.
    I am currently reading the novel by Charles Portis, and it is quite an interesting find! I love the narrator's tone (Mattie Ross).

Mattie strikes me as ESTJ in the film and as ISTJ in the book. She is driven by a high sense of justice and duty. I think Hailee Steinfeld makes her extraverted and a little annoying, while Portis' charater has determination and grit, but her attitude isn't so bold. I dislike the fact that they picked a pretty actress to play her, it really doesn't suit a character LaBoeuf describes as "unattractive to boot" and one who fascinates because of her quick wit and personality and not her looks.

Marshal Cogburn is most likely a STP, and I can't really type LaBoeuf... Any idea?

http://www.truegritmovie.com/

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

ISFJ for LaBoeuf, I think.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I thought LaBoeuf was ESTJ.

Cogburn ISTP

Mattie ISTJ
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    ISFJ for LaBoeuf, I think.
    Same.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII

I saw the movie recently (quite entertaining) and saw Mattie as very ENTJ. She just uses the law as it suits her purpose, as a way to assert control despite her age and position, she doesn't seem to actually be all that loyal to the law the way LaBoeuf is. Instead her true mission/purpose is derived from auxiliary Ni. Cogburn is a grizzled and worldly ESTP (maybe ISTP but he's constantly talking), and LaBoeuf I thought was more of an ISTJ from the impression I remember, but thinking back on it ISFJ does fit slightly better.
    The mind shows only what is near the heart - Elder Edda

Ti>Fi>Ne>>>Si>Te>Se>Ni>>>Fe - LII - 5w4 sp/sx 5w4-4w5-1w9
    |R|cUeI - Phlegmatic/Melancholic - Mystic - Neutral Good

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Curtiss View Post
    I saw the movie recently (quite entertaining) and saw Mattie as very ENTJ. She just uses the law as it suits her purpose, as a way to assert control despite her age and position, she doesn't seem to actually be all that loyal to the law the way LaBoeuf is. Instead her true mission/purpose is derived from auxiliary Ni. Cogburn is a grizzled and worldly ESTP (maybe ISTP but he's constantly talking), and LaBoeuf I thought was more of an ISTJ from the impression I remember, but thinking back on it ISFJ does fit slightly better.

Yes, ENTJ for Hailee Steinfeld's Mattie makes sense (I read that typing on another typology forum). But the more I read into Portis' book, I can assure you his Mattie Ross is ISTJ. She is also very religious there and gives constant references to Scriptures. It's really funny. I like Portis' Mattie better. She doesn't come across as demanding.

Junior Member Modern Warrior Poet's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    ----
    Socionics
    ----

You just can't replace John Wayne, pilgrim, nough said. Good effort though...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII

Hmm, maybe I'll have to read the book sometime. ISTJ's are underappreciated as protagonists. I agree Hailee Steinfeld's character got pretty annoying at times. Way too arrogant. I liked the scene when LaBoeuf smacked some submission into her.
    The mind shows only what is near the heart - Elder Edda

Ti>Fi>Ne>>>Si>Te>Se>Ni>>>Fe - LII - 5w4 sp/sx 5w4-4w5-1w9
    |R|cUeI - Phlegmatic/Melancholic - Mystic - Neutral Good

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I thought the girl was an ISTJ. I could understand ESTJ as well, but I think it became apparent that she was an ISTJ when she was older. If you wanted to throw N on her, you certainly could. There's not really that much information to go on, but I thought Jade's reading of her twisting the law to her own purposes as indicative of Ni perspective-shifting is about as evidenced as you're gunna get for one or the other. She reminded my of that classic latter half of the 1800s, American feminist type, automatically makes me think of Susan B. Anthony, who's generally held to be an INTJ. I think you could argue that her willingness to step out of her gender role for that period as a sign that she's an Ni dom or aux, not an Si. Whatever the case may be, she's definitely a TJ. From there, it's a bit up to interpretation.

Jock, I think the reading of ISFJ for LaBoeuf was phenomenal. I couldn't pin him down during the movie, and haven't given it any thought afterwards, but, looking back on it, I think that's a great call.

Cogburn was obviously an STP of some sort: take your pick as to whether he's an extrovert or an introvert; it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    She reminded my of that classic latter half of the 1800s, American feminist type, automatically makes me think of Susan B. Anthony, who's generally held to be an INTJ.
    Not exactly relevant, but I think even EFP is stepping out of the gender role, as far as westerns go (Think Dana Delaney in Tombstone..).