• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

True Grit

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I recently watched the Coen Brothers' version of True Grit. I never saw the old version with John Wayne.
I am currently reading the novel by Charles Portis, and it is quite an interesting find! I love the narrator's tone (Mattie Ross).

Mattie strikes me as ESTJ in the film and as ISTJ in the book. She is driven by a high sense of justice and duty. I think Hailee Steinfeld makes her extraverted and a little annoying, while Portis' charater has determination and grit, but her attitude isn't so bold. I dislike the fact that they picked a pretty actress to play her, it really doesn't suit a character LaBoeuf describes as "unattractive to boot" and one who fascinates because of her quick wit and personality and not her looks.

Marshal Cogburn is most likely a STP, and I can't really type LaBoeuf... Any idea?

http://www.truegritmovie.com/

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I thought LaBoeuf was ESTJ.

Cogburn ISTP

Mattie ISTJ

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw the movie recently (quite entertaining) and saw Mattie as very ENTJ. She just uses the law as it suits her purpose, as a way to assert control despite her age and position, she doesn't seem to actually be all that loyal to the law the way LaBoeuf is. Instead her true mission/purpose is derived from auxiliary Ni. Cogburn is a grizzled and worldly ESTP (maybe ISTP but he's constantly talking), and LaBoeuf I thought was more of an ISTJ from the impression I remember, but thinking back on it ISFJ does fit slightly better.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I saw the movie recently (quite entertaining) and saw Mattie as very ENTJ. She just uses the law as it suits her purpose, as a way to assert control despite her age and position, she doesn't seem to actually be all that loyal to the law the way LaBoeuf is. Instead her true mission/purpose is derived from auxiliary Ni. Cogburn is a grizzled and worldly ESTP (maybe ISTP but he's constantly talking), and LaBoeuf I thought was more of an ISTJ from the impression I remember, but thinking back on it ISFJ does fit slightly better.

Yes, ENTJ for Hailee Steinfeld's Mattie makes sense (I read that typing on another typology forum). But the more I read into Portis' book, I can assure you his Mattie Ross is ISTJ. She is also very religious there and gives constant references to Scriptures. It's really funny. :) I like Portis' Mattie better. She doesn't come across as demanding.

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, maybe I'll have to read the book sometime. ISTJ's are underappreciated as protagonists. I agree Hailee Steinfeld's character got pretty annoying at times. Way too arrogant. I liked the scene when LaBoeuf smacked some submission into her.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I thought the girl was an ISTJ. I could understand ESTJ as well, but I think it became apparent that she was an ISTJ when she was older. If you wanted to throw N on her, you certainly could. There's not really that much information to go on, but I thought Jade's reading of her twisting the law to her own purposes as indicative of Ni perspective-shifting is about as evidenced as you're gunna get for one or the other. She reminded my of that classic latter half of the 1800s, American feminist type, automatically makes me think of Susan B. Anthony, who's generally held to be an INTJ. I think you could argue that her willingness to step out of her gender role for that period as a sign that she's an Ni dom or aux, not an Si. Whatever the case may be, she's definitely a TJ. From there, it's a bit up to interpretation.

Jock, I think the reading of ISFJ for LaBoeuf was phenomenal. I couldn't pin him down during the movie, and haven't given it any thought afterwards, but, looking back on it, I think that's a great call.

Cogburn was obviously an STP of some sort: take your pick as to whether he's an extrovert or an introvert; it doesn't really matter.

KDude

She reminded my of that classic latter half of the 1800s, American feminist type, automatically makes me think of Susan B. Anthony, who's generally held to be an INTJ.

Not exactly relevant, but I think even EFP is stepping out of the gender role, as far as westerns go (Think Dana Delaney in Tombstone..).

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
This Coen's remake doesn't impress me very much. It doesn't seem a Coen brothers's movie, I don't know the reason they did this version.
Not a bad movie, but I don't understand the 95% on rottentomatoes. My guess:

Mattie Ross: ENTJ (a very annoying young one...)
Rooster Cogburn: ISTP
LaBoeuf: ISTJ
Tom Chaney and Lucky Ned Pepper: very small part, but they seem ISFP the former and ESTP the latter.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This Coen's remake doesn't impress me very much. It doesn't seem a Coen brothers's movie, I don't know the reason they did this version.

Yeah, everyone said it was a "great" movie, and I thought the acting was good... but I don't think I could ever sit through it again. I guess the story itself wasn't that monumental to me.

I don't feel like debating "why" i think the characters are a particular type, I'll just state how they scanned to me regardless (i.e., my perception view of them, not my judging view of them) as I actually watched the movie:

Mattie Ross: ISTJ
Rooster Cogburn: ESTP
LaBoeuf: ISFJ

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Saw the movie today. I have never been drawn to Westerns & while I love the Cohns brothers humor, I have an annoyingly week stomach. I've never seen the John Wayne version, but I did see the sequel with Katherine Hepburn. John Wayne pretty much plays John Wayne. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. *looks around to see if my dad is near, he's a die hard Wayne fan* Judging from Wayne's performance in that one ( which let's face it is the Western version of "The African Queen" and they didn't even bother thinking up a new plot. Feisty female character's father gets killed, must find killer and this time around a stolen shipment of nitroglycerin.), Wayne plays xstj. Jeff Bridges plays Rooster as a estp. The man never shuts up ( Remember how he kept talking about his wives and such, I'm pretty certain the girl did not ask for his life history. Reminded me of my ESTJ father, he never shuts up either, especially about his "cowboy-like" past. I joke he's the reason I'm so introverted, I can never get a word in when he's around.) Bridges didn't try to be a John Wayne & I'm all the more grateful for it. He needed to make the character his own and I think he did a great job considering.

I was pretty certain Mattie was istj. She could be an extrovert, but it sounded like she had to raise herself, her brother, and her mother even, and therefore did whatever she had to do to survive. If tapping into her underdeveloped extroverted side got her what she wanted so be it. The more I think about her though, intj does kind of fit too. She could manipulate very well ( Crappy reason for saying she's an N, but oh well.) and I felt it was the principle of what happened to her father. Her father was killed for pointless reasons, dishonorable and lacked morality. I feel that fueled her passion, not justice or revenge. Yeah she wanted to avenge, but there was an underlying honor there. To not seek the justice that was so obviously not gonna happen, she needed to show this would not be tolerated. The girl was quite honorable by offering Chaney legal help. I personally think that's kind of intuitive like, but I've been wrong before. For wanting "revenge", she is quite honorable. Anger & grief can harden you at the beginning and even a strong feeler like me would have Rooster over the more moral marshall that she could have hired, but the girl did end up showing mercy. When she killed it was self defense.

LaBoeuf: isfj fits. I think it could have been written istj, but Matt Damon played him as a Feeler. It felt like he was the only Feeler in the trio.