User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 63

  1. #31
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    This.
    That is not a complete sentence, boy. I am sorry.

  2. #32
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    That is not a complete sentence, boy. I am sorry.
    :confused:

    Drunk again?

  3. #33
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Not quite. I am trying to write an essay and have yet to find the perfect beginning.

  4. #34
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Thesis?

  5. #35
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    All conclusions are reductions. You know this.
    I speak from my experience of seeing this phenomenon before: a person like yourself, wishing to demonstrate his mental acuity, posts something wherein a historical (or fictitious) figure that he finds admirable, has a type that reflects his own belief about himself. You are not alone in this form of confirmation bias. Lots of otherwise intelligent people fall under the ego spell without knowing it

    You state that you think the ubermensch could be of any type, yet you already decide that he is INTJ in an earlier post. So you backtracked from this ‘reduction’ of the ubermensch. I assume you realized that you can’t support your own conclusions in the face of your own ego needs, now that you’ve been made aware of them.

  6. #36
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    All conclusions are reductions. You know this.
    I speak from my experience of seeing this phenomenon before: a person like yourself, wishing to demonstrate his mental acuity, posts something wherein a historical (or fictitious) figure that he finds admirable, has a type that reflects his own belief about himself. You are not alone in this form of confirmation bias. Lots of otherwise intelligent people fall under the ego spell without knowing it

    You state that you think the ubermensch could be of any type, yet you already decide that he is INTJ in an earlier post. So you backtracked from this ‘reduction’ of the ubermensch. I assume you realized that you can’t support your own conclusions in the face of your own ego needs, now that you’ve been made aware of them.
    *gnash, gnash, gnash*

    No offense, but this post just made it pathetic.

    Your integrity would appreciate if you were to just sit down and concede.

    I didn't even say any such thing...

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    If you consider Zarathustra (from the book) the prototype for the Superman, I don't see how you could go with INFJ (at least exclusively)...

    That character had to have been an INTJ (likely 5w4).

    Jesus, however, was likely an INFJ, and, in my opinion, Nietzsche would probably consider him closer to the Ubermensch than almost any other historical figure...
    You have repeatedly shown a penchant for not reading what is clearly there in front of you, so maybe you should take another gander.

    Of course, the tenets of logic seem often to elude you, so maybe even a second (or third) look won't do the trick...

    Also, not that you'll care (and not that I'll care that you don't), but now I'm sure you're an INFP.

    Mistaking conviction (Fi) for logic (Ti). It's sad really, when you see it.

    Especially when that conviction blatantly contradicts the evidence in hand.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Thesis?
    The contest between the mos italicus and the mos gallicus in the jurisprudence of the university of the middle ages mirrors and anticipates the process of enlightenment that, in central Europe, would peak hundreds of years later.

    I know what I am going to write, I am just lacking the words right now.

  8. #38
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Yes, I have read Thus Spake Zarathustra. I have also read Psychological types.
    Well, at least you've done your research. I'll take that under consideration as I comment on the rest of your post.


    You talk about the utility of typology. How does it enhance your understand of Nietzsche? What utility is there in 'knowing' that the ubermensch is INTJ, other than to reinforce your own ego through that association?
    I do not claim to know what type the Ubermensch is, nor I do I believe that the person you're addressing has done so. In fact, any person who knows typology well knows that it is impossible to "know" what type a person is. You can suspect a person's type, but that's all. To imply that a person holds such a belief when they have not expressly stated it, could be considered a veiled insult to their intelligence, aside from being a straw man argument.

    The main utility in determining one's personal perspective on the type of the Ubermensch would be to refine that archetype in one's own mind... and thus, to better understand what Nietzsche was thinking when he wrote it. Typology provides a language for discussing common differences in the way people and societies construct their value systems and perspectives on data. This seems to have quite a lot of potential utility, does it not?

    I used to think that typology had meaning, then I saw that it's simply a way for immature minds to find some ego strength without having to do any self-searching or experiencing anything real. It's so much easier to 'circle the wagons' and rely on stereotypes and interpretation than to actually know who they are, or yourself.
    If I may be so bold, this seems like an underdeveloped Ne perspective on Ni and Ti. You elevate the importance of experiencing something "real," and "self-searching", by which you seem to mean something external, and/or something subjective. You seem to be emphasizing the importance of these elements of reality, while dismissing those who think differently as using as "a bunch of stereotypes" and "interpretation." You devalue the archetypes that exist within our collective consciousness as a culture, and do not appreciate interpretive logic. In other words, friend, you do not appreciate Ni or Ti. That could be why you do not appreciate Jungian typology.


    You've gone on and on about what my type probably is, as you've determined through your elevated knowledge of typology, and yet, my original argument remains: you reduce another, and yourself, to a stereotype for completely self-referential purposes. You are only here, in this thread, to show what you ‘know’, the ultimate goal being ego strength.
    I believe that you are projecting that goal onto others. When you say that typology is merely "reducing" others to a sterotype for self-referential purposes, you must be describing what you did when you used typology. To assume that others who use typology are doing the same is quite arrogant, and frankly, unfair on your part.

    I personally use typology in an attempt to understand the dynamics of people's interactions with one another, to understand and predict how conflict arises. I do not use it simply to gratify my own ego, nor is my main purpose to compare others to myself. I'm far more interested in comparing them to each other in order to develop a working understanding of social units and the ways in which they work (and don't work).

    I will concede that to some extent typology reduces people to archetypes, but that is because it is not a substitute for getting to know people on a personal level. It was never intended to be. It was intended as a shorthand language to give a broad overview of what a person is like if you don't know them already, or to discuss how different sorts of people tend to relate to each other in a group. It is not as precise or applicable to a specific person/situation as more individualized language, but it is actually more useful than individualized language when discussing things on the macro scale.

  9. #39
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    @Z

    Once a small child came up to me and called me a fucker. I thought it was pretty funny to called names by a 6 year old!
    I'll take the same attitude to your ad hominem attack.

    You're right, you said that Zarathustra was INTJ. I missread your post. Still, my conclusion stands.

    It's interesting to me that you have some after me with such venom. Is that type realted too, or simply an admission?

  10. #40
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    The contest between the mos italicus and the mos gallicus in the jurisprudence of the university of the middle ages mirrors and anticipates the process of enlightenment that, in central Europe, would peak hundreds of years later.

    I know what I am going to write, I am just lacking the words right now.
    I know I could Google this, but what are "mos italicus" and "mos gallicus"?

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. The Madmin Blog
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 05:40 AM
  3. Eileen (to the left)
    By Eileen in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO