User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Default Archetypes of Tarot

I am fascinated with archetypical systems. It's why I'm so drawn to the MBTI. I recreationally study some occult systems and mythologies simply out of a desire to collate all the systems I can.

I was researching Tarot and found someone's attempt to attach MBTI types to the court cards in a standard Tarot deck. They clearly had a strong understanding of Tarot, but a poor understanding of MBTI. This is my attempt to rectify that:

Swords
    King - ENTJ
    Queen - INTJ
    Knight - ENTP
    Page - INTP

Cups
    King - ENFJ
    Queen - INFJ
    Knight - ENFP
    Page - INFP

Wands
    King - ESTP
    Queen - ISTP
    Knight - ESFP
    Page - ISFP

Pentacles
    King - ESTJ
    Queen - ISTJ
    Knight - ESFJ
    Page - ISFJ

I decided first that the suits correlated well to temperments. Swords are the suit of intellect and rationality (NT). Cups are the suit of emotion and intuition (NF). Wands are spiritual, passionate, and creative (SP). Pentacles are down-to-earth, calm, and traditional (SJ).

Queens are, by definition, inward-focused. Kings are their complement. Knights are the "teenagers" of the court cards, and tend to engage in conflict, and Pages are the children and the messengers. For these reasons, I made Kings and Knights Extroverts and Queens and Pages Introverts.

The last distinction was the J/P for the iNtuiting suits and the T/F for the Sensing suits. I went with the iNtuitive Kings and Queens being Judgers because I feel that they are more definite and authoritative than the younger court cards. The Knights and Pages are less developed and definite, more flexible. For the Sensing suits, I used similar logic to make the Kings and Queens Ts while the younger cards are Fs. Kings and Queens are less rash than Knights and Pages.

Comments? Critiques?
    "Having is not such a pleasing thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." --Spock

MBTI: INTP
    Enneagram: 5w6 - SP/SX
    Oldham: Solitary, Idiosyncratic

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
    Comments? Critiques?
    Someone gave me this book, which might be helpful. It's somewhat in the tradition of Jung and Joseph Campbell.

Interesting topic.

heart on fire

On page 38 of The Archetypes and The Collective Unconscious. Jung, C. G., (1934–1954), Jung affirms the link between archetypes and the tarot: "If one wants to form a picture of the symbolic process, the series of pictures found in alchemy are good examples, though the symbols they contain are for the most part traditional despite their often obscure origin and signifigance. An excellent Eastern example is the Tantric chakra system, or the mystical nerve system of Chinese yoga.

It also seems as if the set of pictures in the Tarot cards were distantly descended from the archetypes of transformation, a view that has been confirmed for me in a very enlightening lecture by Prof. Bernoulli...the symbolic process is an experience in images and of images. Its development usually shows an enantiodromian structure like the text of the I Ching, and so presents a rhythm of negative and positive, loss and gain, dark and light..."

MBTI
    ENTP

Ok. As I understand it (fairly uninformed opinion now)
    Pentacles=sensing
    swords=thinking
    cups=feeling
    wands=intuition

MBTI
    INFJ

Honestly, I'm glad someone else found this interesting. I've come across quite a few websites that have took a shot at matching up types to the tarot. I have always been very, very interested in correspondences between the MBTI and other systems. Elemental, astrological, tarot, chakras, enneagram, abstract ideas, etc. You name it. It's all fascinating.

Tarot Personalities: MBTI & Astrological Correspondences of the Tarot
    Tarot, Enneagram and MBTI Correlations
    Understanding the Tarot Court - Google Book Search
    tarot
    http://finegamedesign.com/personality.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Ok. As I understand it (fairly uninformed opinion now)
    Pentacles=sensing
    swords=thinking
    cups=feeling
    wands=intuition
    If you do it that way, and make the dominant process the definer of the suit you get (and I'm putting them in a poorly-thought-out King, Queen, Knight, Page order):

Swords - ENTJ, INTP, ESTJ, ISTP.
    Cups - ENFJ, INFP, ESFJ, ISFP.
    Wands - ENTP, INTJ, ENFP, INFJ.
    Pentacles - ESTP, ISTJ, ESFP, ISFJ.

I like this less because it removes temperment theory from the system. Cups are really NF, not SF, and certainly not SJ. It is an interesting thought, though.
    "Having is not such a pleasing thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." --Spock

MBTI
    INTP

There is another system in which the court cards are King, Queen, Prince, and Princess, in which case (frex) INTP would be the Princess of Swords.

MBTI
    Zzzz

I am fascinated with archetypical systems. It's why I'm so drawn to the MBTI. I recreationally study some occult systems and mythologies simply out of a desire to collate all the systems I can.

Comments? Critiques?
    I absolutely love this O_O So far I'll say I agree with most of:
    Swords
    Queen - INTJ
    Cups
    Queen - INFJ
    Wands
    Queen - ISTP

I say most because I've forgotten each particular meaning and from what I've skimmed they largely match but I'll reserve judgement until I've re/learned more.

I'll say, however, I've read spiritual aplied to the other suites as well, except for Swords but I'll search for it to get'em in with the rest of us (even if they refuse... ). Aside from feelings and intuition, I'd say Cups relate desire spiritual experiences. I've read that Pentacles are out for spiritual prosperity in congruent with material prosperity and I can't recall where I found it but Wands are hunting ala spiritual pursuit.

You did all that on your own, huh? People like you make me happy cause I'd be too lazy to do all that work unless I was in some mad mystical grip and I felt I had to relate it to all! O_____O

Thank you for your hard work.*claps Urchin's back*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    You did all that on your own, huh? People like you make me happy cause I'd be too lazy to do all that work unless I was in some mad mystical grip and I felt I had to relate it to all! O_____O

Thank you for your hard work.*claps Urchin's back*
    It wasn't that hard. I systemized it by distributing by temperment, then Introversion/Extraversion, then by the remaining attribute. It took a few minutes, no more. I have no mystical grip. I don't believe in mysticism, I'm just entertained by archetypical systems.

MBTI
    Zzzz

It wasn't that hard. I systemized it by distributing by temperment, then Introversion/Extraversion, then by the remaining attribute. It took a few minutes, no more. I have no mystical grip. I don't believe in mysticism, I'm just entertained by archetypical systems.
    I find that oxy-moronish in a funny way. The Tarot is steeped in mysticsm. And you study occult systems and mythologies . But I get that you only play with the archetype.

Maybe it was easy to you. Wouldn't be for me because I don't have much knowledge about the other types yet so it seemed so grand/hard, I suppose.

As for the mystical grip, I was merely joking. But I could do it if I wanted to!