• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pokemon anime MBTI

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Given that a lot of you on this board are parents or young-at-heart nerds like me :)newwink:), I'm sure many of you have seen or watch the Pokemon TV Show. I've seen quite a few episodes, but not quite all of them. But I know enough to make some educated guesses at the types of the characters, so here goes something...

Ash – ENFP
Dawn – INFP (but tries to act more like an ESFP)
Brock – INFJ
Jessie – ExTJ
James – ISFP? (I see quite a bit of Fi in him...)
Meowth – ENTP
Paul – ISTJ
Zoey – ENTJ?
Barry – ESTP

Misty - xSFJ
Tracey - ISFP
May - xNFJ
Max - INTP

Ash & Jessie are the ones I'm most certain of. The rest I wouldn't be surprised to be corrected on. :cheese:

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Ash: ENFP
Misty: ISFJ
Brock: ISFP
Jessie: ESTJ
James: ESFP
Meowth: ENTJ
Gary: ESTP
Oak: INTP

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Brock somehow strikes me as having more Fe than Fi even though I've seen him typed as IxFP loads (he caretakes the Pokemon when they're sick, cooks for the group, easily shows emotion when seeing a pretty girl, etc.)/ I wonder why everyone seems to think FP? I'm not saying it's wrong neessarily, but that I just don't see it.

I'm also gonna throw this in about Dawn from the Diamond/Pearl series. I think she's an N rather than an S, despite her affiliation with display & appearances and how she's often all "No need to worry!" in an SP-like way, because she's always thinking about her future as a coordinator & she role-models her mother in this way. She also was very good at coming up with move combination for contests.

I don't think ENFP would sound all that unreasonable for Dawn, but here's what makes me think she might really be I:
-She's often seen sleeping in a tent by herself while the others sleep outside
-She seems to have some social anxiety going on, such as how she's always wanting to look perfect before she shows herself (compared to Ash & Team Rocket who just go into it more)
-She didn't want her childhood friends to tell Ash & Brock too much about her, like how she got that "Deedee" nickname.
-In the episode where she got her Togekiss, it was very clear how worn-out she was getting by all the social interaction when she was in the princess' shoes. :cheese:
-After losing to Zoey in the Sinnoh Contest finals, she turned down the opportunity to go to a party for her in Snowpoint because she decided she'd rather stay with her close friends Ash & Brock and support Ash in his Pokemon League challenge

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I can totally see where you're coming from with brock

well in that case, i think he's an xSFJ
ISFJ probably

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ash: ENFP
Pikachu: an odd ENFP perhaps, probably due to connection with Ash
Misty: ISFJ
Brock: xxFJ of some sort
Jessie: ESTJ
James: ISFP
Meowth: confusing... a bit ENTJ like
Gary: ESTP
Oak: INTP

I'll try to actually add something to the list but I am only going off the first couple seasons here

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Given that a lot of you on this board are parents or young-at-heart nerds like me :)newwink:), I'm sure many of you have seen or watch the Pokemon TV Show. I've seen quite a few episodes, but not quite all of them. But I know enough to make some educated guesses at the types of the characters, so here goes something...

Ash – ENFP
Dawn – INFP (but tries to act more like an ESFP)
Brock – INFJ
Jessie – ExTJ
James – ISFP? (I see quite a bit of Fi in him...)
Meowth – ENTP
Paul – ISTJ
Zoey – ENTJ?
Barry – ESTP

Misty - xSFJ
Tracey - ISFP
May - xNFJ
Max - INTP

Ash & Jessie are the ones I'm most certain of. The rest I wouldn't be surprised to be corrected on. :cheese:

my thoughts are:
Ash: ENFJ 8w7 (he's way too focused to be P)
Misty: ENFJ 2w1 (she's too directing and big picture oriented to be SFJ)
Brock: ISFP 6w7
May: E?FJ 7w6
Jesse: ENTJ 6w7
James: IXFP 4w3
Tracey: ISFP 4w5

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
my thoughts are:
Ash: ENFJ 8w7 (he's way too focused to be P)
Misty: ENFJ 2w1 (she's too directing and big picture oriented to be SFJ)
Brock: ISFP 6w7
May: E?FJ 7w6
Jesse: ENTJ 6w7
James: IXFP 4w3
Tracey: ISFP 4w5

Ash seems more like an absolutely loyal buddy type to me more than anything, particularly 8. Type 6 sx imo. And I reckon he's ISFP, but I doubt anyone would agree with me lol. Jessie seems more like a 3 or something to me, she's really ambitious and vain.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ash seems more like an absolutely loyal buddy type to me more than anything, particularly 8. Type 6 sx imo. And I reckon he's ISFP, but I doubt anyone would agree with me lol. Jessie seems more like a 3 or something to me, she's really ambitious and vain.

you think Ash is an ISFP 6? could you explain. I can't see introvert at all for him and I'm almost certain he's an 8w7 or a 3w2.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you think Ash is an ISFP 6? could you explain. I can't see introvert at all for him and I'm almost certain he's an 8w7 or a 3w2.

He's always in his head motivating himself and giving himself courage, he's not aggressive like an 8, like if you took an 8s Pikachu, the 8 would explode and seek justice... well, just compare that to how ash reacts. He considers his pokemon equal to himself, he's not really a commander, he's not instructing his pokemon so much as working with them as an equal, as a 'buddy', which is exactly what the type is described as with a 7 wing. He's also far too tolerant to be an 8, when his pokemon faint, he's never even slightly pissed off. Gary is more 8 like than Ash, and Gary is probably not an 8 (I'd guess that he's a three, but I can't really recall anything he did that was significant enough for me to be sure).

Sure, he has a lot of motivation and desire, he want's to be the very best etc. and that might seem like a case for 3 on the surface, but he's far too emotional, he has no mask, no ego. He's just too genuine to be a 3. He doesn't crave attention and adulation either, just look at Jessie, then look at Ash and you'll see what I mean.

In what way is Ash an extravert? As far as I can remember, he was always very reflective, and occasionally went things alone rather stubbornly.

muddy120

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ash Ketchum: ENFP, like everyone else said here. His Ne and Si is clear despite his mistakes from time to time.

The ENFP: Ash Ketchum | What's My Type?

Misty: ENFJ, not an SFJ at all, much more intuitive and Ni user. read about it here if you don't believe, I agree based on observing her though the years, Misty is very NF and intuitive.

Misty – Pokemon: ENFJ – The Book Addict's Guide to MBTI:

Brock: ISFJ, definitely an Si dom, not an Ni user at all like some people think in my opinion. Brock has amazing memory, very detailed oriented, cares a lot about the past, and compares and contrasts things and people very, very well. Read more on it here again:

Brock – Pokemon: ISFJ – The Book Addict's Guide to MBTI:

Jessie: ENTJ, definitely an Te user and Ni user. I've always saw Jessie as a classic ENTJ woman in anime similar to Boa Hancock another ENTJ woman in anime that's very popular too.

Jessie – Pokemon: ENTJ – The Book Addict's Guide to MBTI:

James: ISFP, one of the most common ISFP in anime and fiction. His Fi and Se is clear for most people.

James – Pokemon: ISFP – The Book Addict's Guide to MBTI:

Meowth: ENTP, I agree on this

Gary Oak: ENTJ, fully stand by this opinion for sure

https://mbtifiction.com/2015/12/18/gary-oak-entj/

Dawn: INFP

https://mbtifiction.com/2016/09/16/dawn-pokemon-infp/

Paul: ISTJ

https://mbtifiction.com/2017/01/30/paul-pokemon-istj/

muddy120

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Brock somehow strikes me as having more Fe than Fi even though I've seen him typed as IxFP loads (he caretakes the Pokemon when they're sick, cooks for the group, easily shows emotion when seeing a pretty girl, etc.)/ I wonder why everyone seems to think FP? I'm not saying it's wrong neessarily, but that I just don't see it.

I'm also gonna throw this in about Dawn from the Diamond/Pearl series. I think she's an N rather than an S, despite her affiliation with display & appearances and how she's often all "No need to worry!" in an SP-like way, because she's always thinking about her future as a coordinator & she role-models her mother in this way. She also was very good at coming up with move combination for contests.

I don't think ENFP would sound all that unreasonable for Dawn, but here's what makes me think she might really be I:
-She's often seen sleeping in a tent by herself while the others sleep outside
-She seems to have some social anxiety going on, such as how she's always wanting to look perfect before she shows herself (compared to Ash & Team Rocket who just go into it more)
-She didn't want her childhood friends to tell Ash & Brock too much about her, like how she got that "Deedee" nickname.
-In the episode where she got her Togekiss, it was very clear how worn-out she was getting by all the social interaction when she was in the princess' shoes. :cheese:
-After losing to Zoey in the Sinnoh Contest finals, she turned down the opportunity to go to a party for her in Snowpoint because she decided she'd rather stay with her close friends Ash & Brock and support Ash in his Pokemon League challenge

Dawn is definitely an introvert and INFP in my opinion. Brock is ISFJ and definitely uses Fe but his Si comes first for sure.

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Lol Ash is not an ENFP, he's an ESFP - and a good example of one.

Firstly, Ash's journey overall is leading to one singular goal (Ni), it's weak Ni so he doesn't really have a plan of how he's going to get there but it's a singular goal. As he doesn't know how he's going to get there, he goes for the most efficient method through gym battles (Se-Te) and also a series of in the moment endeavours such as entering tournaments on a whim (Se).

We also see Ash implement a "steamroller" Se-Te approach to his battles. This is most apparent in his gym battle with Elesa during the Black and White series. His plan is simply to "beat the electric pokemon with a ground type". He doesn't have a backup strategy and he doesn't consider the possibility that the electric gym leader will have a way to counter ground type pokemon. He wanted a singular efficient route to victory, and it didn't pay off because of his lack of being able to see alternatives. Weak Ne. He also has very clear moments of being tunnel visioned on one singular goal, when he persistently challenged the Saffron City Gym despite being way out of his league against Psychic types. Se-Te approach, smash it over and over again until it breaks.

Muddy commented this on the link they shared and I'd like to counter it
Moments like Ash coming up with the idea with his Ne of the Counter Shield technique idea on his on based on Dawn’s contests battles from the past with Ash’s Si of remembering that and making his own battle techniques with her contests in mind for the new idea, shows Ash is a clear Ne user and Si user too with him caring about past experiences so much and having those past experiences affect his future decision making. And Ash is a very future oriented person.

While this may seem like Ne-Si on the surface it's actually Se-Ni. Si contrary to popular belief isn't really related to the past, it's more to do with internal sensations and comforts/pleasures (as it should be, given it is introverted sensing). Using past experience to benefit someone in the present in this way is Ni and Se, with Se being stronger than the Ni. Ash is a future oriented person, sure, but ESFPs can be future oriented due to the fact they value Ni. It's just how they are oriented to the future is different - Ne is more short-term future but greater width of possibilities. Ni on the other hand has a singular long term goal, and persists towards that goal at mostly any cost. It's easy to see that Ni valuing fits Ash much better.

The video presented in the site shared showed Ash as an ESFP, not ENFP. Charging head first into a Mewtwo like that - very much Se using brute force and exerting pressure, an Ne dom would be more likely to find another solution.

muddy120

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Lol Ash is not an ENFP, he's an ESFP - and a good example of one.

Firstly, Ash's journey overall is leading to one singular goal (Ni), it's weak Ni so he doesn't really have a plan of how he's going to get there but it's a singular goal. As he doesn't know how he's going to get there, he goes for the most efficient method through gym battles (Se-Te) and also a series of in the moment endeavours such as entering tournaments on a whim (Se).

We also see Ash implement a "steamroller" Se-Te approach to his battles. This is most apparent in his gym battle with Elesa during the Black and White series. His plan is simply to "beat the electric pokemon with a ground type". He doesn't have a backup strategy and he doesn't consider the possibility that the electric gym leader will have a way to counter ground type pokemon. He wanted a singular efficient route to victory, and it didn't pay off because of his lack of being able to see alternatives. Weak Ne. He also has very clear moments of being tunnel visioned on one singular goal, when he persistently challenged the Saffron City Gym despite being way out of his league against Psychic types. Se-Te approach, smash it over and over again until it breaks.

Muddy commented this on the link they shared and I'd like to counter it

While this may seem like Ne-Si on the surface it's actually Se-Ni. Si contrary to popular belief isn't really related to the past, it's more to do with internal sensations and comforts/pleasures (as it should be, given it is introverted sensing). Using past experience to benefit someone in the present in this way is Ni and Se, with Se being stronger than the Ni. Ash is a future oriented person, sure, but ESFPs can be future oriented due to the fact they value Ni. It's just how they are oriented to the future is different - Ne is more short-term future but greater width of possibilities. Ni on the other hand has a singular long term goal, and persists towards that goal at mostly any cost. It's easy to see that Ni valuing fits Ash much better.

The video presented in the site shared showed Ash as an ESFP, not ENFP. Charging head first into a Mewtwo like that - very much Se using brute force and exerting pressure, an Ne dom would be more likely to find another solution.

I just saw this message and now I'll respectfully respond with my opinion this time since I know more on this. First off, Ni does not mean singular goal, Ne users can focus too and have one single goal, this is stereotyping Ne as never focusing on one goal which is something I've seen too often and its completely wrong. I don't like this arguement because of how untrue it is, so forgive me if I'm coming off strong again. Now I'm gonna bring up Ne and Si examples in Ash.

Counter Shield - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokemon encyclopedia

Ash used his Si to remember those experiences with Dawn's contest and came up with the idea to use her twirls into his own techniques and battles for his Pokemon, this is Ne and Si in Ash. This is definitely Ne and Si, not Ni or Se at all. Se is reacting to details in the moment and Ni is seeing patterns and things behind the scenes in a focused manner.

Here's comments on great ideas people answered on Reddit that Ash did along with others with his Ne and Si:

"Using rain dance to activate Goodra's hydration ability and heal its paralysis while also causing the electric terrain to discharge at the same time to weaken Clement's electric attacks. Actually brilliant."

"I really like how resourceful Electroweb has been for Ash. He's used it as a shield, a trampoline, a........well...........web. It always comes in handy."

"I know everyone hates Tobias, but I disagree because that fight actually showed Ash use some of his best Pokémon with a decent strategy, such as teaching his Heracross Sleep Talk to combat Darkrai's Dark Void"

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I just saw this message and now I'll respectfully respond with my opinion this time since I know more on this. First off, Ni does not mean singular goal, Ne users can focus too and have one single goal, this is stereotyping Ne as never focusing on one goal which is something I've seen too often and its completely wrong. I don't like this arguement because of how untrue it is, so forgive me if I'm coming off strong again. Now I'm gonna bring up Ne and Si examples in Ash.

Counter Shield - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokemon encyclopedia

Ash used his Si to remember those experiences with Dawn's contest and came up with the idea to use her twirls into his own techniques and battles for his Pokemon, this is Ne and Si in Ash.

Here's a comment on great ideas people answered on Reddit that Ash did along with others with his Ne and Si:

"Using rain dance to activate Goodra's hydration ability and heal its paralysis while also causing the electric terrain to discharge at the same time to weaken Clement's electric attacks. Actually brilliant."

"I really like how resourceful Electroweb has been for Ash. He's used it as a shield, a trampoline, a........well...........web. It always comes in handy."

"I know everyone hates Tobias, but I disagree because that fight actually showed Ash use some of his best Pokémon with a decent strategy, such as teaching his Heracross Sleep Talk to combat Darkrai's Dark Void"

Ash used his Si to remember those experiences with Dawn's contest and came up with the idea to use her twirls into his own techniques and battles for his Pokemon, this is Ne and Si in Ash.

No need to repeat the point, I explained this in my original post.

As for those 3 quotes at the bottom, they just show resourcefulness which any type can be, if I had to absolutely link resourcefulness to type I'd link it to Pe in general. Teaching a Pokemon sleep talk to combat the most well known move of the opponent's only known Pokemon isn't exactly Ne lol - in fact I'd say that's more of that Se-Te going for the most direct, effective route. Focusing on what Tobias as, rather than the possible other Pokemon he could have, thanks for giving me that extra point to use for an ESFP argument in future. Just because someone is smart, doesn't make them an intuitive which is what you are implying with those quotes.

First off, Ni does not mean singular goal, Ne users can focus too and have one single goal, this is stereotyping Ne as never focusing on one goal which is something I've seen too often and its completely wrong.
No, lol. Ni doesn't mean a singular goal, but the nature of Ni is more inclined to a singular vision of the distant future. Ne being more tuned to near future possibilities and potentials typically likes to have multiple shorter term "goals" or projects on the goal at the same time. It's about breadth vs depth, and compared to other characters in the series Ash is very clearly about depth over breadth.

muddy120

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

As for those 3 quotes at the bottom, they just show resourcefulness which any type can be, if I had to absolutely link resourcefulness to type I'd link it to Pe in general. Teaching a Pokemon sleep talk to combat the most well known move of the opponent's only known Pokemon isn't exactly Ne lol - in fact I'd say that's more of that Se-Te going for the most direct, effective route. Focusing on what Tobias as, rather than the possible other Pokemon he could have, thanks for giving me that extra point to use for an ESFP argument in future. Just because someone is smart, doesn't make them an intuitive which is what you are implying with those quotes.

No, lol. Ni doesn't mean a singular goal, but the nature of Ni is more inclined to a singular vision of the distant future. Ne being more tuned to near future possibilities and potentials typically likes to have multiple shorter term "goals" or projects on the goal at the same time. It's about breadth vs depth, and compared to other characters in the series Ash is very clearly about depth over breadth.

Well if you read the comments of the two guys debating in this Luffy post, you'll see Ryan argue how Ne and Si is about getting ideas from their experiences Si and the real world, not the undefined with their Ni.

Practical Typing | One Piece: Monkey D. Luffy (ENFP)

Here's some more links and definitions to explain, sorry for the links btw haha. I've sent you a lot today, practicaltyping isn't always right when they type characters but sometimes I think there spot on when they type and I like the function analysis posts even if I disagree here and there with a few things, I think they get a lot right with their descriptions on functions, usually anyway:

Practical Typing | 11 Differences Between Si and Se Users

Practical Typing | 7 Differences Between Ne and Ni Users

Practical Typing | Intuition Functions (Ni/Ne)

And yes your right Ni doesn't mean one goal, Ni is just more focused and narrow. And Ne is more scatter-brained and sees more possibilities, but one thing I think people fail to realize is where not in the characters head all the time, so we don't see every possibility an Ne user sees every moment, but if you see a character come up with ideas on the spot and its especially based on past experiences in reality or past experiences in their current situation its more on the Ne Si axis. Ni and Se is much less focused on detailed memory and gets undefined hunches and ideas with things, its why Ni users like myself "feel" things but can't explain where they're coming from and Ni users get stereotyped as psychics and all that even though that's nonsense and my hunches are coming from somewhere which is usually my Se in the moment experience and then get's remembered in patterns and undefined concepts the Ni remembers and latches onto. That's why I stressed and mention Counter Shield is Ne Si, because its a clear detail from the past in the real world that Ash experienced and then he came up with an idea later based on that detailed memory and clear past experience he had with his Si for a new Ne idea to use in the outer world for his techniques for his pokemon, Ne and Si axis. An example of Ni is Frieza killing the Saiyan's on a undefined hunch with no evidence of rebellion or signs at all being seen, the closest thing is a rumor but its not definite or enough evidence to justify, but he killed them anyway because in my opinion Frieza is ENTJ and he had a hunch that the Saiyans would rebel and awaken a Super Saiyan because he had a hunch with his Ni on the Ni Se axis without clear proof or concrete information and evidence.

muddy120

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I like this as well, this is a really good example of what I said and mentioned above too.

Practical Typing | Ne vs. Ni: A Simplistic Example

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well if you read the comments of the two guys debating in this Luffy post, you'll see Ryan argue how Ne and Si is about getting ideas from their experiences Si and the real world, not the undefined with their Ni.

Practical Typing | One Piece: Monkey D. Luffy (ENFP)

Here's some more links and definitions to explain, sorry for the links btw haha. I've sent you a lot today, practicaltyping isn't always right when they type characters but sometimes I think there spot on when they type and I like the function analysis posts even if I disagree here and there with a few things, I think they get a lot right with their descriptions on functions, usually anyway:

Practical Typing | 11 Differences Between Si and Se Users

Practical Typing | 7 Differences Between Ne and Ni Users

Practical Typing | Intuition Functions (Ni/Ne)

And yes your right Ni doesn't mean one goal, Ni is just more focused and narrow. And Ne is more scatter-brained and sees more possibilities, but one thing I think people fail to realize is where not in the characters head all the time, so we don't see every possibility an Ne user sees every moment, but if you see a character come up with ideas on the spot and its especially based on past experiences in reality or past experiences in their current situation its more on the Ne Si axis. Ni and Se is much less focused on detailed memory and gets undefined hunches and ideas with things, its why Ni users like myself "feel" things but can't explain where they're coming from and Ni users get stereotyped as psychics and all that even though that's nonsense and my hunches are coming from somewhere which is usually my Se in the moment experience and then get's remembered in patterns and undefined concepts the Ni remembers and latches onto. That's why I stressed and mention Counter Shield is Ne Si, because its a clear detail from the past in the real world that Ash experienced and then he came up with an idea later based on that detailed memory and clear past experience he had with his Si for a new Ne idea to use in the outer world for his techniques for his pokemon, Ne and Si axis. An example of Ni is Frieza killing the Saiyan's on a undefined hunch with no evidence of rebellion or signs at all being seen, the closest thing is a rumor but its not definite or enough evidence to justify, but he killed them anyway because in my opinion Frieza is ENTJ and he had a hunch that the Saiyans would rebel and awaken a Super Saiyan because he had a hunch with his Ni on the Ni Se axis without clear proof or concrete information and evidence.

What I'm saying is Si actually has nothing to do with the past, really.
The memory itself of Dawn's strategy/technique isn't function related, because to equate something as basic and innate as memory to a function is rather silly. However, when we look at the Bulbapedia page we get more info:
Ash developed this technique while trying to find a way to prevent Fantina's Pokémon from making his Pokémon sleep with Hypnosis. It was eventually used for both offensive and defensive purposes.

This gives us more context, and when we look at the contrast between Si and Ni it becomes clear:
In contrast to introverted intuition Ni, Si is about direct interaction and unity (or discord) with one's surroundings, rather than abstract process and causal links.

This shows us that Ash making that connection between Dawn's technique and the problem he is currently dealing with is much more akin to how Ni/Se uses experiences. In this case, more focus on the issue currently at hand than the future, so Se > Ni again. I agree, he is quite a concrete person - because he leads with Se. Not only this, but again we get that Se-Te "smashing things over the head again and again" with this strategy, he sees it is effective in his gym battle so repeatedly uses it over and over again to the point it becomes predictable. In his battle with Paul at Lake Acuity, he used the technique 3 times.
Not only this, but with the Pokemon anime, while we don't always get to be inside Ash's head we do get to see his thoughts when he is planning for a major battle. To draw back to that Elesa gym battle in Unova - we can clearly see he didn't account for the possibility of Elesa having a counter to Ground types when he outright says he was planning on winning every battle with Palpitoad. Not only this, but there are many times throughout the series where Ash doesn't consider alternate possibilities beyond what he directly observes. In Hoenn for example, he doesn't consider that Brawly uses surfing as a method of training until he is directly told this by Brawly himself - just to provide one example off the top of my head.

muddy120

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What I'm saying is Si actually has nothing to do with the past, really.
The memory itself of Dawn's strategy/technique isn't function related, because to equate something as basic and innate as memory to a function is rather silly. However, when we look at the Bulbapedia page we get more info:

This gives us more context, and when we look at the contrast between Si and Ni it becomes clear:

This shows us that Ash making that connection between Dawn's technique and the problem he is currently dealing with is much more akin to how Ni/Se uses experiences. In this case, more focus on the issue currently at hand than the future, so Se > Ni again. I agree, he is quite a concrete person - because he leads with Se. Not only this, but again we get that Se-Te "smashing things over the head again and again" with this strategy, he sees it is effective in his gym battle so repeatedly uses it over and over again to the point it becomes predictable. In his battle with Paul at Lake Acuity, he used the technique 3 times.
Not only this, but with the Pokemon anime, while we don't always get to be inside Ash's head we do get to see his thoughts when he is planning for a major battle. To draw back to that Elesa gym battle in Unova - we can clearly see he didn't account for the possibility of Elesa having a counter to Ground types when he outright says he was planning on winning every battle with Palpitoad. Not only this, but there are many times throughout the series where Ash doesn't consider alternate possibilities beyond what he directly observes. In Hoenn for example, he doesn't consider that Brawly uses surfing as a method of training until he is directly told this by Brawly himself - just to provide one example off the top of my head.

My first comment is Si is 100% about the past, this is a defining feature of Si. I've learned yes having memory of something isn't always Si but by definition Si is DEFINITELY about the past and sensory past details. It's like saying Se doesn't care about reacting to details in the moment, or Ne doesn't care about future possibilities, or Te doesn't care about efficiency, it's simply not true, those are the definitions, with more to the definitions of course but those are the core of them I mean, the past and past details is everything to Si.

Practical Typing | Sensing Functions (Si/Se)

You gave good points for Se and Ni. Another point I'll give for Ne and Si is go back and watch the Whitney episode, that entire gym battle was Ne and Si in Ash. And I still stand by Counter Shield as a massive Ne Si moment for Ash, so we'll have to agree to disagree there. And it doesn't matter if its currently at hand or not, it matters if the person is reacting fully in the moment with Se, or imagining future possibilities in the moment with Ne. They both are trying to solve the current scenario but in different ways.

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My first comment is Si is 100% about the past, this is a defining feature of Si. I've learned yes having memory of something isn't always Si but by definition Si is DEFINITELY about the past and sensory past details. It's like saying Se doesn't care about reacting to details in the moment, or Ne doesn't care about future possibilities, or Te doesn't care about efficiency, it's simply not true, those are the definitions, with more to the definitions of course but those are the core of them I mean, the past and past details is everything to Si.

Practical Typing | Sensing Functions (Si/Se)

You gave good points for Se and Ni. Another point I'll give for Ne and Si is go back and watch the Whitney episode, that entire gym battle was Ne and Si in Ash. And I still stand by Counter Shield as a massive Ne Si moment for Ash, so we'll have to agree to disagree there.

Si is associated with the ability to internalize sensations and to experience them in full detail.

Si focuses on tangible, direct (external) connections (introverted) between processes (dynamic) happening in one time, i.e. the physical, sensual experience of interactions between objects. This leads to an awareness of internal tangible physical states and how various physical fluctuations or substances are directly transferred between objects, such as motion, temperature, or dirtiness. The awareness of these tangible physical processes consequently leads to an awareness of health, or an optimum balance with one's environment. The individual physical reaction to concrete surroundings is main way we perceive and define aesthetics, comfort, convenience, and pleasure.

In contrast to extroverted sensing Se, Si is related to following one's own needs instead of focusing on some externally-driven conception of what is necessary to acquire or achieve. So, whereas Se ego types feel capable to evaluate how justified others' preferences are, Si ego types will try to adjust to them in any way possible (given that it does not extremely affect their own comfort), wishing to minimize conflict.

In contrast to introverted intuition Ni, Si is about direct interaction and unity (or discord) with one's surroundings, rather than abstract process and causal links.

Types that value Si prefer to spend their time doing enjoyable activities rather than straining themselves to achieve goals. They like to believe that if activities are done with enjoyment, people will give them more effort and time, and also becoming more skilled at what they are doing in the long run. They believe that goals should suit people's intrinsic needs rather than shaped by the demands and constraints of the external world, and so do not try to force others into doing things they don't want to do. They also try to be easygoing and pleasant, preferring peaceful coexistence to conflict, except when their personal well-being or comfort is directly at stake.
^This is the best definition of Si imo, from Socionics. I use Socionics rather than MBTI (aka MehBTI) because I simply find a lot of the definitions of functions there to be more accurate. It makes more sense for this to be what introverted sensing is. I don't exclusively use Socionics, and I will admit I do kind of use a blend of the two using what makes the most logical sense to me from each system.

The Whitney episode could imo be a good argument for Ne/Si BUT it has one major flaw. When Ash rematches Whitney, we don't actually get to see if he had a backup plan or not because his plan works smoothly. If he had not had a backup plan, then it would be in the Elesa category, if he had a backup plan then it probably was a rare moment of Ne from Ash - which ESFPs can have given that we have all 8 functions. The reason I used the examples I did was because we can actually extract what he was thinking of, and what he wasn't thinking of due to the dialogue in those moments. That Brawly episode I pointed to earlier has what could be described as Se forcefulness and Ni fixation, in his first gym battle with Brawly ash pushes his Treecko to the point of exhaustion and only really realises his mistake when it is pointed out to him. I'm about to get very subjective for a second, but as someone into the VGC who uses very off-meta teams, I don't like to over-rely on one singular strategy or plan where possible. Of course it's not the same thing, but just wanted to offer that comparison.