User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar: The Last Airbender

MBTI
    INFJ
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Avatar: The Last Airbender

So, anyone wanna take a shot at typing the characters? I absolutely LOVE this show. The characters are brilliant, and their friendships are timeless. Everytime an episode ends and I see the credits I feel tingles all over my body. Such a simple yet beautiful show.

I'm not completely confident in my guesses. I didn't go through and match up their dominant and secondary functions to see if it works.

Aang - ENFP (Ne/Fi)
    It seems that the ENFPs love to get that extra squeeze out of life, and Aang does just that. He always finds some weird or strange way to play a game or have fun. Also, being from the Air nation, he does have ENFP-like worries about being controlled as seen in the teams stay in the structured Ba Sing Se.

Kitara - ESFJ (Fe/Si)
    Kitara absolutely believes in helping others, even if it means self-sacrificing her needs. "I will never, ever turn my back on people that need me!" I wanted to type her as an introvert at first, but I realized that she was more Fe than she was Fi. In the episode where Zuko joins the party, she threatened to kill him if he did anything fishy, which is very unlike her. This reminds me of my ESFJ mother who has said similar things to people who have threatened/hurt her children.

Sokka - ENTP (Ne/Ti)
    I wasn't quite sure what Sokka was until I realized how much he relied on ingenuity and how he was definitely the "inventor" type. He sees a world of possibilities, and when under pressure he can quickly use his Ti to come up with a working plan.

Toph - ESTP (Se/Ti)
    She desires to do what she pleases and is not too happy with compulsory activity. This is simply another guess.

Zuko - ISTJ (Si/Te)
    He is very serious about his duties and responsibilities, and is a very serious person in general.

Uncle Iroh - ESFJ (Fe/Si)
    Just a guess.

Azula - ENTJ (Te/Ni)
    Oh man... She simply radiates being an unhealthy ENTJ. She has a strong desire for dominance, and seems to always be planning what could be. She relies on empirical thought first, and then lets her intuition fill in the blanks when she is planning. She is a very unique villain.

Ty Lee - ESFP (Se/Fi)
    Honestly, what else could she be? She lives for the moment and enjoys her good share of fun. She has in inner emotional flame, shown to use in The Beach, when she expresses how she was afraid she would never stand out from her 6 sisters and would always be part of a "set". She often flirts with boys and usually has a group of them surrounding her, hinting at her fear of being alone.

Mai - INTP (Ti/Ne)
    Haha, I finally found my own example of an INTP. She prefers her solitude and is willing not to put too much effort into anything, as seen when she refuses to chase after Kitara and Sokka through the slime waste in the episode The Drill. I was torn between if she was an ISTP or an INTP, but she never expresses any kind of Se habits so I decided on INTP.

Feel free to correct me. I'm more concerned about getting them typed correctly than being right. I like relating the MBTI to anime/cartoon characters since they seem to be a little on the melodramatic side, letting their true colors shine through. It's easier for me to recall what a stereotypical ENTP is like when I think of Sokka versus thinking of Alexander the Great, whom I know nothing about.

Enneagram 4w5 social

Furry Critter with Claws Array Kiddo's Avatar
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been watching it since it premiered. It's so good I originally thought it was a Japanese anime. I just finished watching the 13th episode of the third book. I think you have the character's types pegged pretty well. Although I would have never thought of Toph as an ESTP. It does make sense though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I've been watching it since it premiered. It's so good I originally thought it was a Japanese anime. I just finished watching the 13th episode of the third book. I think you have the character's types pegged pretty well. Although I would have never thought of Toph as an ESTP. It does make sense though.
    Yeah, I originally had her as an ESTJ, but she just seemed to fit ESTP more when I watched an episode.

Enneagram 4w5 social

Furry Critter with Claws Array Kiddo's Avatar
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    Yeah, I originally had her as an ESTJ, but she just seemed to fit ESTP more when I watched an episode.
    Good call.

The worst part is now I'm gonna imagine whatever as a staunchy, little earth bender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    So, anyone wanna take a shot at typing the characters? I absolutely LOVE this show. The characters are brilliant, and their friendships are timeless. Everytime an episode ends and I see the credits I feel tingles all over my body. Such a simple yet beautiful show.

I'm not completely confident in my guesses. I didn't go through and match up their dominant and secondary functions to see if it works.

Aang - ENFP (Ne/Fi)
    It seems that the ENFPs love to get that extra squeeze out of life, and Aang does just that. He always finds some weird or strange way to play a game or have fun. Also, being from the Air nation, he does have ENFP-like worries about being controlled as seen in the teams stay in the structured Ba Sing Se.

Katara - ESFJ (Fe/Si)
    Katara absolutely believes in helping others, even if it means self-sacrificing her needs. "I will never, ever turn my back on people that need me!" I wanted to type her as an introvert at first, but I realized that she was more Fe than she was Fi. In the episode where Zuko joins the party, she threatened to kill him if he did anything fishy, which is very unlike her. This reminds me of my ESFJ mother who has said similar things to people who have threatened/hurt her children.

Sokka - ENTP (Ne/Ti)
    I wasn't quite sure what Sokka was until I realized how much he relied on ingenuity and how he was definitely the "inventor" type. He sees a world of possibilities, and when under pressure he can quickly use his Ti to come up with a working plan.

Toph - ESTP (Se/Ti)
    She desires to do what she pleases and is not too happy with compulsory activity. This is simply another guess.

Zuko - ISTJ (Si/Te)
    He is very serious about his duties and responsibilities, and is a very serious person in general.

Uncle Iroh - ESFJ (Fe/Si)
    Just a guess.

Azula - ENTJ (Te/Ni)
    Oh man... She simply radiates being an unhealthy ENTJ. She has a strong desire for dominance, and seems to always be planning what could be. She relies on empirical thought first, and then lets her intuition fill in the blanks when she is planning. She is a very unique villain.

Ty Lee - ESFP (Se/Fi)
    Honestly, what else could she be? She lives for the moment and enjoys her good share of fun. She has in inner emotional flame, shown to use in The Beach, when she expresses how she was afraid she would never stand out from her 6 sisters and would always be part of a "set". She often flirts with boys and usually has a group of them surrounding her, hinting at her fear of being alone.

Mai - INTP (Ti/Ne)
    Haha, I finally found my own example of an INTP. She prefers her solitude and is willing not to put too much effort into anything, as seen when she refuses to chase after Kitara and Sokka through the slime waste in the episode The Drill. I was torn between if she was an ISTP or an INTP, but she never expresses any kind of Se habits so I decided on INTP.

Feel free to correct me. I'm more concerned about getting them typed correctly than being right. I like relating the MBTI to anime/cartoon characters since they seem to be a little on the melodramatic side, letting their true colors shine through. It's easier for me to recall what a stereotypical ENTP is like when I think of Sokka versus thinking of Alexander the Great, whom I know nothing about.
    I agree with Aang being ENFP, but I think Katara is actually ISFJ.
    -->"Quiet, friendly, responsible, and conscientious. Work devotedly to meet their obligations. Lend stability to any project or group. Thorough and painstaking, accurate. Their interests are usuallY not technical. Can be patient with necessary details. Loyal, considerate, perceptive, concerned with how other people feel."

This is my list:
    Aang = ENFP*
    Katara = ISFJ*
    Sokka = ENTP*
    Toph = ISTP
    Zuko = INFP
    Iroh = ESFJ
    Mai = ISTJ
    Ty Lee =ENFP?
    Azula = EST(F?)P
    Ozai = ESTP?

Of course, you might be more knowledgable on the concept of type, but I'm really not exactly sure on any of these except the ones that have a star near them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Zuko always seemed to project that kind of INFP type in a more unhealthy sense. Azula seems like an ENTJ, and Mai could be an ISTJ-- I'm uncertain of the total description of the type.

I got an ESFJ vibe or something like that from Suki, but I could be wrong. She reminds me of Kim Possible. Definitely a J.

So...

Aang: ENFP
    Katara: ISFJ
    Sokka: ENTP
    Toph: ESTP
    Suki: EXXJ
    Zuko: INFP
    Iroh: Old
    Mai: ISTJ
    Ty Lee: ENFP
    Azula: ENTJ

That show was awesome.

Senior Member Array Jade Curtiss's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this show as well, and had typed the characters before reading this. I agree with most of these.

Aang: ENFP - Classic Example

Katara: ESFJ - I thought she was an introvert at first as well, but she seems much more Fe dominant than Si. I'm glad to see an ESFJ that isn't overly extroverted.

Sokka: ENTP - another classic example of a type.

Toph: ESTP - I'd say ESTP over ISTP, as her Se is much more prevalant than Ti

Zuko: ISFP or ISTP - Zuko is one of my favorite characters, along with Toph, but I'm not completely sure about his type. INFP could work but he just shows far more Se than Ne. He could also be ISTP, but he has a strong Fi either way. It was one of the main reasons he was banished, after speaking up during the council, valuing the Nations Soldiers lives and refusing to fight his father. Throughout the series, his Fi drove him, thinking he was doing the right thing, making the capture of the Avatar part of his code. But over the course of the show, with influence from Iroh he changed his Fi to match his own beliefs (atoning for his homelands mistakes as well as his own and giving up on seeking his fathers approval.) He might seem ISTJ, especially in the beginning, but unlike a J he does not plan ahead or organize things, Zuko lives by the Indy ploy, using his Se and skills to get him through a difficult situation. I could also see ISTP with a strong Fi, as he is very Competitive and doesn't usually show emotion outwardly (which is more of a Fe trait) Zuko is an awesome example of an intense, antihero ISFP.

Azulah: ENTJ - I agree with Wedekit about the typing and she makes an awesome antagonist, but I wouldn't say she is especially unique for a villian, with regards to type. ENTJ is the second most common type for a villian after INTJ.Typing Zuko as an ISFP, her opposite, didn't seem right because, while they are quite different, I didn't think they were opposites, but it's likely that Zuko was conditioned to be more like an ENTJ, the pride of the Fire Nation, so he tried to act like something he wasn't to make his parents proud.

Iroh: ESFP - Iroh was fairly hard to type, I could also see him as an ENFP or ENFJ possibly. I think he had developed most of the cognitive functions by his old age that his true type is harder to pinpoint. Like Zuko, he had a strong auxiliary Fi that likely contributed in his turning his back on the ambitions of his brother and the fire nation. His laid back, peaceful nature also leads me to type him as a Perciever. I just can't see him as a guardian, he's more carefree and hedonistic, typical of Artisans.

Mai: ISTP
    I think this fits her almost perfectly, but you very well may be right about her being an INTP, Wedekit.

Ty Lee: ESFP

My Guesses for minor characters:

Jet: ESTP

Yue: INFJ

Zhao: ENTJ

June: ISTP

Roku: INFJ

Ozai: ENTJ

Pakkun: ISTJ

Suki: ISFJ
    The mind shows only what is near the heart - Elder Edda

Ti>Fi>Ne>>>Si>Te>Se>Ni>>>Fe - LII - 5w4 sp/sx 5w4-4w5-1w9
    |R|cUeI - Phlegmatic/Melancholic - Mystic - Neutral Good

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp
    Post Thanks / Like

Aang: Ne-IEE (ENFp) - 7w6 so/sp

Katara: I would say Te/Fi > Ti/Fe for her, and a rational type from either the Gamma or Delta quadrant, most likely Delta. She's not exactly a consistent character, but Delta and Si-LSE (ESTj) 2w3 so/sx makes the most sense.

Sokka: Ti-ILE (ENTp)? This is quite possibly the only typing that makes sense, but he still isn't overall consistent with ENTp, so I put a nice question mark behind it. 6w7 sp/so.

Toph: Te-SLI (ISTp) - Her tough girl act as a compensation for being thought as weak for her blindness could be mistakenly as being Se valuing, but ISTp fits a lot better. 5w6?

Zuko: An anomaly, but I am thinking 8w7 for him.

Azula: Fe-EIE (ENFj) - Definitely, she actively uses Fe in her dealings with people - a prime example of this would be in her first appearance in the show where she speaks to the captain about the tides. Lack of focus on the external dynamics (the logic!) of the situation and more on the internal dynamics (the emotions). Her focus was on scaring the captain, and it's all based on Ti hierarchy. Where do people see Te-dominance? 7w8 sx/so.

Fe isn't always this warm and kind thing. It can be used just as easily to hurt people.

Mai: ILI (INTp)?

Ty Lee: Fe-SEI (ISFp). 7w6 so/sp - Not all IP types are quiet and inactive. She was definitely go-with-the-flow though, and creative Fe makes sense to me. ESFp probably makes no sense.

Iroh: Si-SEI (ISFp). 9w1 sp/sx
    Jet: Se-SLE (ESTp) 8w7 sp/so
    Suki: Se-ESI (ISFj)
    Zhao: SLE (ESTp)
    Ozai: Se-LSI (ISTj) - Typical stock villain, eh?
    Last edited by Tyrant; 12-05-2009 at 01:52 AM.
    INTP | IEI - INFp

Senior Member Array Jade Curtiss's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII
    Post Thanks / Like

(To Tyrant) I'm not familiar with what you mean by Gamma or Delta, could you explain? Otherwise, it looks like you are using socionics instead of mbti. I'm not well-versed in that but I know Katara is no ESTJ. Isn't the main difference the fact that the j/p difference in socionics is determined by whether the dominant function is information gathering or decision making as opposed to the highest extraverted fuction in MBTI?

I can definintely see Toph as an ISTP but as for enneagram, 8w9 all the way.

Zuko seems like a combination of Types 4 and 8.

Azula: Yes, your right that she had a strong, manipulative Fe going for her, so she could be ENFJ, but she did use Te as well.

Ty Lee: Again, I know socionics is different than MBTI, but if the letters correlate, then there is no way she is an intovert. Also, you mentioned her using creative Fe. ESFP uses the cognitive process order of Se-Fi-Te-Ni in MBTI, no Fe. Is this not the case for socionics?
    The mind shows only what is near the heart - Elder Edda

Ti>Fi>Ne>>>Si>Te>Se>Ni>>>Fe - LII - 5w4 sp/sx 5w4-4w5-1w9
    |R|cUeI - Phlegmatic/Melancholic - Mystic - Neutral Good

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an Airbender betwixt my cheeks!
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so