User Tag List

1231151 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default The ESFP "stupid" myth.

I've noticed a trend in television sitcoms for "stupid" characters to be ESFPs.
    Notably, Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin, Joey Tribbiani and Kelly Bundy.

Obviously this a stereotype unfounded in reality, but what is it about ESFPs that makes Hollywood writers make them stupid characters, or alternatively make stupid characters into ESFPs?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    I've noticed a trend in television sitcoms for "stupid" characters to be ESFPs.
    Notably, Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin and Kelly Bundy.

Obviously this a stereotype unfounded in reality, but what is it about ESFPs that makes Hollywood writers make them stupid characters, or alternatively make stupid characters into ESFPs?
    An I character that is stupid isn't funny, because you can't tell that they are stupid. A T character isn't funny, because they aren't as expressive (when it comes to slapstick humor like you mentioned). as for the others...who knows
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    An I character that is stupid isn't funny, because you can't tell that they are stupid. A T character isn't funny, because they aren't as expressive (when it comes to slapstick humor like you mentioned). as for the others...who knows
    As far as comedy hijinks go, the present-minded, face value nature of the S is a lot easier to work with.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    Obviously this a stereotype unfounded in reality
    If you say so.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

The ESFPs I know irl, one of whom is frigging brilliant, seem to have a less than intelligent persona and sometimes make pretty wild decisions because they aren't thinking about the future very much.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    The ESFPs I know irl, one of whom is frigging brilliant, seem to have a less than intelligent persona and sometimes make pretty wild decisions because they aren't thinking about the future very much.
    That makes sense. I think it's probably that ESFP's have a personality that lends itself to a perception of being stupid, thoughtless, and funny, even if they don't necessarily act this way all of the time (which they may, if they're truly stupid, but that could apply to any type).

MBTI
    INTJ

I knew an ISFP who had a son who had severe allergies and you would not believe everything she needed to know in order to protect him - she had to be a rocket scientist to keep it all straight!

MBTI
    INTJ

Some ESFPs are stupid, some are highly intelligent. Their average IQ is probably slightly below average, but they would probably come out better in a multiple intelligence theory perspective, probably being above average in musical, bodily-kinesthetic and interpersonal intelligence. My best friend is an ESFP (at first thought to be ENFP, but cognitive processes test revealed she is clearly ESFP) with an IQ of about 150 and a musical genius, so for sure highly intelligent ones exist.

MBTI
    INTP

As a matter of fact, converning the intelligence of ESFPs, I give you two words:

Bill Clinton.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Badger View Post
    As a matter of fact, converning the intelligence of ESFPs, I give you two words:

Bill Clinton.
    "I feel your pain."