• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The ESFP "stupid" myth.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Oaky, would you be defending him if he weren't INTJ?

Are you just being sympathetic to INTJ weaknesses?

I don't think he's defending him as a person, tbh. He's just pointing out that we're a mob of people in our mid-to-late 20's ganging up and verbally assaulting a young teenager.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oaky, would you be defending him if he weren't INTJ?

Are you just being sympathetic to INTJ weaknesses?
I'm not defending him. I'm stating what I'd state were any 15 year old child were arguing with people far older than his age biologically and hopefully mentally. Whether ESFP or INTJ.

EDIT: Ah, patches said the same.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think he's defending him as a person, tbh. He's just pointing out that we're a mob of people in our mid-to-late 20's ganging up and verbally assaulting a young teenager.

...who is saying really hateful things.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Exactly.

And acting overtly aggressive in a manner that wouldn't be done in real life while accusing him of the same thing.

I find this to be a simple example of how anonymity on the internet leads to a less civilized action and reaction.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I swear if I posted INTJ "stupid" myth it wouldn't last 5 seconds. because of the preconceived notion about the type.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
but hey, it's better to learn these things through discussions on an internet forum than through a terrible misunderstanding that would inevitably come from him trying to apply his ideas in real life :shrug:

AGREED. It's much better for this to happen in writing from strangers than to actually have people IRL confront him. No one is yelling at him.

80 to 100 years ago, children were treated like adults from the time they were about five years old. 40 or 50 years ago, they were treated like adults as young as he is.

There were rulers in history younger than this kid.

He's reached an age where if he wants to dish it out, he can learn to take it. It's not like anyone is screaming at him, threatening him, or telling him to stop talking.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Isn't much use now is it? It's been going on for quite the while with not much avail. :biggrin:

then it's obviously time to restrict him or something if other means are ineffective... I could have claimed that MY age was 15... would that mean that I could be given more leeway? :huh:

in other words, if I have to behave no matter what, he should have to as well... this is an internet forum, people here are expected to act like grown ups (even though they frequently do not!) if they're going to participate- otherwise it feels like there's a double standard :(

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
15 years old is old enough to face the consequences of the words you choose to use to express your opinions.

Sometimes the consequence is getting you teeth verbally kicked in by a mob. You either learn to not sound like such an asshole or you just keep doing it and get your teeth kicked in some more. Life's kinda like that.

A 15 year old is not a child. Treating a 15 year old like they have no accountability or ignoring their behavior because they are young is not going to do them much of a service when a few years pass and people are suddenly expecting them to act like an adult.

Just sayin'.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Right now, I'm more interested in the behavior of the 30 year olds. I expect this from a fifteen year old INTP or INTJ.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
hmmm when I was 15 i wouldn't be caught dead with someone who liked reality tv, now I have friends who watch jersey shore and even though I think it's garbage I realize they're smart and we don't talk about jersey shore. Your view of people changes as you get older, you begin to realize you're not always right and infact 80% of the time you're wrong. But you keep on going and one day you may reach the top or not Rosa Parks is probably smarter than me. Hell most people probably are, but it's not that huge of a deal to me I'll die alone but I'll die happy.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm wondering if he's going to be more insulted by the people treating him like an adult...or the people talking about him like he's a baby.

I'm guessing he'd be more insulted by the latter.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And acting overtly aggressive in a manner that wouldn't be done in real life.

Yes, it wouldn't be. This is a highly unstable virtual environment with different rules and conditions. One has to accept that, or leave. Taking these forums lightly is self-evident for most of our generation, and it's a huge mistake to force a code of conduct applicable in the real world on a chatroom or a bulletin board. The two are not compatible.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
then it's obviously time to restrict him or something if other means are ineffective... I could have claimed that MY age was 15... would that mean that I could be given more leeway? :huh:

in other words, if I have to behave no matter what, he should have to as well... this is an internet forum, people here are expected to act like grown ups (even though they frequently do not!) if they're going to participate- otherwise it feels like there's a double standard :(
You don't have to agree to his saying. Either ignore him or give him simple reasoning why he is wrong and leave it at that. Continuously injecting into it, that's where things look a bit wrong.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The only reason I addressed Perch's age at all is because of the statements on abstract thinking and doing well in school, simply to state that the high school and college perspectives on this are going to be way different.

Other than that, I'm dealing with correcting the logical inconsistencies here, not on who in the universe this Perch420 kid is and whether he/she is a kid or not.

Though on the personal level, it is kind of interesting. Scares me to remember my misunderstandings of intelligence and type when I was 18 (I was totally clueless about it at age 15)

But this is about the ESFP 'stupid' myth, which despite a couple posters being tricky, is thoroughly busted :cool:

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Yes, it wouldn't be. This is a highly unstable virtual environment with different rules and conditions. One has to accept that, or leave. Taking these forums lightly is self-evident for most of our generation, and it's a huge mistake to force a code of conduct applicable in the real world on a chatroom or a bulletin board. The two are not compatible.
I have no idea what you just said to me, but it sounded smart.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You don't have to agree to his saying. Either ignore him or give him simple reasoning why he is wrong and leave it at that. Continuously injecting into it, that's where things look a bit wrong.

I simply reminded him that his argument had flaws and pointed out what they were... this thread needs to die because I'm really tired of people using personality type as a rationale for deciding that someone else is inadequate in some way :sick:

intolerant people need to have the flaws in their logic pointed out to them before they become old enough to vote :)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You don't have to follow the code of conduct of course. Though, it's a waste of time, you won't benefit from anything and you're debating with a kid. Which is all nice if that's what you're going for.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have no idea what you just said to me, but it sounded smart.

I'm saying that I don't have to consider your age or place in social hierarchy if I can't see you and can't hear you. You could be anybody, and since it's a lot harder to determine this on the Internet than irl, I can't be expected to treat you the same way. Most young people going online accept these "rules" unknowingly, and those who don't will be disappointed.

Which means it might be morally reprehensible to kick the ass of a child irl, but doing the same to a "child" on the Internet definitely isn't.

Sorry about the language use, I find it hard to express myself in a simple manner in English.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You guys who are talking about him like he's precious etc. are really making yourselves look worse in his eyes than we are, I can almost guarentee you that.

No fifteen year old wants to be talked about in the way you guys are doing. You're the ones alienating him.

I see this a lot, including IRL.

rav3n

I'm with Oakysage and Haight. Since finding out that he's 15, much of what he posts displays this so some leeway could and in my opinion, should be given.