• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The ESFP "stupid" myth.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Ninth Doctor is an extremely intelligent ESFP.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
And what about Dickon in the Secret Garden (F.H. Burnett)? You wouldn't call him intelligent (in the narrow NT meaning) but he isn't stupid either. In fact, that's a character who is kind, helpful, able to 'be at home whether at Buckingham Palace of at the bottom of a coal mine' and able to make friends with everyone. He's teaching everybody how to use Se :D
Most of those stupid ESFPs used for comic effect aren't showing all those positive aspects that well, either...

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
IQ tests primarily deal with logic and problem solving ability, which isn't the ESFPs strength. They're not rational and are driven primarily by their emotions. I guess it depends what you define intelligence as. If you define it as g, or general intelligent, then the average ESFP would probably place at the bottom. They'd probably do well on an EQ test, or a spatial intelligence test. Most aren't intelligent in the way that laypeople define intelligence (quick thinking).

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
IQ tests primarily deal with logic and problem solving ability, which isn't the ESFPs strength. They're not rational and are driven primarily by their emotions. I guess it depends what you define intelligence as. If you define it as g, or general intelligent, then the average ESFP would probably place at the bottom. They'd probably do well on an EQ test, or a spatial intelligence test. Most aren't intelligent in the way that laypeople define intelligence (quick thinking).

:doh:

F/T is about decision making, not about having high IQ or being retarded emo..

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
So? What's wrong with my statement? Would you disagree? Would you say that the IQ of all the types is equal? That would be ridiculous. I'm not saying ESFPs are worse than INTJs, but as far as intelligence, at least the most common definition (abstact reasoning), INTJs would win by far.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So? What's wrong with my statement? Would you disagree? Would you say that the IQ of all the types is equal? That would be ridiculous. I'm not saying ESFPs are worse than INTJs, but as far as intelligence, at least the most common definition (abstact reasoning), INTJs would win by far.

you claimed that you didnt make a statement that you made, thats whats wrong. anyways, there are several ENFPs on this forum that have high IQ. MBTI and IQ measure totally different things, thats the first thing you should learn about MBTI

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
I never said specifically that the T/F axis is responsible for intelligence/stupidity, which is what you said I said. INFJs are one of the most analytical types, behind INTPs and INTJs, and they're Fs. What I said was that ESFPs, in general, are not very interested in abstract problem solving. What's wrong with that?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I never said specifically that the T/F axis is responsible for intelligence/stupidity, which is what you said I said. INFJs are one of the most analytical types, behind INTPs and INTJs, and they're Fs. What I said was that ESFPs, in general, are not very interested in abstract problem solving. What's wrong with that?

you said that ESFPs doesent do well on IQ test, and i said that it has nothing to do with MBTI type. do you have hard time understanding that or what are you disagreeing with?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Perch420
IQ tests primarily deal with logic and problem solving ability, which isn't the ESFPs strength.

Proof? Who's to say that the same can't be said for ENFP, ISFP, or INFP?

They're not rational and are driven primarily by their emotions.

1. Overgeneralizing.

2. Most people don't take IQ tests while letting their emotions guide them.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
you said that ESFPs doesent do well on IQ test, and i said that it has nothing to do with MBTI type. do you have hard time understanding that or what are you disagreeing with?

IQ tests for abstract reasoning. MBTI tests test for personality. People's personality largely determines their interests and likes in life. MBTI is a way to categorize people based on personality. The "ESFP" personality is people who, by definition, are fun loving thrill seekers who love the company of other people. These types of people are likely to do poorly on IQ tests because that's not where their strengths lie. What's the problem with what I'm saying?

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
The same can, and is, by me, right now, being said about all types whose strengths don't lie with abstract reasoning. INTJs do the best on IQ tests, followed by INTP, ISTP, and INFJ. All these types are either Ti-dom or Ni-dom. IQ tests are concerned with, again, abstract reasoning, which is a skill Ti and Ni-doms often have.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
personality has nothing to do with IQ... the two are not measuring anything in common... where the fuck to you get that idea? :doh:

*marks another one down in the book*

Jaguar

I can't believe this silly thread was brought up again after being dead for so long. :wtf:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know... why can't people leave necromancy to television? :thelook:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The same can, and is, by me, right now, being said about all types whose strengths don't lie with abstract reasoning. INTJs do the best on IQ tests, followed by INTP, ISTP, and INFJ. All these types are either Ti-dom or Ni-dom. IQ tests are concerned with, again, abstract reasoning, which is a skill Ti and Ni-doms often have.

when you look at percentages of what type has most people with high IQ, intuition has way bigger effect for that than being thinking type. some studies show that even introversion has bigger effect, than being thinking type, but others say that being thinking type has slightly bigger effect.

anyways, this is just about how many percentages of people with high IQ are certain types, so its possible that even ISFP would have high IQ, its just that more people with high IQ are intuitives.

Other personality traits being the same, an iNtuitive person (one who grasps patterns and seeks possibilities) is 27 times more likely to have a high IQ than a Sensing person (one who focuses on sensory details and the here-and-now).

Again, other traits being the same, an Introverted person is 8 times more likely to have a high IQ than one who is Extraverted; a Thinking (logic-oriented) person is 2.5 times more likely to have a high IQ than a Feeling (people-oriented) person; and a Judging person (one who seeks closure) is about twice as likely to have a high IQ than a Perceiving person (one who likes to keep his options open).

this makes INFP on average to have higher IQ than ISTP, even tho INFP has Te as fourth and Ti as sixth function, while ISTP is Ti dom

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
personality has nothing to do with IQ... the two are not measuring anything in common... where the fuck to you get that idea? :doh:

*marks another one down in the book*

Of course it does. Did you see the giftedness chart posted a while back in this thread? Only 2% of ESFPs are "gifted", compared to something in the 20s for NTs.

Are you really saying that all types have the same IQ? If you do, then you're an idiot.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
did you not read my explanation of self reporting bias in the MBTI a while back? And if you think that charts and stats can't say whatever the person using them wishes for them to say I feel really, really sorry for you.

actually, I feel really sorry for you anyways, because going through life with the type of views that you hold can't be much fun for you on the friend-making and finding a SO fronts :)

F

figsfiggyfigs

ESFPs ARE idiots. You're an Idiot, WE'RE ALL IDIOTS at one point.

:dry:

Last edited: