• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The ESFP "stupid" myth.

redacted

Why shouldn't statistics correlating personality type to intelligence be valid? It makes perfect sense, and if a large enough sample is tested (which, over the years, is undoubted), then the unfounded conjecture that "you never know if people are typed correctly" becomes almost insignificant.

Think about it this way; people that score high on IQ tests are more likely to be typed as N and T.

For example, two of the three ESFPs I mentioned previously I had originally typed as ENFP (and they scored ENFP on tests and self-reflection). Now, obviously I am not objective, but it took months of thought to realize my error, and more data than just one day's worth of conversation and testing.

Many test questions dividing N and S actually speak more to ability to conceptualize abstract concepts than preference to. Just as questions dividing F and T sometimes speak to ability to think critically rather than preference.

All MBTI tests that I've seen have confounded preference with ability...and for this reason, drawing any statistical conclusions really only speak to correlations between how people ANSWER test questions and intelligence rather than actual type and intelligence.

Your stance is the biggest problem I see with MBTI, to be quite honest. It's a good descriptive tool, especially to quickly explain big parts of personality. But that's all it is. A dimensionality reduction. To get to the interesting stuff about personality, you have to delve a lot deeper.

Your use is like calling a car a sedan and saying you know everything about it. Or saying that an SUV can't be fast because it's bigger than most cars. Well, how the hell do you know? It might have a six liter engine!

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
i didn't read all of this but i just wanted to say that i have a masters in music theory. i can't spell all that great but i can write Musette tab that would blow your fucking mind :)

Yes, I understand, you are capable of processing direct information and compiling it in a predetermined matter into something recognizable. Good little robot that you are. :)

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Every other type of "intelligence" is either subjective in construction, or clearly something taught as opposed to solved by one's own mental ability. Therefore, using my definition of intelligence, which is pretty much the standard in the field of psychometrics, it is clear that one needs to have both the innate processing power (IQ), as well as the ability to use that power effectively (personality.) From there, it is entirely reasonable to correlate intelligence with the different personality types, regardless of raw IQ amongst individuals of any one type.

picture-11.png

Not that i'm interested, it's just that most people base their knowledge on 'mbti and iq correlations' based on "what that other guy said" until it's accepted as some kind of scientific data.

Yes, I understand, you are capable of processing direct information and compiling it in a predetermined matter into something recognizable. Good little robot that you are. :)

I believe not insulting strangers would be the intelligent approach... as intellect does seem to be valuable to you. You've been more or less calling the guy stupid and he responds with some good humor, I believe appologies would be in order.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I know an ESFP that is studying pure mathematics. I believe she's doing it to prove to herself that she can handle this type of stuff. She's smart and she's doing well, but I believe her reasons to do it are wrong - she'd have a better comparative advantage doing something else, because SF types - when smart - can easily get the most complicated concepts but they're not as good as NT types at "connecting" them with real-life situations and/or similar problems on the spot, they need to learn the skill through sheer practice. This is why imho it's harder for them to hold an abstract conversation with an NT - we can piece together lots of different stuff in an almost automatic way, while SFs seem to compartimentalize more what is "school" and what is "reality".

I used to hang out with another ESFP that was one of the people with the highest brainpower I've ever met. She could memorize a string of phone numbers in a matter of seconds - 10 seconds 10 phone numbers, savant skills. But she dropped out of college because studying bored her too much - can't argue with that -, and eventually her INTP boyfriend left her because he was unsatisfied with her dropping out. What a moron.

I also know 5 or 6 dumb ESFPs, of course - hey, it's a bell curve after all, they can't all be smart.

redacted

And what do you do that's not predetermined?

Again, type is about preference, not ability. I'm not saying there aren't correlations between types and abilities, I'm just saying no one can really do a good statistical study on those correlations without better testing methods.

I would honestly be embarrassed if I were you; are you not critical enough to realize your own bias here? Do you not understand how cliche it is that an INT calls an ESF stupid? I bet you have a cliche response to this as well.

G

Ginkgo

To any sort of iNtuitive personality, the ESFP may seem stupid.

In this INFPs opinion, they ask irrelevant questions and won't stop being obnoxious. Seriously.

However, they can be quite charismatic and charming and they are extremely driven to meet their goals.

So, to answer your question, are they intelligent n. (General mental ability due to the integrative and adaptive functions of the brain that permit complex, unstereotyped, purposive responses to novel or changing situations, involving discrimination, generalization, learning, concept formation, inference, mental manipulation of memories, images, words and abstract symbols, eduction of relations and correlates, reasoning, and problem solving.)?

Yes, they can be. They just have a different type of intelligence about them than the INXX. In fact, I am sometimes quite envious of their ability to completely ignore all possibilities and just do something.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Think about it this way; people that score high on IQ tests are more likely to be typed as N and T.

Yes, because N and T are generally regarded (and rightly so) as the foundational dispositions for intelligence. To twist the notion of intelligence as something based solely on society's view on it is false and grows tiresome.

For example, two of the three ESFPs I mentioned previously I had originally typed as ENFP (and they scored ENFP on tests and self-reflection). Now, obviously I am not objective, but it took months of thought to realize my error, and more data than just one day's worth of conversation and testing.

I don't understand the point you're attempting to make with this. It has no relevance to anything.

Many test questions dividing N and S actually speak more to ability to conceptualize abstract concepts than preference to. Just as questions dividing F and T sometimes speak to ability to think critically rather than preference.

I agree, the test certainly has its flaws, and I myself have found that people will sometimes go with what they prefer (i.e. what they want to be) over what they actually are. But even if this is the case, people who consistently score as a certain type will clearly display tendencies that are attributed to their type. If they do not, then that person is discounted from any particular type until they can rationally evaluate themselves (which unfortunately, some won't be able to, and Ps and NFs are notorious for this.)

Clearly, I was referring to those who are real ESFPs, which I had gathered from the way they behave and their respective test results.

All MBTI tests that I've seen have confounded preference with ability...and for this reason, drawing any statistical conclusions really only speak to correlations between how people ANSWER test questions and intelligence rather than actual type and intelligence.

Even if that were the case (which I'm sure it is in some instances, due to the several flaws of MBTI), this would at worst give you inaccurate results (depending on the extent to which the results themselves are inaccurate) for those studies and those studies alone. You couldn't draw a conclusion based on every other study. It would have to be proven that people consistently score results that are far enough removed from their "real" type first, before we could legitimately research this.

If we are to assume that at least 50% of people score truthfully, it is possible to draw conclusions through statistical mapping (i.e. by employing factor analysis to map each consecutive variable and determine a specific correlation).

Your stance is the biggest problem I see with MBTI, to be quite honest. It's a good descriptive tool, especially to quickly explain big parts of personality. But that's all it is. A dimensionality reduction. To get to the interesting stuff about personality, you have to delve a lot deeper.

So basically, your main concern is that the test isn't accurate enough and shouldn't be used to draw any conclusions at all, am I correct in drawing this conclusion?

This comes off as the typical reactionary fear many Ps have of being "classified," and in so doing taking away their "special" place on the Earth by removing their precious need to be free to have options, although rarely do we hear why these options are beneficial to anyone but the Ps themselves. :rolleyes:

Your use is like calling a car a sedan and saying you know everything about it. Or saying that an SUV can't be fast because it's bigger than most cars. Well, how the hell do you know? It might have a six liter engine!

No, my usage is akin to taking all of the sedan's attributes and matching them to other sedan's that are better in specific areas than it, and drawing conclusions based on my given results.

As for the SUV, was that a serious question? I'll give you an opportunity to either revise your analogy or admit that it is horrible.

And what do you do that's not predetermined?

Again, type is about preference, not ability. I'm not saying there aren't correlations between types and abilities, I'm just saying no one can really do a good statistical study on those correlations without better testing methods.

My last post dealing with IQ and personality correlation makes a simple point that innate personality has a great impact on both IQ, and how that IQ is represented in the real world. It doesn't necessarily have to be a MBTI personality type in question. However, you have yet to demonstrate why we should expect to assume that everyone's preference will be drastically different from their actual personalities. Don't get me wrong, I understand that part and question it myself, but it is only one blemish on the test, which hardly takes away from the point I'm trying to make.

I don't think that you understand the purpose of the MBTI format. It isn't designed to let you prefer the answer which you are not, but rather seeks to determine what you prefer, which is indicative of how you think. The questions are formatted in an "You are/do/like *blank*, Yes or No?" format. If people are not scoring what they really are, then we can draw two conclusions about these people: 1) they are attempting to be something that they aren't, and never will be, or 2) they don't know enough about themselves to answer truthfully (which is pathetic.)

In either case, it is the fault of the test taker, and not the test itself. The test is only at fault in so much that it allows for this to happen. But then again, it's a psychological test, and until we can map and successfully correlate the brain's biochemical structure to distinct personality attributes, we will never be able to fully stop this from occurring.

I would honestly be embarrassed if I were you; are you not critical enough to realize your own bias here? Do you not understand how cliche it is that an INT calls an ESF stupid? I bet you have a cliche response to this as well.

Do you understand how cliche it is for a P, especially an NTP, to question the validity of anything that gives them concrete standing in the real world?

As for a "cliche" response, I don't really know how to respond to that. Is this a cliche response?

I believe not insulting strangers would be the intelligent approach... as intellect does seem to be valuable to you. You've been more or less calling the guy stupid and he responds with some good humor, I believe appologies would be in order.

My apologies.

deleted
Some ESFPs are stupid, some are highly intelligent. Their average IQ is probably slightly below average, but they would probably come out better in a multiple intelligence theory perspective, probably being above average in musical, bodily-kinesthetic and interpersonal intelligence. My best friend is an ESFP (at first thought to be ENFP, but cognitive processes test revealed she is clearly ESFP) with an IQ of about 150 and a musical genius, so for sure highly intelligent ones exist.

There is a correlation of high IQ to musical talent, but there is also a correlation of musical talent to high IQ, if you catch my drift. Neither are necessarily dependent or independent, so when people are thinking IQ is what determines intelligence, they are naive to the other possible forms of intelligence, equal but different. There is even such thing as spiritual intelligence that I'm sure a variety of people would detest to call intelligence. How does a system created by nonperfect people determine intelligence, anyway? You tell me. Obviously they just have things to express compared to those who have none to express.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
define.. spiritual ?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Nah, they aren't stupid at all.

My best pal's an ESFP. He is really street smart and has incredible Se that makes him a genius at maneuvering in social settings...he's knows all of the tricks and moves.

On the factual side, he is amazing at remebering detail and does really well with Math and Foreign Language..whereas I do better in Science, History, and English. It's funny how our types play that one out.

redacted

Yes, because N and T are generally regarded (and rightly so) as the foundational dispositions for intelligence. To twist the notion of intelligence as something based solely on society's view on it is false and grows tiresome.

I don't understand the point you're attempting to make with this. It has no relevance to anything.

You seemed to have missed my point. Take someone that actually is an ESFP. The smarter they are, the more likely they will be mistyped as N or T.

What I'm saying is that there's not a uniform distribution among people that are mistyped. Smarter Ss are mistyped more than less smart Ss.

Unfortunately, most of the people that write these tests seem to have the same implicit premise as you, that N means smart and S means dumb. So they'll word the questions accordingly. This leads to smart Ss testing as N.

Don't know how to spell it out more than that.

I agree, the test certainly has its flaws, and I myself have found that people will sometimes go with what they prefer (i.e. what they want to be) over what they actually are.

I don't know where you got your ideas, but MBTI is about preference. Why do you think identical twins are different types?

But even if this is the case, people who consistently score as a certain type will clearly display tendencies that are attributed to their type. If they do not, then that person is discounted from any particular type until they can rationally evaluate themselves (which unfortunately, some won't be able to, and Ps and NFs are notorious for this.)

Sure, I grant that people within a type will have certain traits in common (otherwise, what's the point of typology?). Those traits usually have to do with what kinds of conversations are preferred or what hobbies people have. Or which majors people choose, or which roles they play socially.

While it's quite possible that intelligence is correlated to these groupings, it's not like there are straight up causal links between intelligence and preference. And since accurate testing is so difficult, doing a study seems like it would get you nowhere.

Clearly, I was referring to those who are real ESFPs, which I had gathered from the way they behave and their respective test results.

So you have the final say in deciding whether someone is in a specific type?

Odd, because your whole stance can be explained away by confirmation bias.

Even if that were the case (which I'm sure it is in some instances, due to the several flaws of MBTI), this would at worst give you inaccurate results (depending on the extent to which the results themselves are inaccurate) for those studies and those studies alone. You couldn't draw a conclusion based on every other study. It would have to be proven that people consistently score results that are far enough removed from their "real" type first, before we could legitimately research this.

It would have to be proven. I agree.

If we are to assume that at least 50% of people score truthfully, it is possible to draw conclusions through statistical mapping (i.e. by employing factor analysis to map each consecutive variable and determine a specific correlation).

Too much covariance. You keep assuming uniform distributions.

So basically, your main concern is that the test isn't accurate enough and shouldn't be used to draw any conclusions at all, am I correct in drawing this conclusion?

This comes off as the typical reactionary fear many Ps have of being "classified," and in so doing taking away their "special" place on the Earth by removing their precious need to be free to have options, although rarely do we hear why these options are beneficial to anyone but the Ps themselves. :rolleyes:

Yes, I think test results mean essentially nothing. Not because I need to "have options" or whatever, but because the data is so tainted that extracting good information from it is more work than just throwing the whole thing out and starting over.

No, my usage is akin to taking all of the sedan's attributes and matching them to other sedan's that are better in specific areas than it, and drawing conclusions based on my given results.

You realize that the MBTI only has four dimensions, correct? You can't take ALL of the attributes and compare them, or you're not using MBTI (which I would approve of actually). If you want a full comparison between two people, MBTI is a pretty bad tool. It's only useful for quick, shallow categorization. And it is quite good for what it does. It just loses power when you try to go more in depth in personality psychology.

As for the SUV, was that a serious question? I'll give you an opportunity to either revise your analogy or admit that it is horrible.

Yeah, it wasn't a great analogy. What I meant was, if you just know that a car is an SUV and another car is a sedan, you can't possibly know which one has a higher top-speed. Because you don't know what's under the hood. You may think SUVs are slower on average because they weigh more. But they also tend to have bigger engines on average. And you can't see the engine from just looking at the outside. You can know certain things, like a sedan is probably faster around turns, and an SUV is probably better off the road.

But in order to do a good comparison, you need much more than a few surface level factors. You need to inspect the engine, drive each one around, etc.

My overall point is this: in comparing people, if you do a dimensionality reduction FIRST and then do the comparison, you lose lots of data. In fact, that's what the point of a dimensionality reduction is in the first place. To throw out data.

In either case, it is the fault of the test taker, and not the test itself. The test is only at fault in so much that it allows for this to happen.

A psychological test cannot just disregard certain people who take it. If it does, it's a badly designed test. If I wrote an experiment in my lab that only got usable data for half the participants, my professor would tell me to get my ass back to work.

But then again, it's a psychological test, and until we can map and successfully correlate the brain's biochemical structure to distinct personality attributes, we will never be able to fully stop this from occurring.

I mean...getting 95+% of people correctly categorized would be enough for me. 50% is definitely not enough, and I have doubts as to whether it's actually that high.

Do you understand how cliche it is for a P, especially an NTP, to question the validity of anything that gives them concrete standing in the real world?

As for a "cliche" response, I don't really know how to respond to that. Is this a cliche response?

Sorry, that was a jab. You just remind me of a typical smart nerdy person, rejected by society, that sits in his room and categorizes people, throwing out 90% of the population as stupid. "Oh, they're just idiots, they're jealous, I don't care about them"...it resolves the dissonance in your mind from being rejected even though you're intelligent. The truth is, though, if you don't get along with 90% of people, there's something wrong with your approach.

I, too, drew too many inferences from MBTI right when I learned about it. It validated tons of things about my personality. But what's the point in feeling validated? It just means you're less motivated to change your strategies for dealing with the world.

You're young, you'll figure it out.

Hah, I'm an asshole.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
You seemed to have missed my point. Take someone that actually is an ESFP. The smarter they are, the more likely they will be mistyped as N or T.

Why is that? Because they are using their N and T skills for their specific tasks even though their general temperament is S or F?

What I'm saying is that there's not a uniform distribution among people that are mistyped. Smarter Ss are mistyped more than less smart Ss.

Is there really any evidence for this? If this were true (which again, I wouldn't find highly unlikely), it would only mean that the Myer-Briggs test is not versatile enough to compensate for slight variances among each of the four "preferences." Again, "preference" in this case is supposed to be what your mind naturally prefers (leans towards), not what you want to be, which is what your general predilection is.

Unfortunately, most of the people that write these tests seem to have the same implicit premise as you, that N means smart and S means dumb. So they'll word the questions accordingly. This leads to smart Ss testing as N.

First of all, how does this happen? I don't see that at all. What I do see is that S is clearly inferior to N in almost all forms of reasoning apart from linear deduction when all the facts are known. That is, they can be just as proficient when it comes to deducting information, especially when the goal and premise is clear, but they have a much more difficult time making inferences than N types.

Let me guess, you're also the type of guy who thinks that IQ tests can be inherently biased, am I right?

I don't know where you got your ideas, but MBTI is about preference. Why do you think identical twins are different types?

Again, you misunderstand the way "preference" is used in MBTI.

As for identical twins, I can show you a study that has been conducted between fraternal and identical twins since they were in their infancy. The fraternal twins lived together for most of their lives, while the identical twins were separated at birth. To the surprise of the researchers, the identical twins showed closer signs of like minded thinking (most staggering was their similarity in IQ, which was as high as a correlation of .75!) while the fraternal twins living in with the same family showed a correlation of only .60. That is amazing, and further supports the ever growing theory that personality and intelligence (which manifests itself differently depending on one's personality) are much more genetic than they are influenced by society.

On that note, it is highly naive to think that identical twins share absolutely 100% of the same genes. There is growing evidence to support that they do not. And besides, nobody is discounting environmental factors. This isn't supposed to be a nurture vs. nature debate. :rolleyes:

Here is one study:

About.com: http://www.ajhg.org/AJHG/fulltext/S0002-9297(08)00102-X

Here's another article based on this study:

Identical Twins Not As Identical As Believed

Sure, I grant that people within a type will have certain traits in common (otherwise, what's the point of typology?). Those traits usually have to do with what kinds of conversations are preferred or what hobbies people have. Or which majors people choose, or which roles they play socially.

I find it highly ironic that you accuse me of looking at the superficial aspect of the different personality types when you are clearly basing your entire argument on how the different types mingle in the world, as opposed to the driving factors behind their respective behaviors.

While it's quite possible that intelligence is correlated to these groupings,

Not just possible, probable. In the field of psychometry, behavioral psychology, and sociobiology, it is accepted by all but the most ignorant that intelligence influences many aspects of our lives, and through that we can infer that it is related to personality.

it's not like there are straight up causal links between intelligence and preference. And since accurate testing is so difficult, doing a study seems like it would get you nowhere.

Look at this article:

Personality Predictors Of Intelligence Change From Younger To Older Adulthood

The personality types described here almost perfectly match the description of N and S, which seems to be what you are clinging to for some strange reason, as I haven't necessarily specified that S and N alone play the definitive roles.

Basically, when it comes down to it, S types are better at storing and gathering factual knowledge, but N types are better at reasoning and understanding said knowledge, which is what general intelligence is all about.

So you have the final say in deciding whether someone is in a specific type?

No, the facts and empirical evidence have the final say. Honestly, are you seriously going to question my motives? You imply that you are older than I am, yet you show these reactionary fears of losing control of deciding what is what. C'mon...

Odd, because your whole stance can be explained away by confirmation bias.

Hahaha, I won't even bother defending myself against that. Ad hominem, anyone? Red Herring?

It would have to be proven. I agree.

Too much covariance. You keep assuming uniform distributions.

Yes, I think test results mean essentially nothing. Not because I need to "have options" or whatever, but because the data is so tainted that extracting good information from it is more work than just throwing the whole thing out and starting over.

The data isn't tainted, and that was the point I was trying to make when I stated that even if the test was correct 50% of the time, we could still derive conclusions from it. I did not mean that we should ignore those who are not being classed correctly (go back and read what I have stated: that we should disregard those who don't score properly because they are not taking the test honestly), but rather those who are deluding themselves. Would you think a math test was "inaccurate" because it failed to incorporate the scores of cheaters?

You realize that the MBTI only has four dimensions, correct? You can't take ALL of the attributes and compare them, or you're not using MBTI (which I would approve of actually). If you want a full comparison between two people, MBTI is a pretty bad tool. It's only useful for quick, shallow categorization. And it is quite good for what it does. It just loses power when you try to go more in depth in personality psychology.

Once again, if you are going to question the validity of the test (which I don't disagree with in some areas, primarily due to the fact that it allows for preference in your definition to occur, as I've stated several times now), there is no point in discussing this. Prove that the test is showing such large disparities between actual personality and scored personality, or else stop using it as a defense.

According to you, most people who take the test score very differently from their actual personality, which I find rather comical. Why would that be the case? A personality test is there to measure your personality, not your "ability" to reason like an IQ test. While your personality may influence the way you reason, it certainly has no bearing on you answering the test questions truthfully.

I would say that it is people who want to deceive themselves about their real personalities that are the larger problem than the construct of the test itself.

Yeah, it wasn't a great analogy. What I meant was, if you just know that a car is an SUV and another car is a sedan, you can't possibly know which one has a higher top-speed. Because you don't know what's under the hood. You may think SUVs are slower on average because they weigh more. But they also tend to have bigger engines on average. And you can't see the engine from just looking at the outside. You can know certain things, like a sedan is probably faster around turns, and an SUV is probably better off the road.

This analogy is worse than your other one.

But in order to do a good comparison, you need much more than a few surface level factors. You need to inspect the engine, drive each one around, etc.

That is exactly what I am doing.

My overall point is this: in comparing people, if you do a dimensionality reduction FIRST and then do the comparison, you lose lots of data. In fact, that's what the point of a dimensionality reduction is in the first place. To throw out data.

I'm not making a dimension reduction, I'm making a conclusion based on given variables. Basically, I am stating facts based on what I see. If you want to question my facts, which is what you are doing, it is a different discussion.

A psychological test cannot just disregard certain people who take it. If it does, it's a badly designed test. If I wrote an experiment in my lab that only got usable data for half the participants, my professor would tell me to get my ass back to work.

See above.

I mean...getting 95+% of people correctly categorized would be enough for me. 50% is definitely not enough, and I have doubts as to whether it's actually that high.

Proof?

Sorry, that was a jab. You just remind me of a typical smart nerdy person, rejected by society, that sits in his room and categorizes people, throwing out 90% of the population as stupid. "Oh, they're just idiots, they're jealous, I don't care about them"...it resolves the dissonance in your mind from being rejected even though you're intelligent. The truth is, though, if you don't get along with 90% of people, there's something wrong with your approach.

I understand, you're a typical NP who becomes rigid and defensive when somebody begins making classifications and deductions. You question all of the details in order to avoid making it "definitive." I understand that you cannot help it, I just find the irony of it highly entertaining, especially considering the situation and the contents of your posts.

I, too, drew too many inferences from MBTI right when I learned about it. It validated tons of things about my personality. But what's the point in feeling validated? It just means you're less motivated to change your strategies for dealing with the world.

You're young, you'll figure it out.

Hah, I'm an asshole.

You think that because I'm a new member on Typology Central, that I am "just learning" about MBTI?

You're not an asshole, you're more of a clown. ;)

redacted

What I'm getting down to is this:

How do you know that you're not just typing people as ESFP that you think are stupid?

I'm not responding to possible correlations. I believe that there are correlations; like that Ns on average are more intelligent than Ss on average. I think I got off topic even arguing about correlations.

I was responding to this:

Let's face it, ESFPs are predisposed to stupidity, and there is no use defending them. They are shallow, linear minded, unoriginal in every way, tasteless, clearly lack abstract reasoning and don't care for it at all (sure sign of somebody with an insufficient critical thinking ability, it just doesn't exist for them!), and are "intelligent" only in the most practical of ways.

I mean...that's just a ludicrous statement. Unoriginal in every way?

All types have S, N, T, and F. Yes, N is the basis for creating novel connections. You think ESFPs have none of that? That's like saying Ts have no ability to come to value conclusions.

One of the ESFPs I know got 15something on her SAT. You think she has no analytical ability?

I guess I strayed a bit, but really, I'm taking issue with your applying correlations to individuals.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I mean...that's just a ludicrous statement. Unoriginal in every way?

All types have S, N, T, and F. Yes, N is the basis for creating novel connections. You think ESFPs have none of that? That's like saying Ts have no ability to come to value conclusions.

No it isn't. One makes an erroneous deduction about Ts, while the other assesses the traits of an ESFP and concludes that they are not predisposed to intelligence. Whether or not some ESFPs score high on aptitude tests and whatnot says only one thing to me: these people, who score as ESFPs and seem to be of that type, have developed other functions that allow them to solve higher level problems. In essence, they may be able to use NT to take the test, but are still SFs. Again, I don't know of many ESFPs who are like this, and even if that is the case, the behavior of the average ESFP prohibits them from accomplishing important tasks external of social pretense.

One of the ESFPs I know got 15something on her SAT. You think she has no analytical ability?

I guess I strayed a bit, but really, I'm taking issue with your applying correlations to individuals.

So what? Getting a high score on an SAT is not completely indicative of intelligence. These tests can be studied, are linear, and test knowledge of curriculum. I think the correlation goes this way: intelligence --> higher scores, not higher scores --> intelligence.

Honestly, am I the only one who thinks that it is oxymoronic when people claim that they know ESFPs who are highly smart/accomplished, yet act child-like and foolish, in typical ESFP fashion? Their Se prohibits them from using N to any degree apart from the most limited of ways (e.g. solving direct questions on an aptitude test.)

Looking at the list of famous ESFPs, we can see that most are either, a) celebrity performers, or b) artists.

Out of the two speculated ESFP presidents of the United States, one was a previous actor, and the other was a complete moron.

So even the presumably "intelligent" ESFPs are stupid in every other way but the most confined ability to use NT. After all, what good is raw intelligence if one makes little effort to apply it to anything in an analytical and insightful fashion?

redacted

No it isn't. One makes an erroneous deduction about Ts, while the other assesses the traits of an ESFP and concludes that they are not predisposed to intelligence. Whether or not some ESFPs score high on aptitude tests and whatnot says only one thing to me: these people, who score as ESFPs and seem to be of that type, have developed other functions that allow them to solve higher level problems. In essence, they may be able to use NT to take the test, but are still SFs. Again, I don't know of many ESFPs who are like this, and even if that is the case, the behavior of the average ESFP prohibits them from accomplishing important tasks external of social pretense.

So what? Getting a high score on an SAT is not completely indicative of intelligence. These tests can be studied, are linear, and test knowledge of curriculum. I think the correlation goes this way: intelligence --> higher scores, not higher scores --> intelligence.

Honestly, am I the only one who thinks that it is oxymoronic when people claim that they know ESFPs who are highly smart/accomplished, yet act child-like and foolish, in typical ESFP fashion? Their Se prohibits them from using N to any degree apart from the most limited of ways (e.g. solving direct questions on an aptitude test.)

Looking at the list of famous ESFPs, we can see that most are either, a) celebrity performers, or b) artists.

Out of the two speculated ESFP presidents of the United States, one was a previous actor, and the other was a complete moron.

So even the presumably "intelligent" ESFPs are stupid in every other way but the most confined ways. After all, what good is raw intelligence if one makes little effort to apply it to anything in an analytical and insightful fashion?

Everyone uses N and T to solve problems. It's not like ESFPs can't. Everyone uses F to relate to people. Everyone uses S to take in input from the world. ESFPs prefer situations where they don't have to use N and T, but that doesn't mean they'll fail in those situations.

It's possible they are worse in those situations on average, but to say they have no creative drive, no analytical skills, etc. is fucking retarded.

So yes, ESFPs that do well in intelligence testing situations have developed N and T. Very true. But again, type is about preference, not ability. An ESFP math genius would probably prefer to run around and play sports than sit in a room in front of a computer. And based on their actions, you wouldn't know they were a math genius.

Your sampling is biased.