User Tag List

First 567891757 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Bart simpson is supposed to be an improvisor. Of course, he's actually perfectly smart.

Cartman is a dumbass.

In my opinion, cartman illustrates people NOT resembling TV characters. Cartman is an unrealistic representation of a domTe.
    lol how is cartman a dumbass?

have you seen 'Scott Tennorman Must Die' or 'Christian Rock Hard' or 'Ginger Kids' or...well, i could give you a list of probably 20 episodes.

he's a complete ENTJ genius.

his lack of Fe holds him back, though.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

nah. I actually think that's actually a role that ESFPs are extremely unlikely to play.
    And what type would you attribute the 'ditzy female' stereotype to, then? (I know they're not all like that, that's why I said stereotype.) Or, rather, which types would you consider most likely to play that up?
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Is Randy Marsh an ESFP?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

When I think of ESFP I think of Abraham Lincoln.

Now, what is the rest of your post about. Hollywood characters resemble people in real life? I mean, sure, I bet the villian in dirty harry resembles a real criminal, and House resembles a real doctor, and the characters in the Boondock saints resemble real people (can you detect the sarcasm yet?).
    You realize by arguing my point, be this a boolean matter, you're saying that most of what's written in hollywood IS based on type do you not?

Coincidentally, one criteria for me hating a movie/show is if it presents one personality type in a particularily biased/distorted way, or through the common cultural standpoint.
    So they can't be common, and they can't be fantasy. Well sounds like you're unhappy any vantage point.

I hope you're not implying that people's bias represents reality.
    Does yours?

I'm not implying but saying directly, (again you missed my point and over-assumed) that the personalities are derived from actual people. You'd have to be an fool to think that House was written as some kind of drama/biography. However, there ARE personalities like his around. Not many, but they exist. Just like the attitudes expressed by those in the boondock's saints, The office and any number of other T.V. shows. I'm sure even the OC encompasses a few personality surrogates, as unrealistic as that bull is.

Must you go flying off the handle at every one of my remarks? I choose words quite carefully. I suggest you read them the same way.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

In the IQ level sense, ESFPs aren't necessarily more likely to be mentally handicapped. But in the sense of constructing ridiculous webs of lies and misadventures they're buffoons... or geniuses, depending on how you look at it. That's why sitcom writers love them.

Incidentally, they often seem to be able to return things to normal, one way or another, in less than 30 minutes. So they're almost as good at getting out of scrapes as they are at getting into them, you have to give them that. Though about once a year or so it takes a little bit more than half an hour. Season finales.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    You realize by arguing my point, be this a boolean matter, you're saying that most of what's written in hollywood IS based on type do you not?

So they can't be common, and they can't be fantasy. Well sounds like you're unhappy any vantage point.

Does yours?

I'm not implying but saying directly, (again you missed my point and over-assumed) that the personalities are derived from actual people. You'd have to be an fool to think that House was written as some kind of drama/biography. However, there ARE personalities like his around. Not many, but they exist. Just like the attitudes expressed by those in the boondock's saints, The office and any number of other T.V. shows. I'm sure even the OC encompasses a few personality surrogates, as unrealistic as that bull is.

Must you go flying off the handle at every one of my remarks? I choose words quite carefully. I suggest you read them the same way.

I was just pointing out that those women in 17th century Salem were not actually witches.

What I meant by common cultural standpoint was- I think the common cultural and/or hollywood standpoint is an indulgent fantasy. Furthermore, I think this is fairly obvious.
    In one excercise that Nardi was doing, he mentioned that an ENTP had written a story about himself as a heroic prince who saves his kingdom through his intuition and thinking. Then he writes the story about an INFJ and he makes him incompetent and unable to defend the kingdom.
    Here's a much more extreme example: someone wrote a scathing review of one of Michael Crichton's books. In his new book, Crichton wrote in someone who is exactly like that reviewer and also made them a child molester in his latest book.
    The personalities in BAD movies only exist as the self-indulgent fantasies of thier creators. They result from being too heroic (in an archetypal sense-it's not a good thing to be over-heroic. Being over-heroic means not even noticing if we're turning something to shit). They also result from projecting our shadows on to the people around us.
    That's why I find it so easy to dismiss a TV personality type

MBTI
    ENTP

Ugh... I didn't say the characters would be carbon copies of those around them. Actually, I took specific care to mention that they WOULD NOT be.

They're manufactured products. You have to go into it knowing that things WILL be exaggerated.

Again you fail to differentiate between personality and actions. I grant that action is a manifestation of personality, but at the same rate, the situation can just as easily affect the writer.

Additionally, giving examples of a few exaggerated personalities being in a story doesn't prove, or even bolster your point. All that says is that we should be skeptical.

Anyway, the example you propose with Crighton doesn't hinder the typing. If someone wrote a bad review, and michael wrote about them exactly as they were, their typology would reflect that. Instead he portrays the chap as a criminal. To go backward with my point about how behavior is a direct manifestation of personality, the person's typology will be reflected by the actions he takes. Again, I didn't say that they're replicas, or scale models. Obviously the artists will portray them a certain way. The psychology that's drawn from that will change, as the subjective interpretation by the author is spilled onto the page, or recorded on film.

How can you argue that? No one's saying it's realistic. They're just saying that the artists are quite often (decidedly) non-creative, and realistic with their characters, so the underlying message -- the theme of the work seems more 'real'.

I guess you wouldn't know though, since you dismiss the shows, and presumably don't watch them anymore (unless you're a masochist).
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Oh and as a sidenote;

I've seen reality shows where the subject was an ESFP. They've almost always been fucking idiots... but then... that's probably a non-representative portion. It's not a random sample.

After all, it is the intellectually inept crowd who's more attracted to being on those shows. Perhaps a self fulfilling prophecy, but likely enough, a sample that is representative. I just won't stake a claim for it as official research.
    we fukin won boys

Lol the ESFPs I've met in person are quite... "dumb" in the things that intellectuales are good in... Though i do not know all ESFPs so i shouldn't conclude that but... who cares.

However, they are smart in thier own way. I met this one who seems like a professional hair dresser. She's amazing and she does it by herself and she is very young. She could make alot of money doing hair in movies and stuff. I actually view the ESFPs as quite amazing. They're not cocky at all and accept thier flaws- the ones i met. And they arnn't the most religious people (i like that quite a bit actually). And they are the ones who are actually having the most fun out of thier life. They will be the ones who laugh last for they seem to have the best life and the most fun.

I believe they are portrayed as stupid because they happen to not be the best in sciences and math. And those that are, are stereotypically smart

MBTI
    ISTJ

The stereotype is that ESFPs are stupid.

Peter Griffin seems like a Thinking type to me.