User Tag List

Page 10 of 85 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: The ESFP "stupid" myth.

My sister had serious interest issues in high school and didnt finish college (didnt feel like it). She tested well on standardized tests before college, partly because she can "figure out" what they are asking for (i.e. if the answers given are 2x+5; 2x+6; 3x+6 and 4x+6 the correct answer is usually 2x+6 )

She has since gone on to kicking butt at her jobs and being a top performer, she just had to care. She doesn't show as a normal dorky "smart" person but she obviously is smarter than the average bear.

I really think (some) can do really well at what they are interested in.

My mom is obviously intelligent and is esfp, actually.

Minister of Propagandhi Array ajblaise's Avatar

I know some mentally sharp and quick ESFPs, though they probably don't have the abstract reasoning and concentration skills to score high on IQ tests.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I just thought this pic needed to be on this page too.
    Yeah, it seems like she's not wearing a bra.

Also, the character seemed to lack practicality, but could do complex calculations for a catapult. I'm thinking the lack of practicality makes her an ENFP or maybe ENTP.

Also, shortnsweet is sorta an ESFP, and she seems plenty intelligent.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

6w7 sp/sx

I've never had a problem with school, or had anyone question my intelligence. Not a genious- but above average I would say. My IQ is 135. Got 96th percentile on NLN test to get into nursing school. 1150 on my SATs. I always got A's, B's, and C's in school. Professors always said, (and I agree), me not getting all A's is simply from lack of studying or not showing up to class all the time. (Well, if these are the ways to measure intelligence than I'm all set, in other words.)

I do better in some areas than others-(like anyone.) I am better with practical application, and hate hate HATE sitting through most lectures on topics that do not apply to anything that I will ever do. But I can get through them and understand them. I usually have to have a good picture in my head of something to understand it. (Words and numbers aren't good enough, need to translate to pictures in my head.) I think this quality makes me a good teacher, can bring things down to an understandable level. Most theory-based topics are just boring and its nice to have an interest in some of these subjects, but when people feign interest for the sake of showing how smart they are is annoying to me.

I would never try to act better than someone who is less intelligent than me, and I don't try to pretend that i'm more or less intelligent than I am.

I am more interested in stuff outside of academia, not going to lie.

So there.

Rats off to ya! Array Mort Belfry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    If no one else is going to say it, I will:

Wave goodbye to them boys.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    My sister is an ESFP, and she does very well academically. The only thing is that she doesn't really like any academic subject, or like thinking about any academic subject outside of school, and she would much rather spend her time doing make-up (this is not a joke, she spends an inordinate amount of time fixing herself up) and socializing. So it's less of a lack of intelligence than a rejection or devaluation of academic intelligence on her part. Otherwise, she is very cunning, and has a lot more social intelligence than many people I know (including myself, of course).

That's my ESFP sis too. She did well in school with very little effort, but dropped out of college because she didn't like it and was more interested in socializing. She plays the "dumb blond" when she is not dumb at all, but just likes the attention she gets, and she associates being "intellectual" with too "serious".
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

Senior Member Array defragmybrain's Avatar

I quickly think of Britney Spears when i hear ESFP. And nobody would be flattered to hear they have a personality resembling that of Miss Spears, so naturally I wasn't either.
    I am very aware of my inner-blonde, and i'm also VERY ashamed and embarassed of it because that's just NOT who i want to appear like to others. I'm very aware of my self image and it can be labeled and narrowed down to a few words: Classy, Brunette, Seductive, Charming, Intellectual.
    I guess what i'm saying is that i hope i direct this need for attention into areas of life that make me appear proud and admirable, and motivated, if not successful. That's only the way that i hope to appear - when i let my guard down infront of family and boyfriends, i am my sloppy, ditzy, careless self.
    In school I was a C student. Lack of motivation, general teen procrastination, no real friends and ultimately no real life. Teachers saw my potential and knew of my artistic talents, but really couldn't get me to give two shits about precalculus.
    I procrastinated straight into community college, where I found myself and became a freelance graphic designer. I also co produce a tv show.
    In my eyes, i've found myself and somewhat found my niche.
    - From your fun-loving ESFP.
    Se/Fi/Te/Ni, 44% E / 88% S / 62% F / 67% P

I have been close friends with four ESFPs in my life. Now they were all female, so there is that.

Nelly - Close friend in high school. Very charming, beautiful (became a model), and definitely would play the ditz to her advantage. Got me to do her homework for her plenty of times. The one time I refused, she did her own project and got an A.

Carmen - Close friend in high school and beyond. Practical, "down chick". Straight A student but not interested in school. Got herself into trouble with boys and having fun. Went to college for nursing, got knocked up a few times, dropped out. I don't think anyone would think she was dumb when they meet her, unlike Nelly. She's a survivor.

My Mother - Another A student in school. Became a beautician. Now mainly active religiously. People often think my mother is simpler than she appears, and then she drops knowledge that makes you go "whoa". My mother is the strongest person I know.

AJ - Long-time friend. Valedictorian. Magna Cum Laude who graduated college with a perfect 4.0. Masters in education. Has lived all over the world and survived a lot of situations many wouldn't. Has lived in the poorest nations and thrived. She's a teacher now. She accomplishes everything she sets out to do (except find the perfect man). And yes, people think she's dumb and shallow when they meet her.

6w7 sx
    SEE Fi

There is a difference between being smart and being intellectual. Just because someone isn't an "intellectual" doesn't mean they lack intelligence in any way.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Member Array

My brothers an ESFP and to give you the truth he is pretty stupid. But he is very well liked by A LOT of people, even kids older than me(and i'm in 9th grade)
    he can get friendships going at the snap of his finger pretty much. He is basically the center of attention while my intellectual self is left in the shadows...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Incidentally, I believe that I am a dominant Ti user, and I often have trouble explaining things that I understand well. It's a matter of organizing the presentation of material. I can have it perfectly organized in my head all at once, but structuring the sequential delivery of material so that others understand is a different matter entirely, and requires a different skill set that I am apparently lacking.