• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ayn Rand Characters

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
My initial run down from reading Atlas Shrugged and over half of The Fountain Head

Atlast Shrugged

Dagny Taggart INTx
Francsico ENTP
Hank Rearden INTJ
John Galt INTP
Lilly Rearden ISFJ
Eddie Willers INFJ

Fountain Head

Howard Roark INTJ
Dominque Francon INTP

Last edited:

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I really dislike rational egoism as a philosophy and especially as a sorry excuse for an ethical system, but she herself seems pretty solid INTP, with a fondness for the type.

lets eat pie

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w6
Rand is definitely INTJ. Also this thread shouldn't be to debate about Objectivism or opinions about Rand, but the characters in her novels. Anyway, it seems like just mentioning her name anywhere will start heated arguments so let's not go there.

As for her books I've only read Atlas Shrugged but here goes:

Dagny Taggart: XNTJ
James Taggart: ESFP
Eddie Willers: ISFJ
Hank Rearden: INTJ
His mom: ESFJ
Philip Rearden: XSFP
Lillian Rearden: XSFJ
John Galt: XNTP
Francisco d'Anconia: ENTP
Ragnar Danneskjöld: ENXP
Cherryl Brooks: ISFP

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
There were two types of characters in Atlas Shrugged: competent INTJ, and incompetent ESFJ.

She didn't particularly care for giving her characters depth - she just used them as a plot device to explain her philosophy.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I may be misinformed: I know less about Rand's personal life than her ideas/work. Anyways, I always took Galt and Roark as INTPs, and as projections of Rand herself. As Edgar suggests, heroes are glorified Mary Sues, antagonists are straw men.

(Which is not a referendum on ESFJs or INTJs, but more that the author took attributes she liked or disliked and then added universally bad characteristics, like incompetency or idiocy, to them)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ayn Rand heroes also look hot while either working hard or swimming naked.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I may be misinformed: I know less about Rand's personal life than her ideas/work. Anyways, I always took Galt and Roark as INTPs, and as projections of Rand herself. As Edgar suggests, heroes are glorified Mary Sues, antagonists are straw men.

(Which is not a referendum on ESFJs or INTJs, but more that the author took attributes she liked or disliked and then added universally bad characteristics, like incompetency or idiocy, to them)

:thumbup:

i havent even read any of the books, just watched about 20 minutes of one of the movies, but what she said about the press sensationalizing the plight of the poor really put me off. part of me did like the protagonist quite a bit though, strangely enough. maybe it was the obvious aura of elitism and insufferability?