First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Dorothy Zbornak in The Golden Girls: INTJ
    I can't believe I didn't think of that!

I probably can't have her as an ENTP because I have another character that fits the role too well. I want to make sure to have a variety in my characters. So that leaves INTJ/INTP/ENTJ. I would really like for her to be INTP, but I'm afraid I might not be able to pull it off. I read an entire chapter on INTPs and I honestly couldn't tell you a single thing about them.
    You don't have to write her as an ____ type. Just write from a place that is natural for her role in the plot- and the places she will have to go emotionally/mentally, etc.

MBTI
    INFJ

Haha... You're seeing the trees and I'm seeing the forest. Her personality makes all the difference in the plot to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Well, all you've described is the purpose she needs to fulfill in the plot! (So I assumed you were going for a plot approach to the problem, rather than a character approach. Not that a double approach isn't possible.)

*sniff* After I racked my brain to think of a female INTP for you and all: Enid in Ghost World.

I'm sure you know a least one INTP female, at any rate, whether you know it or not. Maybe you just need to get to know one better? Or, I don't know- spend more time at INTPCentral.

Take all with a grain of salt:
    What I know about INTPs: Can be "nerdy", can be slackers, can be geeky, can be cool. Can analyze things to death. Can be silly. When get angry/upset, might rant about how everything is illogical.

What I know about female INTPs: They sometimes masquerade as INFPs and vice versa.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Well, all you've described is the purpose she needs to fulfill in the plot! (So I assumed you were going for a plot approach to the problem, rather than a character approach. Not that a double approach isn't possible.)

*sniff* After I racked my brain to think of a female INTP for you and all: Enid in Ghost World.

I'm sure you know a least one INTP female, at any rate, whether you know it or not. Maybe you just need to get to know one better? Or, I don't know- spend more time at INTPCentral.

Take all with a grain of salt:
    What I know about INTPs: Can be "nerdy", can be slackers, can be geeky, can be cool. Can analyze things to death. Can be silly. When get angry/upset, might rant about how everything is illogical.

What I know about female INTPs: They sometimes masquerade as INFPs and vice versa.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll watch ghost world asap. (and Blade Runner)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Mary Malone ("His Dark Materials" by Pullman) - INTP
    (mature/balanced form)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

What about the character Scarlett Johanson plays in Lost in Translation? (sorry, I'm bad at remembering character names) -- IxTP?

Or Katherine in The English Patient -INTJ? (as opposed to the nurse who seemed more like an IxF? - eh..now I'm questioning Katherine..)

I'll see if I can come up with others...
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    Watch Bladerunner. Rachel is a stereotypical INTP. Rational, cool, highly intelligent, unemotional, precise in language....
    Yes, in that regard.

But she's not an active character. She is just a foil for Decker to act against or react to.

This is the problem with INTPs. They are not very active. When you write/tell a story, the protagonists have to actually be active... unless the entire story takes place within the perceptions within their minds.

Any INTP who takes a more active role starts looking like a light-hearted/whimsical ISTP... or if they are more social, ENTP.

They do better as secondary characters against which the protagonists react. Or in stories that are mostly about dialogue/relating, rather than action per se. That's where INTPs are most active, externally.

For example, Mary who I describe above is essentially the "voice of wisdom" in her story. Her actions consist of perceiving what is going on, then imparting her knowledge to the heroes.

Ricky in "American Beauty" is another male example. He mostly is just reacting to what active characters do to him, he is not actively asserting himself against others.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Well, the actress who played Rachel (Sean Young) is certainly active and getting herself in the news.

American Beauty is a great movie.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INFJ

Well, the way my book will be structured will be quite odd in some instances. It has a protagonist and 6 other characters he encounters on his "journey" that reflect 6 points of view. The story has a fantasy/adventure tone, but the main theme is that of friendship. I just wanted a strong NT female character because I know it will give a valuable perspective to my story.

The story will be told in third person and the story will focus on her development as a person, so I intend for her to be more than just a foil. I would like to have a theme for her that explores the idea of living an examined life, which is actually kind of cool since some type Socrates as an INTP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INTJ

What about Doctor Christina Yang in Grey's Anatomy? Is she an INTP?

Sandra Oh
    Last edited by INTJMom; 01-30-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Where'd the picture go?