User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EsoteriEccentri View Post
    I think he was an ISTP, err... no back up reasoning except that he reminds me of someone I know ^^ Not that I knew Darwin or anything =(
    Plus his interests - shooting ect. seem more S to me.
    Here's for an uneducated guess.
    but he came up with a completely revolutionary idea = N

also, wouldn't SP types be less interested in theory?

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post

I'm just going on what we learnt in school, particularly about his life when he was young.
    He wasn't a genius, that's a fact, but he was quite clever. ISTPs are quite open minded, and though maybe they're not physicists or philosophers I don't see why he couldn't be an ISTP. Because he came up with a revolutionary idea DOESN'T necessarily mean he was an N.
    Besides, he wasn't the first to come up with it. His grandfather had ideas about it, and there were several other scientists at the same time who had had similar ideas (in fact a letter from Alfred Wallace outlining the whole idea to the very word was the thing that pushed him into action displaying his book to the world anyway, so that someone else didn't get in first.)

...and he was born in my home town, lol ^^
    He went to the boys' school, I go to the girls' school.

It wasn't really theory. He saw that the common explanation just wouldn't work, because of what he had seen on his voyage. He set out to think of a reasonable answer. He had hard evidence, (in the form of many many dead things)
    Introverted: 100%
    INtuition: 95%
    Feeling: 58%
    Perceiving: 89%

5w4 sp/sx

INFP.gc

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I'm just going on what we learnt in school, particularly about his life when he was young.
    He wasn't a genius, that's a fact, but he was quite clever. ISTPs are quite open minded, and though maybe they're not physicists or philosophers I don't see why he couldn't be an ISTP. Because he came up with a revolutionary idea DOESN'T necessarily mean he was an N.
    Besides, he wasn't the first to come up with it. His grandfather had ideas about it, and there were several other scientists at the same time who had had similar ideas (in fact a letter from Alfred Wallace outlining the whole idea to the very word was the thing that pushed him into action displaying his book to the world anyway, so that someone else didn't get in first.)

...and he was born in my home town, lol ^^
    He went to the boys' school, I go to the girls' school.

It wasn't really theory. He saw that the common explanation just wouldn't work, because of what he had seen on his voyage. He set out to think of a reasonable answer. He had hard evidence, (in the form of many many dead things)
    good points. plus, ISTP has tertiary Ni. hmmm.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post

It wasn't revolutionary to the other people also working on it... he was (as with most scientific breakthroughs) in a situation where others had similar thoughts, and was building on the work of others. He owed a heavy debt to one or two, for sure. He just so beautifully realised it and refined it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It wasn't revolutionary to the other people also working on it... he was (as with most scientific breakthroughs) in a situation where others had similar thoughts, and was building on the work of others. He owed a heavy debt to one or two, for sure. He just so beautifully realised it and refined it.

Aw =( There's not many famous people to have come from little old Shrewsbury! And you have to go and discredit our greatest! I agree though. I think he came up with the idea pretty much on his own, but unfortunately others did too (although most of them probably didn't have as much evidence as he did as he got most of his evidence and the idea really began forming in his mind when he saw the finches on the Galapagos(sp?) islands. So maybe in that way he had an advantage!)

5w4 sp/sx

INFP.gc

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The thing is that any type can be revolutionary, but generally, the S is revolutionary on a subconscious level -- they make revolutionary discoveries (but it most likely wasn't their intention). The N, on the other hand, is consciously on the lookout for something new. S(he) doesn't just discover them. The S primary motivation is to explore, the N is motivated to create, and so with both, revolutionizing can potentially arrive during the journey.

Hence, sometimes the N can appear foolish by having an idea that's original to him or her, but isn't particularly imaginative or creative to the rest of the world. They consciously attempt to think outside of the box, regardless of whether or not the ideas are really revolutionary and life-changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    The thing is that any type can be revolutionary, but generally, the S is revolutionary on a subconscious level -- they make revolutionary discoveries (but it most likely wasn't their intention). The N, on the other hand, is consciously on the lookout for something new. S(he) doesn't just discover them. The S primary motivation is to explore, the N is motivated to create, and so with both, revolutionizing can potentially arrive during the journey.

Hence, sometimes the N can appear foolish by having an idea that's original to him or her, but isn't particularly imaginative or creative to the rest of the world. They consciously attempt to think outside of the box, regardless of whether or not the ideas are really revolutionary and life-changing.

Darwin didn't plan to make a revolutionary discovery ^^

5w4 sp/sx

INFP.gc

MBTI
    INXP

Aw =( There's not many famous people to have come from little old Shrewsbury! And you have to go and discredit our greatest! I agree though. I think he came up with the idea pretty much on his own, but unfortunately others did too (although most of them probably didn't have as much evidence as he did as he got most of his evidence and the idea really began forming in his mind when he saw the finches on the Galapagos(sp?) islands. So maybe in that way he had an advantage!)
    You know.. I've just been reading a short biography of him, and I see he did badly academically because he wasn't interested in the lessons, and kept doing stuff like unauthorised chemistry experiments (for which, read explosions, I expect!)

Makes me go back towards INTP...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Darwin didn't plan to make a revolutionary discovery ^^
    For which I will recant my previous statement and agree with you on ISTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    You know.. I've just been reading a short biography of him, and I see he did badly academically because he wasn't interested in the lessons, and kept doing stuff like unauthorised chemistry experiments (for which, read explosions, I expect!)

Makes me go back towards INTP...
    Still he was very interested in stuff like shooting (though I know that does not necessarily indicate S - but then neither does doing badly academically indicate N ^^)

5w4 sp/sx

INFP.gc